Exchange 2010 ActiveSync Issues

BKSuser

Reaction score
I searched all over the web and the forums to find an answer to this and so far no luck.

I have an HTC Droid Inc and it is great. I just installed a new Exchange 2010 server running on a Windows server 2008. The exchange server works great, however I am unable to sync my calendar using the native HTC Inc exchange sync. When I setup the account I get the error icon next to the calendar and the error states "Synchronization is experiencing problems." I have installed touchdown and that is working great. However I don't like the calendar widget and would like to get the native sync to work. I am not sure if it is my exchange server or an HTC issue. I have a user that is using the Moto Droid and that works great.

If anything I am assuming it is a SSL or permissions error on the exchange server. If anyone has any direction they can point me down it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

robwilson

Reaction score
I searched all over the web and the forums to find an answer to this and so far no luck.

I have an HTC Droid Inc and it is great. I just installed a new Exchange 2010 server running on a Windows server 2008. The exchange server works great, however I am unable to sync my calendar using the native HTC Inc exchange sync. When I setup the account I get the error icon next to the calendar and the error states "Synchronization is experiencing problems." I have installed touchdown and that is working great. However I don't like the calendar widget and would like to get the native sync to work. I am not sure if it is my exchange server or an HTC issue. I have a user that is using the Moto Droid and that works great.

If anything I am assuming it is a SSL or permissions error on the exchange server. If anyone has any direction they can point me down it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried using the app called Touchdown in the Market? They have a free trial, try it and see if it works.

OP
B

BKSuser

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. If you look at my orgnial post you will see that I have installed Touchdown and it is working. However I don't like the calendar in Touchdown. I have reviewed all the logs and I am finding nothing showing any errors. This is a test enviroment for us so we only have three users on this. One with the Moto Droid, myself with the HTC, and a standard non activsync user. Logs are clean so far. I am looking in the event log, is there another place in 2010 to review logs for Activesync?

Thanks again,

OP
B

BKSuser

Reaction score
A little more info, I have tested with the MS connectivity analyzer. That works when I manually set the activsync server, my autodiscover is failing. However that should not matter for the Droid because I am manually entering in the activsysnc server. I also do have a legit SSl cert on the server so it is not an SSL issue.

Thanks again.

rollo

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Same issue here. Exchange logs looked fine. Ended up speaking w/ tech at HTC and while mail & contacts do work fine Exchange 2010 is not supported (yet). For what it's worth, you can check the logs from OWA. Options (top right) -> Mobile Phone (left column) then click "Start Logging." Go to your incredible and sync then go back to owa and click retrieve log, it will email it to you.

Last edited:
OP
B

BKSuser

Reaction score
Thanks rollo for the info. I too got to HTC tech support but they were not help. Did they give you any indication on when Exchange 2010 may be supported?

Thanks again,

edgarp70

Reaction score
Exchange

BKSuser have you had any luck? I heavily rely upon my phone's calendar to remind me of appointments, bills etc. I am lost without it. HTC couldnt help...

OP
B

BKSuser

Reaction score
Edgarp I have had no luck. I have a theroy but have not had time to test it. I purchased the wrong cert for my server and when I open outlook I get the Autodiscover cert error, becuae it is using the built in Windows cert. I need to spend the $200 on the proper cert but I still don't think that will work. I am also waiting to see when the update comes out. There is rumor that the HTC Inc. will get the 2.2 update in the second half of 2010. Possiably as early as July. (At least I read that somewhere) I will keep updateing as I find more info.

Thanks,

mvelasco

Reaction score
I'm running exchange 2010 and have my droid inc connected via active sync with no issues. You do need a multiple domain ssl cert (go daddy's will do). Not sure why HTC told you they don't support it, active sync is standard, even works on iPhones/ipods.

OP
B

BKSuser

Reaction score
I figured it out. Thanks mvelasco for confirming my thoughts. I purchased a wild card cert today from GoDaddy and installed that. However my problem had two other issues. The first is that the user cannot be part of priority group such as domain admins. This will change your security permissions. I corrected that, but it still was not working. I created a test account and that worked. When I imported my calendar it stopped working again. I also had some recurring appointments that were throwing errors. So to summarize, you need to have a wild card, your user can not be a domain admin, you need reset the permissions of the user to inherit from parent, and then you still may have some bad calendar appointments.

Hope this helps.

rollo

Reaction score
Thanks rollo for the info. I too got to HTC tech support but they were not help. Did they give you any indication on when Exchange 2010 may be supported?

Thanks again,

No word.

I have to say a co-worker was able to connect to our system just fine.

I swapped devices, went to the Droid.

OP
B

BKSuser

Reaction score

Thanks again,

No word.

Rollo, if you read the last post I figured out the problem and it is all working right as rain today. Can't wait untill Google supports Taks natively though.

Good Luck.

rollo

Reaction score

Thanks again,

No word.

Rollo, if you read the last post I figured out the problem and it is all working right as rain today. Can't wait untill Google supports Taks natively though.

Good Luck.

Hm, unfortunately this doesn't seem to resolve our issues (we have a cert, no activesync for domain admins, and security is set to inherit).

(keeping this alive in the event that we resolve it - may help some other users)

It's interesting - my team's clearly missing something, but I'm not sure what it is yet. I've moved to the Droid but we do have two incredible users, we're on exchange 2010. One synced up beautifully the first time. The other still has calendar issues.

Calendar items created on the phone sync, however items created on the desktop do not.

TheMadScotsman

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I just joined this forum today. I have 2 week old Droid Inc and Exchange 2010 and the SAME calendar sync problem. It worked at first and then a few days ago I noticed it wasn't syncing anymore. I am my company's sys admin too and I recently installed Exchange 2010 Rollup 3 and I can't be certain, but that may have been the turning point when it stopped syncing the calendar. It will be interesting to see if either Exchange SP1 or the Droid 2.2 upgrade resolve this. The SP1 beta is out but I am not about to install that on a live production server.

I just did a workaround for now and setup text reminders for my meetings using the setup in OWA so at least I'll not miss an appointment in the meantime.

Also, I don't normally have my daily logon account in the Domain Admins group for security reasons but it is at the moment as I needed the privilege level for something I was doing - so I'll take it back out today and see if that fixes it like BKSuser says (still seems odd that this would affect that). Oh and I do have a proper Unified Certificate for our server from Comodo, so that should not be an issue. If the root certificate was not trusted by the phone, then surely email and contacts would not work either....