Durable (and slim) Cases

gymangel812

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a durable (and slim) case? If there is a good brand that doesn't have one out yet, i'll take suggestions on that too. I'm prone to dropping phones... so I need something to help prevent breaking as it seems I can drop my env3 about 500x without problems but i don't think that will be the case with a smartphone.

Reaction score
yes i can see that. but i'm asking for recs on a slim, protective case, not just any case and what cases people use/are planning on using.

Ok, read through the list of manufacturers, go to their websites, look at pictures online, see what you like and what works for you. I highly recommend the Seidio Innocase, which I just received in the mail today. I think it is a great combination of thinness, feel, style, and durability. You could instead just get one of the cheap hard plastic cases from Amazon or eBay if money is a concern. Those are probably your best bets. Very few other manufacturers are selling cases specifically for the TB right now besides Seidio and off-brands online. You could also go to Best Buy and see what they are selling, but it will probably be overpriced from what you could get a comparable one online for.

Also, slim and protective can be contradictory qualities. What is more important, it being slim to fit in a pocket or purse, or it giving good protection from drops? The less slim the case, the better protection (obviously).

OP
G

gymangel812

Reaction score
I was hoping for a happy medium between durable and slim. Obviously, I could get an otterbox (when they come out) but it is too thick.

Reaction score
I was hoping for a happy medium between durable and slim. Obviously, I could get an otterbox (when they come out) but it is too thick.

Ok, I was in the same position as you, hence why I started the discussion (we want impact protection, while not adding much bulk, and maintaining quality control, feel and style). Otterbox makes 3 versions (check out the EVO on their page). A cheap silicone, and heavy-duty protective, and a mid-range (provides the best of both worlds). The heavy one is the Defender, and the mid-range is the Commuter (which I think will be the top case for this phone when it finally releases). Not too thick or thin, ample protection, style, and quality. However, the Seidio Innocase was available now, and it is a very good competitor, and Otterbox won't have anything for the TBolt for 1-3 months, imo. Do you want a case right away when you get the phone, or can you wait awhile?

shortsxit

Reaction score
Remember, this is going to be a thick phone to start with. It's said that it's as thick as the hump on the Droid X, but it has rounded edges, like an iPhone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'll just take 2 shell/holsters and buy some food with the rest of the money I saved :woot:

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

asianrage

Reaction score

Here's a more accurate price for the item. HERE

I am using this case right now and it is an excellent case for the money.

I wrote up a post about this at the AC.com forum. Here it is wholesale

This case is my new favorite accessory for the Thunderbolt. I got it for 7 bucks and it's great item. It's similar to the Case Mate POP! in that there are two distinct material in play, the black TPU material for the grip area, and the clear plastic/polycarbonate(?) material for the back. Good fit and finish, with a very premium feel in hand. Design wise, it looks exactly like the bumper case for the iPhone 4. It would be nice there there were more color options (e.g. black, red, white, blue) or finish (chrome or aluminum). I like how the volume button got covered with its own (semi) raised button area. And, as with other clear plastic/polycarbonate case, it does show scratches as easily as you slide it around. What do you expect.

Two minor demerits though, since the power button is treated in the same way, there is much more give to the top area (relatively speaking), which means I get the same problem as the Pop! case, where you really have to press down harder on the power button area in order to activate it. And the kickstand area is a bit tight, requiring that I use my finger nail to pick out the kickstand piece. However, I don't mind it as much since I don't use the kickstand very much. It's a minor niggle.

Overall, the case is only 7-10 dollars (depending on which eBay sellers you happen upon) and at those price point, I have to recommend that everyone try it out. I'll have to buy myself a couple more cases after this.
And here's some pics of the case.

Reaction score
I use the slick silicone case i got from the verizon store. Its a great case. Its what i used on my droid inc. I dropped that phone 2 times and its still working and cosmetically perfect.

words from my thunderbolt