Moto Droid 1 Camera Issues... No More Droids?

7 VII 7

Reaction score
My camera on my Droid 1 is not focusing or auto focusing. Usually when you push the camera icon the lens will move in and out and hear it click on.... not anymore.

So I did a hard reset via X and Volume up button. No dice.

Took it to the Verizon Store and they could not find a moto droid 1 anywhere in their store, warehouse or any other location within 500 miles. I live in Washington DC.

So, is this the end of the Droid? They told me to check back to see if they will have anymore to replace mine, but "no promises". I do have the 7.99 insurance so what would they replace my Droid 1 with? Not having a camera that focuses SUCKS!

Just a FYI

xpezdj

Reaction score
There's a thread about asurion not offering replacement droids. It has about 400 replies. You won't really know until you call them yourself don't listen to anyone in that thread, too much going on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP

7 VII 7

Reaction score
Ok, soooo I need to figure out what they will give me then.

OP

7 VII 7

Reaction score
I called Verizon Wireless and they said they will send me out a replacement Moto Droid 1... they stated that is not new and is a refurbished one. Am I wrong to be upset with that? Shouldn't I get a new phone at least a new Droid 1?

I have the 7.99 Asurion insurance and bought the Droid 1 in Feb of this year. Should I just get the phone and send back my busted one and be done with it?

UGH! I hate giving me crap for crap!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to get a replacement Droid earlier this year... it was a refurb... to be honest... it was in perfect working order and perfect physical condition.

Just because it's a 'refurb' doesn't make it junk. But I completely understand the feeling of wanting a 'new' device to replace something you bought new.

Good luck!

OP

7 VII 7

Reaction score
Ok, I will take it for a spin.

lol, how many can I return before I get a Droid X?

Should I be going through Verizon for a working phone or Asurion for a better chance of a better phone?

OP

7 VII 7

Reaction score
Just got notification this morning, Droid 1 Refrub is on its way.

It is stated to be a "Like New - Certified Replacement!

OP

7 VII 7

Reaction score
Well I got it today. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!

the screen is not even touching the keyboard and you can see through the profile of the phone to the other side! Every time I touch down on the screen it taps the screen back to the keyboard back, so annoying!

The guy is stated that they will send me out another one... so my question is how long am I going to have to go through this before I get a decent phone or option to go up for a price?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The guy is stated that they will send me out another one... so my question is how long am I going to have to go through this before I get a decent phone or option to go up for a price?

Depends on how long you let them jerk you around....Be polite, Be Firm, Be Polite, Be Calm, be Polite, Be Firm.....

OP

7 VII 7

Reaction score
Ok, a little update. I am on my 3rd Droid in 1 week. You read right.

1st one (original one) camera broke, so they sent me a "certified like new" one... but when you slide the screen up to see the keyboard and then back down to close it the screen back was not touching the keyboard all the way so it would click everytime you type!

So I told them the issue and they sent me out the phone I have now... well I am going to return this (the 3rd) DROID because the button at the top which locks the phone is weak and the buttons at the bottom (back, menu, home, search) are purple!

I went into the Verizon store and they said just keep exchanging them, I had the manager put a note on the account stating my issue and to allow me to upgrade to a new phone like the Droid X. I am going to see what happens. I am pretty pissed, why dont they give me a good phone!!!!?

OP

7 VII 7

Reaction score
Well, I just got a call from Verizon asking about my wife's new LG Ally and how she liked that. I said she liked it but I was very unhappy with my phone. She asked why, I told her the situation and she got the tech dept supervisor on the phone. He kept saying... I can send you a like-new certified replacement phone and I got heated.

I said I am tired of you guys sending me crappy phones, I am going to send that one back, I am going to send the next one back, I am going to send the next one back. I told them I would give them MONEY if they would just give me a new phone.

Well after all that he said he would reset my upgrade date to today so I can buy a new phone at upgrade price... I figured this a win because my next upgrade date was Oct 2011. I just want a new phone that works, not a replacement piece of crap. Now which phone to get?

ddyoo

Reaction score
I had a quick question. Are you doing this through Asurion or Verizon (as in, you're going to the verizon retail store)?

I had to replace a phone a while back (not a droid) and I did it through the verizon store and I had a similar problem as you. The phone I got in place of my phone was a refurbished one that was in a worse condition than my original one.