Engadget review on Battery Life

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by Deano2423, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Deano2423

Deano2423 New Member

So Engadget released their Razor review and my major interest was battery life. Obviously 4G is going to be a battery hog but I was hoping for greater efficiency. Engadget wrote:

Motorola Droid RAZR review -- Engadget

Ugh... 5 hours. I'm reaching a point where I want to say, screw 4g, what's the point of having apps like Netflix if when you're done watching a movie you're only able to make a few calls before your phone dies. Exacerbating this is the fact that I can't swap out batteries. I'm bummed and not sure what to do. My OG is dying, but I had hopes of better battery life. Anyone seen any other reviews that speak to the longevity of the battery?
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Chocula78

Chocula78 New Member

4G is gonna be a battery hog for a while until the chips are more integrated into the system. Next year we should start seeing better 4g battery life.

I plan on only using 4g sparingly because 3g is fine for 90% of what I do. If I know I am going to start a hardcore web browsing session, then I will crank on the 4 jees.

If I am going to use the 4g a lot, like watching Netflix, then I'll plug the phone in. If this practice kills the battery's capacity over time, I will exchange the phone under warranty.
  3. tc1

tc1 Member

Depends on what is considered "heavy use".

If constantly messing with the phone,checking Facebook,surfing or streaming netflix or even watching movies that are on the phone. Then people really shouldn't complain and keep a charger handy.

If the battery is terrible with "normal" use, ie, phone calls,texting,light surfing. Then its a problem.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  4. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Yeah I'm seeing a few reviews coming out this morning and all are saying very similar things... "great phone, great screen, battery/camera under par"

Sounds mostly familiar (*cough* Bionic *cough*)
  5. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

If it's just the battery and of course it had to be. 4G sucks, power that is, more duty cycles means more power draw.
    I have a spare rechargeable battery with a usb plug it doubles my battery. What about these cases for iPhones they have
    battery in the case.

PhoneSuit Elite Battery Case for iPhone 4, iPhone 4S
  6. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

This case would probably make the Razr about the size of the Bionic. I'd say unless you can pull off iphone battery life, let people swap the battery.
  7. Deano2423

Deano2423 New Member

Via Techcrunch:

Motorola Droid RAZR Review: So Close, Yet So Far | TechCrunch

Grrrrr, I don't know who to blame, Verizon's 4G network or the the manufactures for putting a tech into their phones when they aren't ready for it. Plus it seems like even when manufactures increase battery size (Samsung Note) they also increase the screen size, negating any of the larger battery's advantages... Very frustrated with the way things seem to be heading in the industry...
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  8. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I wish each phone was offered in 3G for $100 less. I really have no use for 4G and would love to have that option.
  9. tc1

tc1 Member

Uh oh.....this is a part of the reason why I canceled my preorder.

Overheating.....I had a bad feeling about that. Can't cram that much awesome hardware into such a tiny place.

My Pos thunderbolt does it also and I can definetely tell the phone slows way down.

With the nano coating,kevlar and gorilla glass I have a feeling that this phone will be melting down its sodering on the circut boards.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  10. benz0

benz0 New Member

5hr seems pretty good to me, right? I had a samsung vibrant with the extended battery, took me 4 1/2 to take it to 1%, stock battery was less than 2 hrs! Had display on at 50-75%, maybe 100% (dont recall) I had wi-fi on, downloading files, programs, played games, all at once, non-stop, just to see how much it will last. But sold the phone, and hated the bulk!
  11. mandragora

mandragora New Member

I think that is why most of the Bionic users switched to the extended battery. With the extended battery, there is no need to carry chargers around as you can easily get a day on it and with light use almost two. That will be a big negative for the Razor. What good it it too have a super thin phone if it always needs to be connected to a charger?
  12. Insidious

Insidious New Member

For those of you complaining, did you read the entire review? They were able to get through a full day of moderate use, and they praised it for the most part. The 5 hours is a run-down test Engadget does to physically push the battery to its limits.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  13. Deano2423

Deano2423 New Member

Yeah I'm aware of Engadget's drain tests which is why I referenced it. 5hrs is on the low end compared to other phone tests. If it was just engadget it'd be one thing, but too many reviews are talking about battery life problems, not to mention the reports of overheating. I don't know if it's the razor, 4G, or both, I do know that the last thing I want is to have to run around with a charger in my pocket out of fear my phone will die mid day...
  14. crwys

crwys New Member

You do realize 5 hours is the minimum this battery last? Battery Run Down means they are draining the battery as fast as possible. You should be happy about this.
  15. Deano2423

Deano2423 New Member

I specificaly commented on this in the post directly above yours... I'll quote myself I guess... "Yeah I'm aware of Engadget's drain tests which is why I referenced it. 5hrs is on the low end compared to other phone tests. If it was just engadget it'd be one thing, but too many reviews are talking about battery life problems, not to mention the reports of overheating. I don't know if it's the razor, 4G, or both, I do know that the last thing I want is to have to run around with a charger in my pocket out of fear my phone will die mid day..."

Not sure why people are trying to justify this. We are the consumer. We should want/demand more.
  16. crwys

crwys New Member

I could be wrong but I think the battery is the best yet compared to Verizons other 4g devices.
    4G takes a lot out of the battery, so this is really good. The way I see it is, only use 4g when you have to. 3g is pretty fast for me, I can youtube on 3g without buffering on my Droid X. I'm not sure when I will actually need to use 4g besides tethering, but I'll find a use i'm sure once I get the phone.
    No one is trying to justify, we are just saying, the battery is actually pretty good compared to others. Not to mention the battery will be even better once you put a custom rom on it, and I'm sure the built in battery control features will be a plus too. If you think you are going to be using your phone a lot to where the battery will drain in 6 hours or so, then get a different phone if it is going to bother you.
  17. lobo13

lobo13 New Member

The battery life issues are a concern. But, my Droid X right now after 2 hours of use with browser and some youtube drained to 30% after a full charge. So, I think this will be an upgrade for me Lol
  18. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

What I bolded is the key issue some ppl are overlooking. Even comparing it to the Bionic and saying its similar is nice, since the Bionic has the overall best battery life of all current LTE phones on Verizon. Pushing it heavy and it dies in 5 hours? Nice to me. And like it was mentioned....my idea of heavy might not be the same as yours. The only time I can push my phone extremely heave is lunch time and to and from work. So 5 hours will be great IF I decide to push it heavy at times.

That 12.5 hours of talk time tho....I KNEW the battery life was gonna be heavily scrutinized with that claim. If it falls short of that talk time....I might as well get the Bionic. I hope I dont regret pre ordering. If anything I can get a Bionic cheaper now...lol
  19. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

The point is, the battery is still an issue. For most people it might be enough, but I'm curious to see what it will do after a week of conditioning the battery and "smart actions" turned on.
  20. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

I take battery reviews with a grain of salt. Did they even bother to run it down and charge it all the way to calibrate it? Did they use any battery saving techniques? If we focus on some of the positive things said about the battery, maybe it's not so bad:

Source: Motorola DROID RAZR review

Source: Motorola DROID RAZR Review - Performance and Conclusion

Source: Motorola Droid Razr Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Source: Motorola Droid RAZR review -- Engadget

Source: DROID RAZR Review | Android Community
Search tags for this page

app to test battery capacity on droid razr

engadget laptop battery run down test

engadget rundown test

motorola razr battery test -maxx