Failed software update error code 402

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well I as a member of the rescue squad am asking to be rescued. I have been trying to do the software update all morning since they got a root method for it, and nothing I do is working. I keep getting an error during the install and when the phone boots back up and I go to Settings>About Phone>Software Update it said it failed with the error code 402.

All the entries I could find on the Google machine either mentioned something about flashing radios, which I have never done, and they were for the S3. Or the posts went unanswered.

What I have done so far.

Used ODIN and the stock image to go completely back to stock
Did 3 Factory Data Resets
Tried downloading the update on WIFI and 4G cell signal

I was rooted on the stock ROM before, but have used other ROMs in the past, including Cyanogen and Hyperdrive. I had a custom recovery TWRP installed but wiped that out when I flashed back to stock. I had my SQL DB edited to add the WIFI toggle and the Hotspot, both were reverted back to stock.

So right now I am completely stock, no signs of root, custom recovery, or anything root related on my device or external storage. Update fails still, error code 402. Sadly I am considering taking it to the Bestbuy and having the Samsung guys take a look at it and see if there is something they can do. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Metalunna

Reaction score
I was also getting 402 (even after just about everything you did).
To resolve, I plugged the Phone up to my PC and installed the Verizon Updater software that is on the Phone's flash drive..(it is one of the disks that auto pops up when you connect the phone).

I ran the verizon updater software and after about 30 minutes, the phone had updated to the latest official firmware.
Been good since then.
***Also...Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but I also pulled my SD card out before the update.

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I ended up going by Bestbuy and that is what the Samsung guys did. I am updated now, going to root to get my TiBu and other root apps back.

webmastir

Reaction score
I was also getting 402 (even after just about everything you did).
To resolve, I plugged the Phone up to my PC and installed the Verizon Updater software that is on the Phone's flash drive..(it is one of the disks that auto pops up when you connect the phone).

I ran the verizon updater software and after about 30 minutes, the phone had updated to the latest official firmware.
Been good since then.
***Also...Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but I also pulled my SD card out before the update.

Can't effing believe it but their shi tty software did the trick. Nice! I tried everything after continuing to get error 402 update failed (resetting, reflashing stock via ODIN, etc). Didn't have any custom recovery or anything...just root when going to MD1.

Whatever, I'm on MK2 now. Hopefully, Verizon will push out 4.4.* update this year.