3g vs WiFi for Email

jeff083077

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new to Android (coming from Blackberry) and love it so far. I've been working on getting my email accounts setup which are my Hotmail and GoDaddy email for my business. I use the POP server config for both my hotmail and GoDaddy which both work great with the phone is operating solely in 3G mode. The problem is however when I'm in my office and using the corporate WiFi neither my hotmail or godaddy email work because I think the phone automatically switches to the WiFi connection which has all ports bocked except 80 and 443 and the POP servers are obviously configured for other ports. So my question is.... is there a way to force Android to use the 3G connection for email other than by turning WiFi off?? It obviously isn't a big deal to turn it off but it would nice to be able to just leave it on so as to use the WiFi for internet browsing (when i should be working! ... oops)

Thanks for any advice you can give me

Jeff

kevinkar

Reaction score
I believe when you have an available wi-fi connection, the phone only uses that for data. I don't think there's a way to change that behavior.

There may be a way by setting up a VPN but I don't use my phone on my works' network and have not used that at home so can't help out there. I just know it's available. You might be able to set that up and select the right ports there.

OP
J

jeff083077

Reaction score
I did some research and it seems the consensus is that no matter what the phone is going to always use the a WiFi connection over the 3G connection. I'm guessing the carriers do that to conserve bandwidth on their end.

My other question was anybody know why my Hotmail and Godaddy email will not send deletions made on the handset up to the server. I know a lot of peolple suggested using K9 for this, but can't believe that the default mail client on the DX doesn't have the ability to do this???

xan

Reaction score
but can't believe that the default mail client on the DX doesn't have the ability to do this???

My DX cant even copy and paste from its email program...so im not surprised it has other basic faults.

OP
J

jeff083077

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty disappointed in the email capabilities of this phone. The configuration of my Blackberry was much simpler and worked very reliably. I do like everything else about it.