1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Dumb Droid Flaw!

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by slinky, May 27, 2010.

1. slinky

slinky New Member

OK... I have discovered why many of my calls have problems with answering. When I pick up the phone, I realize I am hitting the camera button inadvertently. The phone then goes epileptic and can't do anything but try to take control of the camera lens (of course, answering the call isn't as important.) It's the same issue as the volume indicator going up and down and the need for something like ring guard. Couldn't they have put the camera button somewhere else, even at the top of the phone where you don't usually press when picking it up?

Motorola did a good job of initial design but so many of these things could have been solved with a modicum of QA!!!!
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Should send an email of that to the company. I never noticed this.
  3. Guchi

Guchi New Member

thats always been their think, design the best phone and then by production have it ever so slightly wrong. I think the slider mechanism also falls under this umbrella, have you ever used the slider on a G1?
  4. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Yea me either, I actually have to hold down the camera button for a few seconds for it to open the camera app idk if thats stock behavior or not since I only had my droid for 2 days before I rooted it.
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

If you're having an issue with that camera button and phone calls, download the app that makes the camera button answer the phone calls. Problem solved. :)
  6. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Hahahaha. Hook saves the day again..
  7. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Alot of this is supposed to be fix in 2.2, except obviously where the button is and I agee, the buttons for camera and volume are in terrible spots, and also are ery flimsy.. (ie: You dont even know you hit them 1/2 the time)
  8. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Hook whats the app called?
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Tedd's Droid Tools Beta
  10. slinky

slinky New Member

Cool, thanks. Regarding the camera button sensitivity, taking a picture requires a click but if you hit that button slightly, the camera function seizes control of the phone to work with the lens. Phone goes haywire trying to connect the two. It's maddening and the phone could crash. Thanks for this.
  11. SpykeZ

SpykeZ New Member

Odd, for my camera button to activate I gotta hold it for like 2 seconds
  12. slinky

slinky New Member

Really? You just touch the button on mine like any other and it activates. Same with the big volume buttons which ALWAYS get press and usually turn off the ringer altogether! That's why ring guard or camera guard or whatever are ESSENTIAL with this phone. You'd think nobody at Motorola ever used it before release, lol.
  13. SpykeZ

SpykeZ New Member

that's really weird, I thought I may have been silly and just rechecked and I can hit my camera button all day and it doesn't do anything unless I hold it down, gives me a virbrate pulse then activates camera.
  14. nphil

nphil New Member

Yeah, same here. I have to hold it down for 2 seconds for the camera to activate. Your button is probably damaged and permanently pressed in (There's two levels of press)

As for the volume button turning off the ringer.. that's the way it was intended and I find it useful for quieting my phone quickly.
  15. slinky

slinky New Member

My camera button is fine. It's just sensitive because if you pick up the phone and it touches the camera button, you usually do so for a full second or two before you manipulate the phone in your hand. All you have to do is press it down to level 1 and then it sets off the camera trying to start it up, as it is designed to do. My phone then goes into epilepsy.
  16. Taegost

Taegost New Member

I used to have an issue similar to that with my old i760 because the Send and End buttons were on the outside edges of the phone, making it very easy to hit either one accidently...
    I just learned to stop picking it up that way after a while :)
    As far as the camera button goes, I have to hold it down for about 2 seconds as well, but then, I have that button re-mapped to the HF Voice Dialer app :)
  17. dylanthecat

dylanthecat New Member

Slinky, for what it is worth, when my phone is ringing the camera button does not do anything. I can press it to the first level, second level, and hold it down all I want. Nothing happens. If I press the volume button it silences the ringer. In my opinion this is just how I want it to work. Sounds like you have a defect. (not you, your phone)