Embedded Flash Videos not working

MightyT01

Reaction score
I've pretty much decided I'm not going to upgrade my Bionic to ICS when it comes out only because of the Flash Video not working. I can at least use my Bionic for flash content. I'll let some other chump find out if Flash is broken on the Bionic ICS like it is for the Razr.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
MightyT01 said:
I've pretty much decided I'm not going to upgrade my Bionic to ICS when it comes out only because of the Flash Video not working. I can at least use my Bionic for flash content. I'll let some other chump find out if Flash is broken on the Bionic ICS like it is for the Razr.

Plus a Million on that one brother!! I'm right with you!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

tmccorkel

Reaction score
This whole situation really sucks. I just bought my phone 2 days ago (with GB) and was EXTREMELY disappointed after the ICS update. I tried every browser and as many suggestions as I could find. I was on the verge of taking it back, until I came across a solution (for my phone at least). Hopefully this helps some of you out too.

Starting with a clean phone (no Adobe). If you have Adobe, delete it and reboot before installing Firefox.
1. Install Firefox
2. Enable plugins under settings in Firefox
3. Install the Phony add-on for Firefox
4. Reboot
5. Install Adobe Flash 11.1 and Adobe Air from the market.
6. Reboot
7. When you restart Firefox, make sure to change the user agent under Phony.

MightyT01

Reaction score
This whole situation really sucks. I just bought my phone 2 days ago (with GB) and was EXTREMELY disappointed after the ICS update. I tried every browser and as many suggestions as I could find. I was on the verge of taking it back, until I came across a solution (for my phone at least). Hopefully this helps some of you out too.

Starting with a clean phone (no Adobe). If you have Adobe, delete it and reboot before installing Firefox.
1. Install Firefox
4. Reboot
6. Reboot

Good tip. As soon as I do a factory reset of my Maxx, I'll post the results. I'm getting annoyed at the ICS update. The latest is FoxFi is broken along with WiFi Tether. Every time I start up FoxFi my phone restarts and hangs forcing me to hard reboot. Figure I'll start from scratch to make sure things are working one at a time, starting with Flash. Oh well, gives me an excuse to continue tinkering with my phone.

jaye712

Reaction score
Glad i found this.been lookin for answers, but by readin threw it(bummer),pain in the [butt]...hopefully someone will find something n keep us posted.i nvr tested any vid formats threw browser since ics came along until the other day

Last edited by a moderator:

MightyT01

Reaction score

1. Install Firefox
4. Reboot
6. Reboot

Well, sorry to report back that this method did not work for me, even after a factory reset. I have to say, if it were not for some of the other nice features of ICS, I would be looking to flash back to a Gingerbread ROM. I'm extremely sore that this upgrade finally broke Flash and Adobe has given up on it. This was one of the leading points Android had over Crapple.

highr69

Reaction score
I don't usually watch movies on my phone, but when I do... now I make sure that they're iphone formatted... :D:p:banghead:... ouch... dang wall. .

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
I'm not sure if this is what 94IT1 is talking about but this works for me. If I didn't find this info my Razr Maxx would have been returned for an older device with flash support. A big thank you to s36x at the Motorola forum link listed below! The first option is his and the second is mine, integrating his idea along with browser manipulation I used on my old Droid X. You may have varied results with browser performance with my option but if you want to use the stock browser for imbedded flash you can use the second option. These setups still don't seem to work on southparkstudios.com, crackle.com and some other sites but I've tested several other sites with imbedded flash that were previously crashing my browser with almost 100% success.

Option 1 (easy and should work with most imbedded flash) TRY THIS FIRST.
1) use Dolphin Browser HD
2) choose the iphone user agent
3) enjoy most imbedded flash videos!
Note: User agent can be changed in the options menu if you miss it on the initial setup.

Option 2 (probably more unstable and a lot more cumbersome, but if you're desperate for flash...) TESTED USING STOCK BROWSER
1) In the url field type this "about:debug3" (but don't use quotations)
2) hit your "enter" key. Everything appears to be the same but you now have more options :)
3) follow this sequence... menu key>settings>debug>UAString>iPhone.
4) enjoy most imbedded flash videos!
Note: this entire sequence may need to be repeated. I'm not sure if any triggers will change the settings back to the preset android agent. This became routine for me on the Droid X using the desktop agent (desktop agent won't help with flash but you can use it to view some web pages in desktop format). Source for Option 1: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e4c43c0368?start=31&stop=37 Source for Option 2: highr69

BaSHa

Reaction score
Seen this posted on Verizon's Facebook page, thought I would share it here.

photobucket-1377-1343447642135.png

MightyT01

Reaction score
I'm glad flash works for some folks but none of these solutions have worked for me.

Flash looks like it loads fine and then just stops. I've tried all these great suggestions. Even a factory reset. Now I'm liking my Bionic even more LOL. May switch it back as my main phone and not upgrade to ICS unless this is resolved.

Last edited:

toneyl

Reaction score
Okay, so the tips worked for embedded video for Dolphin and the stock browser (Firefox didn't work). What still doesn't work are video's from websites like CBS.com. It always hangs on the advertisement. I *think* that I tried it once and it worked with ICS one day when there wasn't an ad. Are most of the websites that aren't working, those that have ads? Just curious.

EDIT: Never mind. On ESPN video, the ads work but the video doesn't :(
And I reinstalled Firefox Beta, still can't see ESPN or CBS videos

Last edited:
OP
swallman

swallman

Reaction score
I'm really surprised there has been no official verification from Verizon that this is a known issue by now.

jaye712

Reaction score
I did almost every tip but still nothing.besides my service goin out every 15/30 mins or so(off topic,my fault)i made a call to Verizon the other day n asked if they heard anything about flash not wrking with ics,(playstore comments& on here"droid forums"that i wasnt the only one with this problem"droidrazr/maxx,takin a wild guess its at least 80% of ppl.. ,they didnt say much but it sounds like i wasnt the only one who reported that issue,n theyll look out on it..sooo,i guess iam getin yet,another replacement this Tuesday n see if it helps or not.i highly dought it but ill keep this topic posted

DROID RAZR/ICS215

tmccorkel

Reaction score
So, I posted a little hastily.. apparently flash still does not work on my phone. I was using vimeo and espn as my test sites. I think they were forwarding me to another format. My phone is only a week old, so I can either return it and activate my old Droid 2 or stick it out and hope for some better updates. What would you guys do?

Brian47

Reaction score
So, I posted a little hastily.. apparently flash still does not work on my phone. I was using vimeo and espn as my test sites. I think they were forwarding me to another format. My phone is only a week old, so I can either return it and activate my old Droid 2 or stick it out and hope for some better updates. What would you guys do?

I replaced mine with a rezound. It doesn't have ics yet, but is certified to work with ics. Flash is more important to me than ics.