update error question

beaky73

Reaction score
hello to all... i received the update today and downloaded via wifi. then i installed.. the problem is during the install my droid guy ended up on his back with "error" under him. then once the phone rebooted, i had a padlock show up when the Samsung name appears and under that it said "custom". my wifi wont turn on and there is a lot of lag from when i swipe my screen to turn on my phone. i tried downloading the update via 4g and the same thing happened. any ideas.. i am unrooted

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
You say you aren't rooted but that sounds like what's wrong, to me. Is it a brand new phone - on Verizon?

OP
B

beaky73

Reaction score
i have the phone for about 5 months... i am unrooted... on verizon.. brand new

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I knew VZW because they had an update today. Have you had any other updates since you got the phone? The word "custom" in your post is what leads me to think it had been rooted.

You may want to add your model to your profile for future reference.

OP
B

beaky73

Reaction score
i did try to root but it never worked... how do i do a master reset

tkileh

Reaction score
Master reset unfortunately probably is not gonna do it what you will have to do is download Odin and flash stock firmware. What I had to do a while back to receive a ota. Even though when you tried to root and it didn't take effect it still might have tripped the custom trigger for you.

Sg4

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it did take and you didn't realize it. I'm not into rooting and have no idea what you may be able to do to unroot. You may want to look back at the original instructions. And that would explain the update problem.

OP
B

beaky73

Reaction score
i have insurance on my phone so i may just crack the screen.. and get a new one

tkileh

Reaction score
Not a good idea. If you pay for insurance. Just call Verizon and tell them your home button stopped working they will walk you through trouble shooting and just stick to saying that the button doesn't work and they will send a new one. But if you send back a phone with a broken screen. 1 they won't accept it or 2 they will make you pay full price.

Sg4

OP
B

beaky73

Reaction score
what do i do with the old phone.. send it back to them

tkileh

Reaction score
Yes. They will send you a new one and give you instructions. They will pay for shipping both ways as well.

Sg4

newbroot83

Reaction score
Its pretty easy to flash back to stock and fix it. Why not start there without loss of phone?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

beaky73

Reaction score
how do i flash back.. i have build number vruame7..

newbroot83

Reaction score
Download odin. Find the correct stock file. Run it. Go to youtube and look up flash back to stock using odin. It will show you the step by step

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2