Factory Reset Questions

Sprank1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Fairly new Droid user here (about 3 moths I guess).

I did the update manually to 2.1 and have been hearing a lot about problems with the Gallery and Google Earth and how the only solution is to do a Factory Reset.

Well -- I'm not having any problems with the Gallery - it is working fine and syncing with my picasa albums with no problems.
I don't see Google Earth in the Market, but really only looked because of all the posts about it missing. I probably would not install it anyway.

So ... on to my questions ...

If I do a Factory Reset from the setting menu -

1 - will I have to enter all my email settings again?
(I have three gmail accounts, and one email account in K-9)
2 - will I have to re-download all my application from the Market again?
(if so, will they all be listed in the "downloads" section, both paid and free apps?)
3 - will I need to go through any activation process with Verizon?
4 - will my bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. in the browser be saved or erased?
5 - will my screens be reset to the stock?
(will I have to re-add my gadgets, shortcuts and folders?)

I think that is all the questions I can think of at the moment :icon_eek:

And ... I did try searching for over an hour and found some information here and there, but also found conflicting information in different threads.

So - any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. :)

Chilazr

Reaction score
1. yes
2 Yes. But you won't have to pay again. Google keeps track of what you bought through your account, not your device memory. So you'll just have to go click on "downloads" and they'll all be there.
3. No, it might ask you to do the *228 thing, but not an "activation".
4. Erased
5. Yes

It's not a HUGE pain to do a hard reset on these phones, thanks to Google, but it's not something I would do just cuz I'm bored. The first time I did it, it was because I changed Google accounts. So there went all my paid apps, since it was new account Google had no way to know that it was me trying to get at them. But as long as you're not doing that, then you should be fine.

OP
Sprank1

Sprank1

Reaction score
1. yes
2 Yes. But you won't have to pay again. Google keeps track of what you bought through your account, not your device memory. So you'll just have to go click on "downloads" and they'll all be there.
4. Erased
5. Yes

It's not a HUGE pain to do a hard reset on these phones, thanks to Google, but it's not something I would do just cuz I'm bored. The first time I did it, it was because I changed Google accounts. So there went all my paid apps, since it was new account Google had no way to know that it was me trying to get at them. But as long as you're not doing that, then you should be fine.

Thank you so much for the quick and concise answers. I did the reset anyway - I had been installing and uninstalling things to try them out and after the 2.1 update I just figured it might be good to clean things up.

I did realize that a lot of the things I had installed on the phone, I never use anymore ... so now I have less clutter and phone is running great.

Thanks again.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. yes
4. Erased
5. Yes

Thank you so much for the quick and concise answers. I did the reset anyway - I had been installing and uninstalling things to try them out and after the 2.1 update I just figured it might be good to clean things up.

I did realize that a lot of the things I had installed on the phone, I never use anymore ... so now I have less clutter and phone is running great.

Thanks again.

Just a suggestion, (because you've resolved the issue already), but you may want to look into signing up at App Brain Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain. It loads up a list of all of your apps so that if this happens again (God forbid) you'll have a list to go by and it even makes suggestions for new ones that may interest you. The signup uses your GMail username and password, so it's painless. Glad it all worked out for you! Enjoy!

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
1 - will I have to enter all my email settings again?
(I have three gmail accounts, and one email account in K-9)

I'm wondering a bit more detail about this. K-9 let's you specify 'classes' of folders and how to display everything. I have A LOT of folders. Is this data stored on the SD card? Or is that reset too and have to be reentered?