Dual gmail accounts

rkylemyers

Reaction score
Hey all. Thanks in advance for the help. I actually successfully was able to get both accounts set up but I don't like having to switch between the two. I thought I could put the gmail app on my home screen twice and set them up separately but it just changed it for both. Is there a way to set each one up along side each other so I get simultaneous emails from both? Help is much appreciated!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
R

rkylemyers

Reaction score
Bump. Anyone have a clue?

kevinkar

Reaction score
I hope I'm on the right track here but I have two gmail accounts set on my X and I receive mail to both accounts simultaneously.

I simply get notified with a ringtone whenever either account gets mail and I can view either from the notification bar just by selecting the account/message.

After, sure, I have to manually switch between accounts but not as I receive the messages.

You're probably asking something different and I'm just misunderstanding.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesnt the DX have a combined inbox in the stock messaging app?

As far as using the stock GMail app to accomplish this, it wont be possible.

OP
R

rkylemyers

Reaction score
Doesnt the DX have a combined inbox in the stock messaging app?

As far as using the stock GMail app to accomplish this, it wont be possible.

So is there something out there someone can recommend? In the messaging app when I view my accounts I see both gmail accounts setup but they are managed by the gmail application. I had a blackberry before the dx and it did what I needed here which is to manage each account separately. If I select one account I never receive emails from the other. Suggestions?

carguy

Reaction score
Hey all. Thanks in advance for the help. I actually successfully was able to get both accounts set up but I don't like having to switch between the two. I thought I could put the gmail app on my home screen twice and set them up separately but it just changed it for both. Is there a way to set each one up along side each other so I get simultaneous emails from both? Help is much appreciated!

I use multiple gmail accounts myself. I have them all sync'd to one Gmail account using labels to keep them sorted. That Gmail account is tied to my DroidX.

Problem solved? :D

conecraft

Reaction score
I have two gmail accounts (one personal.. one work..) I have the personal one on my home screen with the gmail icon (the envelope with the "M" coming out of it from the gmail app) and I have my work one on my second screen that opens with the Droid application "email" (go to 'shortcuts' then 'email').. looks the same as the gmail icon except it as a stamp with "@" on it coming out of the envelope. Both work independent of the other... both Independently alert me when an email comes to which ever account. I can open one.. or the other.. at any time. The email app was on the Droid X.. really easy to set up. Works great for me.. So they work like two separate email accounts, which is exactly how I want them to work.

OP
R

rkylemyers

Reaction score
I have two gmail accounts (one personal.. one work..) I have the personal one on my home screen with the gmail icon (the envelope with the "M" coming out of it from the gmail app) and I have my work one on my second screen that opens with the Droid application "email" (go to 'shortcuts' then 'email').. looks the same as the gmail icon except it as a stamp with "@" on it coming out of the envelope. Both work independent of the other... both Independently alert me when an email comes to which ever account. I can open one.. or the other.. at any time. The email app was on the Droid X.. really easy to set up. Works great for me.. So they work like two separate email accounts, which is exactly how I want them to work.

I can't seem to figure out how to get a Gmail account to open up in this messaging folder. I can see that the account is in fact added (under the manage accounts), but I can't compose an email with my gmail account in this utility. I added my yahoo account and I am able to do everything you are telling me with my yahoo account. I too have 2 separate gmail accounts because 1 is personal and 1 is used for work. Any tips on the setup here?

OP
R

rkylemyers

Reaction score

Oh dear lord, I just realized I kept adding a Google account, not an "Email" account. I added it as an email account and bada bing. Thanks a TON for that. That's exactly what I needed. God bless all you droid users :blackdroid::blackdroid::blackdroid:, I will definitely be here again in the future i feel!

carguy

Reaction score

Oh dear lord, I just realized I kept adding a Google account, not an "Email" account. I added it as an email account and bada bing. Thanks a TON for that. That's exactly what I needed. God bless all you droid users :blackdroid::blackdroid::blackdroid:, I will definitely be here again in the future i feel!
I hate when that happens :D
Glad you figured it out. Have you looked at linking your two gmail accounts together or are there other reasons for keeping them 100% separated?

When I began looking for a new job a few years back, I created another gmail account for those correspondence. I am able to maintain their individual characteristics while only logging into one account at Gmail. Just offering it up as a possible solution if you have not already considered it :cool:

kevinkar

Reaction score
I have two gmail accounts (one personal.. one work..) I have the personal one on my home screen with the gmail icon (the envelope with the "M" coming out of it from the gmail app) and I have my work one on my second screen that opens with the Droid application "email" (go to 'shortcuts' then 'email').. looks the same as the gmail icon except it as a stamp with "@" on it coming out of the envelope.
I set up my initial Gmail account (my primary one for the phone and a personal account) first. When I used the Gmail shortcut that got me directly into that account and only that account. I don't have any other e-mail shortcuts on any home screen.

After that, I decided to set up my home account (my wife and I use it for our home accounts like telephone, electricity, etc.) and I added that by opening Gmail (using the shortcut to Gmail) pressing Menu, Accounts, Add Account. I added the log in info for the second account and now, at the top of the app where there's a black bar displaying what folder I'm in (currently Inbox), there's a new button of sorts that shows my primary e-mail account which when pushed allows me to switch to the other account.

So I have one Gmail shortcut that works for both accounts, gets e-mail notifications for both, and sends using the account I want when I select it at the top. No separate shortcut and both are independent of each other. I don't even use the e-mail application.

That's how it works for me.

Kevin

kevinkar

Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. Have you looked at linking your two gmail accounts together or are there other reasons for keeping them 100% separated?
I think he said one was for work and the other was personal and I can see a real need to keep those separate for sure. I'd hate to be nabbed for accidentally sending a work e-mail to a non-work recipient!

OP
R

rkylemyers

Reaction score
I think he said one was for work and the other was personal and I can see a real need to keep those separate for sure. I'd hate to be nabbed for accidentally sending a work e-mail to a non-work recipient!

A perfect reason indeed. However, tho it was technically working... I wanted more defined boxes that didn't feel gerry-rigged. There is a great app that I stumbled upon this morning called "gmail unread messages". It splits my email address for me, shows a counter of any unread mages on top of the icon, and I can rename the label and change the color of each icon. All your suggestions were great. Thanks a bunch! Problem solved! (for now...)

OP
R

rkylemyers

Reaction score
Also how do I mark the thread as problem solved? Do they always stay open?