Factory Reset before Lollipop?

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I want to know if I should perform an FDR before I update to Lollipop. I remember in years past, it was said to be recommended to Factory reset before updating android operating system to the latest and greatest. I guess it was to guarantee a clean slate for the update with no residual issues from any rogue apps or previous OS bugs.

Is it still recommended and did most of the Turbo forum members here do it. I kinda hate to start over from scratch and don't want to lose any if my 360 watch faces, though I think I have that worked out. I just want a smooth experience.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Personal choice on the FDR before a major OS update. It certainly can't hurt anything, but if you do, don't have it automatically restore everything that you currently have. Add apps, etc. after updating to Lollipop. Then you will have a clean FDR.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I didn't do a FDR before Lollipop even though I planned on doing one. (Small Orange Apple Kiwi hint, hint. Lol)

I did however clear cached app data prior to updating, then clearing the cache partition after the update. I haven't experienced any issues with Lollipop since I updated.

Last edited:
OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Personal choice on the FDR before a major OS update. It certainly can't hurt anything, but if you do, don't have it automatically restore everything that you currently have. Add apps, etc. after updating to Lollipop. Then you will have a clean FDR.
How do I keep it from automatically restoring everything? Can I pick and choose what is restored?

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Not sure that you can pick and choose, but you can uncheck Auto restore in Settings/Backup and reset/Auto restore.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Not sure that you can pick and choose, but you can uncheck Auto restore in Settings/Backup and reset/Auto restore.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I would need to do this before doing the FDR?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When I did a factory reset after updating my Note 4, you could tap check boxes at the beginning of the auto-restore to either install or not install apps that you previously had installed, but as I went through the list removing ones I didn't really want anymore, it was already installing and ended up continuing on. I reset it 3 times before I decided just to let it reinstall everything and I'd go through after and uninstall the ones I was ready to get rid of.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I do my FDR after I do the install..or if I get a new device I check for any updates.. Make sure all is situated..then i do an fdr..some say its overkill..I say..you do what you do.. I'll do what I do..my devices always run flawlessly for the most part..With zero lag..