factory reset

tannins

Reaction score
Ok, did it once and phone is even more buggy.
Going to do it again. Can someone spell out exactly the process on the phone how to do the factory reset?
Don't worry about back ups or anything, just where and what settings you use on the phone.
Thanks.

mike7728

Reaction score
I use hboot to do the resets, hold volume down first then at the same time hold the power button until u see a menu pop up. using the volume buttons scroll down to factory reset and hit the power button to select. oh yeah before u begin do a battery pull then start the process from there

OP
T

tannins

Reaction score
Thanks. I got impatient and did it already via the settings menu.
Is there a difference?
I didn't do a battery pull either. Problem?

acejavelin

Reaction score
Is there a difference?
Technically there shouldn't be a difference, doing it in hboot is "cleaner" but less elegant... the battery pull is just to get around fastboot, it isn't really necessary.

If you are still having issues after a factory reset, consider reflashing either the official RUU or the new global leak RUU, something might not have flashed correctly in the OTA update, your issues got worse after a factory reset kind of lends to that fact, it is extremely rare for things to get worse after a factory reset.

VidJunky

Reaction score
Is there a difference?

They say there is, I personally haven't experienced any difference, but do the HBoot method anyway. The battery pull really just ensures everything is down and no residuals exist just prior to the power up. I will say that if you search it Mike's method is the most common suggestion across the boards even in the ROM and dev circles, so maybe there is more to it than there appears.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe the HBOOT factory reset wipes Dalvik as well. Where the menu version only wipes data/cache.

Abe911

Reaction score
I have tried above but nothing happens when I hold the volume button down and push in the power button. To start is the phone on, off or powered down? How long do you have to hold down the buttons?
Thanks

acejavelin

Reaction score
I have tried above but nothing happens when I hold the volume button down and push in the power button. To start is the phone on, off or powered down? How long do you have to hold down the buttons?
Thanks
Power down the phone via the power button menu and give a minute or so (until hard buttons no longer glow red) then a minute or so longer (best to pull the battery if you can) then once it if off, hold VOL DOWN+POWER for 10-15 seconds and a message should come up that says "Checking PHxxIMG..." several times then a menu with options of FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, FACTORY RESET, CLEAR STORAGE, SIM LOCK, and IMAGE CRC, use the VOL UP/DOWN to move the selection up and down and POWER button as enter, select FACTORY RESET, press POWER and follow the prompts to complete the process.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I believe the HBOOT factory reset wipes Dalvik as well. Where the menu version only wipes data/cache.
Hmmm... didn't know that, but wiping the Dalvik would be very important here, if this is the case I think I will recommend all factory resets be done this way in the future.