Due for upgrade: OG Droid -> to what?

Dubie220

Reaction score
I upgraded to a X2 from the droid 1. At first I didnt like it. It felt too big, it was laggy, picture gallery took forever to load. But I got used to its size pretty quick and the new update fixed all the problems I was having with it. I was really looking into getting the bionic when it comes out .... but now have decided to keep the DX2
I really liked my droid 1. It just needed more internal memory for me. So I think the Droid 3 would be a great choice right now.
But for me now I think it would be hard to switch back to a smaller screen after using this X2.

OP
htheduck

htheduck

Reaction score
thanks dubie220 for the feedback on DX2:
-the screen is a big jump from the D1
-the sound/speaker on D1 is very good apparently

OP
htheduck

htheduck

Reaction score
Great the incredible 2 better than the X2

sent from my HTC Droid Incredible 2
Get or Great?

Please elaborate with more than 8 words...or is that the limitation of the Inc2? Thanks.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
X2 screen is a source is complaint. Display is pixelated. Blur is way behind Sense. I would wait to see what comes out in the next month or 2. Dual core, 4G and front camera are the standard now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I figured besides reading all the internet reviews, I would post and solicit educated replies from fellow Droid 1 users that will and/or have upgraded.
Not all Droid users are identical. You need to base the devices you consider on your specific needs/wants rather than on those of other people (as with any thread asking for device selection assistance).

Battery life is heavily dependent on your specific usage no matter what device you select.

Unless you select a TB of course...haha

Not true if you root. I'm at 40% and been unplugged since 5am. Its now 8 pm. Das BAMF is good.

phonetool

Reaction score
Have you tried updating your original Droid? Root, flash a custom ROM, and then overclock. It's been done so much that most of the stuff is very mature, very reliable, and there are a lot of tutorials on how to get though it.
You're actually at an advantage with an older phone- people know that Droid inside and out.

That $50 New Every Two shouldn't be burning a hole in your pocket. You don't *have* to be on a contract, once the contract is fulfilled.
I have NE2 credit that's about 3 years old.
I got a Droid from a friend for $50 and hot-rodded it, then put it on my Verizon line. It was quite an upgrade for me- first smartphone.

mikehal38

Reaction score
Not all Droid users are identical. You need to base the devices you consider on your specific needs/wants rather than on those of other people (as with any thread asking for device selection assistance).

Battery life is heavily dependent on your specific usage no matter what device you select.

Not true if you root. I'm at 40% and been unplugged since 5am. Its now 8 pm. Das BAMF is good.

Is that 4g or 3g?

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

Barkleyfan

Reaction score

Is that 4g or 3g?

My Thunderbolt? It's 4G LTE. unfortunately, we have no LTE towers in Iowa yet. Still decent phone, but not what I'd buy today. My X was superior in many ways, especially the screen. Real Gorilla Glass. Bolt, not so much. HDMI is missing here, as well as solid docks. Developers have kinda ditched the bolt now. If you find a steal on a bolt, I'd grab it, but I wouldn't get one on contract. I've seen clean bolts go as low as $150.

woahdroid

Reaction score
Great the incredible 2 better than the X2

Get or Great?

Please elaborate with more than 8 words...or is that the limitation of the Inc2? Thanks.

Sorry autcorrrect on swype. Get is what I meant to say. The screen in crystal clear and there is absolutely no lag on the device at all. It's honestly the only phone that I would think about keeping stock that's how much I like it. It is my opinion. But the open ram is by far more than any moto device. Sense is great and I don't think there has ever been a glitch in the swiping through homescreens. If 4g doesn't matter like it doesn't for me(I don't even have 4g in my area. Not even close to having it) the get the best 3g phone. It's very stable and I have had it for 2 months and I can't remember anything that I didn't like that fixed itself.

Last edited:

mikehal38

Reaction score

Is that 4g or 3g?

My Thunderbolt? It's 4G LTE. unfortunately, we have no LTE towers in Iowa yet. Still decent phone, but not what I'd buy today. My X was superior in many ways, especially the screen. Real Gorilla Glass. Bolt, not so much. HDMI is missing here, as well as solid docks. Developers have kinda ditched the bolt now. If you find a steal on a bolt, I'd grab it, but I wouldn't get one on contract. I've seen clean bolts go as low as $150.

I was asking 4g or 3g because I've heard that running the bolt in 4g you get about 4 hours of use. I've got 4g where I'm at so I'm looking for a phone that can utilize it and last a decent amount of time. I've heard the charge on 4g has good battery life.

OP
htheduck

htheduck

Reaction score
Have you tried updating your original Droid? Root, flash a custom ROM, and then overclock. It's been done so much that most of the stuff is very mature, very reliable, and there are a lot of tutorials on how to get though it.
You're actually at an advantage with an older phone- people know that Droid inside and out.

That $50 New Every Two shouldn't be burning a hole in your pocket. You don't *have* to be on a contract, once the contract is fulfilled.
I got a Droid from a friend for $50 and hot-rodded it, then put it on my Verizon line. It was quite an upgrade for me- first smartphone.

Good suggestion: I'm just not techno savy for rooting, and admittedly lazy about going through with it. Although i wouldn't mind since the warranty means nothing now- I feel it's just too much of a haggle.

New hardware makes it easy & simple. Trying to imagine (as I am leaning towards) life with the DX2 or INC2 for the next TWO years...lol

phonetool

Reaction score

Good suggestion: I'm just not techno savy for rooting, and admittedly lazy about going through with it. Although i wouldn't mind since the warranty means nothing now- I feel it's just too much of a haggle.

New hardware makes it easy & simple. Trying to imagine (as I am leaning towards) life with the DX2 or INC2 for the next TWO years...lol

Honestly, it's not so much a "tech savvy" thing now, but yah, there is a bit of work involved in setting everything up.
My boss has had his Droid from the early days and he's tired of it and ready for something new, but doesn't like what's out there yet. He's asked me about my Droid hot-rodding experiences (I'm no software guy, really) and I've promised to put together some options and references in one place for him. I'll probably work on that tonight. Sort of 'from a noob, for noobs' Droid 1 write up.