Email notification

Knightley

Reaction score
I've asked this before but no such luck...does anyone know how to get a notification set up for when you receive an email? I currently get a vibration for my gmail, but I have several other emails on my phone and it never alerts me when I have new ones. I've tried missed call but it wouldn't do email. =/

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look at the gmail app settings. Check the "Email notifications" box and select a ringtone.

Also, you should make sure your notification volume is turned up in phone settings. Under sound & display settings > ringer volume, you can choose to set a different volume for ringer and notifications.

DON'T USE A TASK KILLER. DON'T USE ANTIVIRUS.

OP
K

Knightley

Reaction score
Thank you I got it to work but now it repeats constantly until I check my email. Any way to get it to just alert once?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Have you tried changing the "Email Check Frequency"? Not sure if that would work or not, but doesn't look to be any other way short of opening the email or clearing the alert.

I turned all notices off on mine because I was getting alerts all night long while trying to sleep.

Reaction score
Have you tried changing the "Email Check Frequency"? Not sure if that would work or not, but doesn't look to be any other way short of opening the email or clearing the alert.

I turned all notices off on mine because I was getting alerts all night long while trying to sleep.

where would one find said " email check frequency"? im using the gmail app and i have to manually refresh it to get emails

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985

where would one find said " email check frequency"? im using the gmail app and i have to manually refresh it to get emails

I'm having the same problem: I have to refresh the Gmail app to get new e-mails, but the Email app, where I have my secondary e-mail accounts set up, works like a charm. It's mystifying.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have sync turned on? An easy way to check this is to long-press your home screen and add the Power Control widget. The two arrows in a circle are sync and that should be left on all the time. If that is on, also make sure that you are syncing gmail (you can also sync calendar and contacts with google's servers) via your phone settings.

If all that is on and you are still having to manually refresh gmail:
phone settings > applications > manage applications > menu > filter > all > Gmail storage > clear data > ignore scary dialog box and click OK

The gmail app uses "push", meaning that you cannot set the frequency. It checks for email more or less immediately.

Reaction score
i just turned that on via the power control widget. about 10 min ago i was able to get into the gmail settings and tell it to sync. its working now since my phone just went off that i had an email from this forum. aminaked- you rock thanks! dancedroid

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
Do you have sync turned on? An easy way to check this is to long-press your home screen and add the Power Control widget. The two arrows in a circle are sync and that should be left on all the time. If that is on, also make sure that you are syncing gmail (you can also sync calendar and contacts with google's servers) via your phone settings.

If all that is on and you are still having to manually refresh gmail:
phone settings > applications > manage applications > menu > filter > all > Gmail storage > clear data > ignore scary dialog box and click OK

The gmail app uses "push", meaning that you cannot set the frequency. It checks for email more or less immediately.

I swear, that's the first time I've even heard of the Power Control widget, which was, in fact, not turned on. I fixed that, then sent a couple of test e-mails and -- voila! -- notifications. Thank you! I don't know what I'd do without this place. dancedroid

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great!

A lot of people are having this problem. Google needs to make the settings more user friendly...and they are working on it for Android 3 apparently.

lcosta02

Reaction score
I have the Gmail Unread Counter widget which works great, but I'd like an Unread Counter widget for my non-Gmail accounts.

I haven't been able to find one though.

OP
K

Knightley

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with their email (any account) push? Mine used to show up immediately and now I don't get emails until 15-20mins after they were received. My push is turned on, as is the sync arrow icon. Any thoughts? =/

ezydrvr

Reaction score
for droidx any help on how to set notification ringtone for an aol email? have ringtone set for notifications just aol doesn't recognize it gmail works ok

rb10475

Reaction score
Notify Settings

I've asked this before but no such luck...does anyone know how to get a notification set up for when you receive an email? I currently get a vibration for my gmail, but I have several other emails on my phone and it never alerts me when I have new ones. I've tried missed call but it wouldn't do email. =/

GMail/More/Setting/Notify once

Notify once for new email, not for every new message.