Dropping 3G signal

amberc922

Reaction score
I am new to the Droid so I don't really know what to expect. I had a BB tour and it was so slow. I like my Droid 2 but this morning I picked it up didn't touch anything and it just restrarted itself. Then it keeps dropping the 3G connection and wont allow me to use FB and data use. Then all of the sudden it comes back. When using my BB I never had the 3G symbol on my phone and always used FB and other data source apps. Is there a way to fix that or is that the service providers issue not my phone. Nothing is worse than getting the best smartphone out there because you've heard so many good things about it and then it starts acting up after owning it for less than 24hours. :unsure:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum!

Okay, I'm going to go right out and suggest you do a hardware reset. You haven't had your phone long so setting it back up won't be that big of a problem. The occasional 3G drop is not uncommon -- 3G runs at a higher frequency than the 850MHz CDMA signal the voice is carried on, so it can't always penetrate/travel the same distances and through the same materials. However, if you're having a lot of problems a reset might work. If not, and you've had the phone less than 30 days (ha ha!), take the phone back to the store and demand a replacement device and see if that fixes the issue. If not, you might want to try a different model.

OP
A

amberc922

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. I went to Verizon when I got off work and found out I didn't need the task killer because he said it doesn't really work and the apps will eventually stop running on their own. He also told me the problem I was having with my phone was because I installed an anti virus which he informed me was a virus itself. I took that all off last night and haven't had a problem since. Thank you for you help though.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Task killer and antivirus programs are the bane of the Android world, and Verizon techs and reps have been putting them on since day 1 for some reason. If you put them on, well, now you know better. :) If whoever sold you the phone put it on for you, feel free to swear at them when you get a minute (just not on here). Nobody will blame you. ;)

OP
A

amberc922

Reaction score
That is funny. No the salesman didn't put it on stupid me did. All I ever heard though was that apps are always running in the backround until you kill them and you have to use one of those apps to do that. So now I know thats not true. I guess you learn from your mistakes.

portermac

Reaction score
That's the first time I heard a verizon rep saying task killers and anti virus apps are no good. Its about time. That guy must hang on the droid forum.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
OP
A

amberc922

Reaction score
Thanks for the link I will look at that. I was wondering if either of you could aswer my post about my moms phone the incredible?

OP
A

amberc922

Reaction score
Thanks it's under the tech for incredible and it is SD card transfering

chrstdvd

Reaction score
That's the first time I heard a verizon rep saying task killers and anti virus apps are no good. Its about time. That guy must hang on the droid forum.
I was thinking something similar. ;)

Amber (I'm guessing that's your name), if you want to know why task killers are a bad idea (antivirus programs on a Linux platform are pointless), just read this link. :)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Well, I want to thank you for the links above. The OP being an X BB user as I am, learned to KILL all apps that were not in use at the current time. So, we come to the android platform "trained" to kill apps and keep memory clear.

I have Advanced Task Killer, Startup Cleaner Pro, and Memory Usage Plus installed on my D2 and until now thought it was cool to have 300MB free memory. Well shucks, I wasted my money?

After reading the above and watching the Videos, I am ready to Flash back to Stock and start over with my deletions/uninstalls.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
No need to flash back to stock -- just stop using the extra stuff and reboot once in a while. ;)

To late. I un-rooted yesterday shortly after I posted. I can not see much difference in memory usage now. I really have no reason to root as I do not want a new theme or a different ROM at the moment.

I think I will just learn how to use this thing the way it came before I root again. Thanks.