Exchange integration is terrible!

Nolubez

Reaction score
Ok, at first I was ok with the fact that meeting requests don't actually let you respond without going to your calendar to accept/decline/etc. And I was even ok with the fact that the formatting is terrible, inline pics don't show up, etc. At least I could get my mail.

Then...

My account disappears. I have seen other postings about this, with no resolution. This also happened with my hotmail accounts and other pop3 accounts (of course never with gmail) to the point where now I don't even use the built in client for non exchange mail, I use K-9 mail, which is much better, not great, but at least my account doesn't disappear.

Now, I can't get it to even add an exchange account anymore to the built in client...

Totally lame... They better improve this in the next service release, just might have to bail out... :(

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this issue. I have Exchange and Gmail on my Droid and both work without any issues.

It may be beneficial to have a conversation with your IT folks to see how they have the system configured.

Mike

OP
N

Nolubez

Reaction score
Yeah, it's really not great. It worked fine for a while.

My IT folks are Microsoft corp, not sure what would be happening to cause this on their end. Maybe there is some "thing" that happens sometimes that causes the droid to just sever it's relationship and delete the account. Either way, it's a terrible user experience.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep that would be very frustrating. I'm not an sys admin but I recall conversations about how MS Active Directory impacts access. It can't hurt to ask. Did you call VZW customer service? They may be able to provide some assistance.

OP
N

Nolubez

Reaction score
Oh, another thing, forgot to mention.

Sometimes, when I can get it to connect to exchange, all of the email is switched around. Meaning, when you click to open one email, the body of that email does not match the header. You think you're clicking on a new mail, when actually the body is some old email...

Wonderful.

Anyone else seen this?

Silver Member
Reaction score
the default email client is terrible. using a third party app is the best solution. i know it doesn't sound like the best solution, but the #1 benefit of the Android OS is being able to replace your default apps with apps that you choose to use.

k9 is a great solution. i recommend touchdown to people looking for a more professional integration.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Try to kill all mail services - sometimes that will clear up the issue.

But,

For me I found touchdown force closes too often - I am going to wait for one more update, and if it is not fixed I will have to eat the cost of getting some other smartphone (not android) at retail, or just using an old crackberry. A smartphone that sucks at email is a damn waste - kind of like a car that won't make a left sometimes.

I have not even seen an acknowledgement of this issue from google, VZ and motorola continuously say I am the first to report it - but I have seen this on each of the three Droids at my company - several times. Sometimes with POP mail only, sometimes with Exchange only. Once it happened 45 minutes after a factory reset, with not a single market application installed.

K-9 is light years better for POP/IMAP, but does not support active Sync. (or ActiveSync policies).

OP
N

Nolubez

Reaction score
Totally agree John, I just installed the trial of touchdown and am also very impressed, hasn't FC on me once, it does enforce the exchange PIN policy, which is a pain but I understand why it's there.

Then k-9 for pop/imap/hotmail, works pretty good, however every time I delete a mail, the next sync, the oldest mail in my list becomes unread, the android mail client does this too, wonder if its a hotmail thing (or hotmail's pop/imap implementation).

Anyway, I am happy for now, hoping the 2.1 update fixed some of these issues... We'll see...