DX wont connect to 3G if you enter a area with Wifi thats not assessable

knighthonor

Reaction score
Well I noticed this. When Wifi is turned on, and you move into a area that has a Wifi that is not assessable, the Droid X will not connect to the 3G at all.

I had noticed this at first when I was on College Campus and all internet connection to my phone cut off, even when I was standing outside.
I turned the wifi off to figure out what was going on, thats when I noticed I could connect to the internet again.

Problem I have with this, is if you are walking down the street using your 3G or Wifi, and enter such an area, the internet connection automatically cuts off on the phone, forcing the user to close out whatever app they are running, just to turn Wifi Off to get back the internet access.

Edit: forgot to mention the School's wifi connection is what I believe the phone is trying to connect to, but cant. So when Wifi is on, and you walk into this area, all internet connections cut off, including 3G, until the Wifi is turned off.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Well, to be blunt....thats not supposed to happen.

The WiFi if on, will detect a WiFi connection and attempt to connect, but if no connection is made, then the 3G connection will remain active and connected...

Are you sure the campus WiFi isnt an open connection, and that maybe it is too weak where you are for internet use?

I would test this theory of yours somewhere other than the campus...simply because my Droid X doesnt do this. Numerous times I have left my house with my WiFi "on", and as expected my phone detects other WiFi signals, but at no time does my 3G turn-off unless I actually do connect to a WiFi signal...

kevinkar

Reaction score
Bagz is right. I have WiFi on at home and connect just fine and use the WiFi for data and web with 3G just waiting for a call to come in. When I leave home, the WiFi remains on but connects to nothing. When I get to work where there is a WiFi VPN to which I can't connect (must use a Blackberry or company owned laptop for that), the 3G works just fine.

So if your phone is doing that, something else is the problem.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Well my phone connects to the wifi at work just fine. It switches from 3G to wifi. But in the case of my college campus which has a locked wifi, if I were to walk into the area of the campus with wifi turned on, all internet connections stop! It wont even automatically change back to 3G. I have to manually turn wifi off in order for 3G to turn back on. I tested this many times. I can cross the street and stand in a store using 3G while my wifi switch is still turned on. But as soon as I walk back across the street onto/near the campus, all internet connections stop. But the wifi icon pops up replacing the 3G icon at the top. So from here I try to run a social network app, noting happens. Tells me I can't connect. I try to run parallel kingdom it to tells me I am not connected.
But now I go turn the Wifi off, and then the 3G cuts back on, and all internet access is back and running like normal. It only does this when Iam at school, which I believe has a locked wifi connection, which I assume is the problem. But what Iam confused about is the reason it doesn't simple switch back to 3G when it runs into situations like this. When Iam at home, there are also locked wifi networks from neighbors, yet it doesn't have this problem. Why does it only do this when Iam near the campus? I shouldn't have to turn wifi off just to switch to 3G, even if Iam walking into a restricted wifi connection area or something

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Phranc

Reaction score
If you are getting the WIF icon on next to the signal bars, then you ARE CONNECTED to the WIFI. It may not be usable to you, but you ARE CONNECTED. That's why 3G quits.

You should go to the Wireless Prefs and look at the properties of the WIFI signal you are connected to and see if it's open or requires a password.

But you phone is behaving like it's supposed to, since it thinks it's connected. If you aren't authorized to use that WIFI you will just have to learn to disable WIFI while in that area.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
If you are getting the WIF icon on next to the signal bars, then you ARE CONNECTED to the WIFI. It may not be usable to you, but you ARE CONNECTED. That's why 3G quits.

You should go to the Wireless Prefs and look at the properties of the WIFI signal you are connected to and see if it's open or requires a password.

But you phone is behaving like it's supposed to, since it thinks it's connected. If you aren't authorized to use that WIFI you will just have to learn to disable WIFI while in that area.

+1 for the above^^^. Again, same as I said before..your phone is connecting to the signal, but it may in fact be such a poor connection as to not allow any real connectivity to surf or the like.

The fact that your DX acts normally everywhere except the school campus almost guarantees it is a network issue on the schools WiFi....do as suggested as well as making sure you have the proper log-in keys for the network and you may cure this problem...