Email is wacky - Help

caminator

Reaction score
Hey guys. My email seems to work semi-ok, in regards to sending ...and kind of receiving.

The problem is, It doesn't receive the way it is supposed to. I have it set to receive every 5 minutes. It seems on random it will show me new messages, and other times I'll go hours before my phone tells me I have a new message, even though I've received several, checking through outlook, so I know I've gotten emails. I can go in and refresh manually, and sometimes that'll give them all to me. Other times it won't. For instance, I just received an email from 530pm, it is now 945. That's not 5 minutes...lol. Any ideas on how to fix this? I've even done battery pulls several times a day then openign up email and refreshing manually. That seems to work best, but c'mon. I'm tempted to go back to blackberry if this is how the email works on this thing. Email is the single most important thing for me. I'd prefer this phone because it does a ton of cool things, but I can't function without better email than this.

Any ideas on what I can do to correct this, or is it normal for the email to be extremely sporadic?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have rooted Droid and use K9 for my Gmail and the Corporate app for Exchange. Both work very well and push mail to my phone. In fact, mail hits my phone before my laptop.

Do you have your settings set for push?

OP
C

caminator

Reaction score
I have rooted Droid and use K9 for my Gmail and the Corporate app for Exchange. Both work very well and push mail to my phone. In fact, mail hits my phone before my laptop.

I'm using the stock email app. Push? I really have no clue. How do I check that? The only thing I know about the settings is that I have it supposedly looking every 5 minutes. Can you tell me how I setup push, or check if it's active? My Fascinate is rooted, but I highly doubt that is the issue.

OP
C

caminator

Reaction score
Are you using Gmail?

I am using gmail with one account and it seems to work just fine. The account I'm specifically talking about is a work email, but not exchange. It appears facebook doesn't really "push" notifications either. I never receive FAcebook notifications to my phone, but I can log in daily form the app and it shows I have a new message or wall post on that. What gives?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
It may be the protocol for your work will not push to your phone. Do you know if it is IMAP or POP?

kbillings911

Reaction score

I have the same problem with my gmail account. I dont have my phone rooted. Mainly because I just got it and I really dont know if rooting it is something I need to do or not. (I need to research that more). My work email is through an exchange and it's pushed through but it doesnt allow me to push any other type of email. Like the previous complaint...I use my gmail for everything and I have it set up to send every 5 minutes and sometimes it works great but mostly I have to manually enter the account for it refresh and send my emails.

kbillings911

Reaction score
I have completed the update on the phone and have seen no improvement in the email frequency.

normone

Reaction score
I have only had my Fascinate a couple of days. At first, I did get emails automatically but not as quickly as the 5 minute interval I have it set for. The second morning I had no emails at all. I went in and hit Refresh and they popped up. That is the only way I am getting emails. I have to Refresh the account. Verizon set up a gmail account and my 2 comcast accounts are supposedly pushed. Also, when I do get the emails by Refreshing, I don't get the email notification sound that I have set.

kbillings911

Reaction score
I have only had my Fascinate a couple of days. At first, I did get emails automatically but not as quickly as the 5 minute interval I have it set for. The second morning I had no emails at all. I went in and hit Refresh and they popped up. That is the only way I am getting emails. I have to Refresh the account. Verizon set up a gmail account and my 2 comcast accounts are supposedly pushed. Also, when I do get the emails by Refreshing, I don't get the email notification sound that I have set.

I feel your pain. Mine worked the first day and hasn't since.

ohfire

Reaction score
I got my phone about 3 weeks ago. It worked great until the update then I started getting Forced Closed on it. It no longer downloaded emails unless I totally rebooted the phone. I have now deleted my account on it and downloaded K9, I had used it on my droid 1 and it seems to be working just fine.
Good luck

kbillings911

Reaction score
I've been having problems with my email since day 2 of having this phone. I finally realized yesterday what may be causing most of my problems. I have been using Advanced Task Killer like an addictive drug. Everytime I do anything I click on the task killer to kill unwanted apps. By doing this, it was closing my email app causing it not to be able to sync and receive new emails. I had to change my task killer settings. Since then, I have been receiving emails more frequently. Its still not the push I would love to have but its better.

msjudyfoo

Reaction score
Fix for email sync - for GMAIL account

I had the same issue, but now it is fixed. Use the Gmail App instead of the standard eMail app. Go to Settings > Accounts & sync and under Managage accounts, make sure Gmail sync is on. Then, click on the Gmail icon and make sure "Sync Gmail" is checked.

The email comes in real time. Still slower than my computer inbox, but it comes :)

kbillings911

Reaction score

I had the same issue, but now it is fixed. Use the Gmail App instead of the standard eMail app. Go to Settings > Accounts & sync and under Managage accounts, make sure Gmail sync is on. Then, click on the Gmail icon and make sure "Sync Gmail" is checked.

The email comes in real time. Still slower than my computer inbox, but it comes :)

I have found that I cant use the gmail app for the purpose I need it to. I need to be able to send emails to groups and the Gmail App doesnt allow me to do that. I am now using the email app that allows me to send to groups. I still have problems attaching files to emails however. In fact, anytime I click attach and go to the folder in which the document is located, it says "no fiiles" despite the fact that there are several documents saved in that folder. I still havent been able to find a solution to that. I thought maybe it was the format that the document is saved as but I've tried different formats and different document viewers and nothing has helped.