Dropbox now in market!!!!!

dennisa31

Reaction score
Its freaking amazing. If you don't already have an account, use this referral code to set one up and you get extra storage (2.25GB vs 2GB).

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY3MzAzNzM5

I used that link, but appears I still only got 2gb.

Same here.

Edit: You get the additional .25 GB once you install the desktop application.

ok cool i was worried there for a sec. it says on my referral list that u guys are all successfully completed

dennisa31

Reaction score
The app is kind of disappointing actually. All that waiting and it's really not any better than the Droidbox app already in the Market. It doesn't actually do file sync'ing, it's more of a shortcut way to upload/download to your dropbox. I want an app that behaves like the desktop version and keeps the copy on the phone in sync with what's online (and vice versa), perhaps with the ability to choose which folders should be synchronized. As far as I can tell, the only advantage it has over Droidbox is that it tells you how long ago a file was modified.
who knows when that will be though it would be sweet...
"
Why don't files sync automatically to my mobile device?

Dropbox applications for your mobile device sync on demand. You get to choose which files to download to your mobile device.
Dropbox for iPhone, iPad, and Android are prevented from running continuously in the background because of hardware and software restrictions. For example, the operating system prevents background processes or the mobile device's limited battery and memory prevent all files in your Dropbox from syncing when you're not using the phone. In addition, 3G and EDGE can unexpectedly lose connection with the internet, often interfering with the Dropbox syncing process. "

rcfx

Reaction score
This is a cool app, can't get it to upload more than one picture at a time, not a big deal though. I don't see where I got another 250 megs either but maybe there is a limit as to how many referrals are given. I like it though! Works good for word docs! Thanks for the heads up!

edit: guess I wasn't patient enuf, the 250 megs are there!

Last edited:
OP
OutGolfn

OutGolfn

Reaction score
Looks like at this time it is only online syncing. I have used other platforms that have the "star favorite" which enables local storage. Hopefully we'll see that soon.

dennisa31

Reaction score
The files are on your computer.
from the website.
Does Dropbox keep backups of my files?

Backing up your files is what Dropbox is all about.
In fact, if you're using the Dropbox desktop application, your files are backed up several times. The primary copy on your computer's hard drive is synced online and that copy is then backed up again for safety. If you are using Dropbox to sync files between multiple computers, your files are backed up on those computers as well. If that isn't enough, Dropbox also keeps backups of all of your deleted and changed files too.

bryant_16

Reaction score
So there is no way of downloading the file into our local storage at the moment?

OP
OutGolfn

OutGolfn

Reaction score
So there is no way of downloading the file into our local storage at the moment?

Actually they are saved on the SD card after you have viewed the file once. You can use Astro file manager to see the drop box local folder on your SD card.

Last edited:
OP
OutGolfn

OutGolfn

Reaction score
How about viewing the file using our droid?

Once you sync the files via the desktop software just click on the files within the dropbox app and they will load within the app.

techdude49

Reaction score
I've been using it for a couple of weeks. Decent app and worth checking out.

bryant_16

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have tried some files already. I can open a .docx file directly from the DropBox application but when I use Astro to nagivate to open the file under the dropbox folder. I'm unable to do so. Anyone tried and it works?

rcfx

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have tried some files already. I can open a .docx file directly from the DropBox application but when I use Astro to nagivate to open the file under the dropbox folder. I'm unable to do so. Anyone tried and it works?

I can read a file from the dropbox folder just fine, just did it on a .doc file and a text file.

Bufhimat

Reaction score
Been waiting for this. Didn't know about Droidbox, but all I need is a way to quickly access my saved PDFs. This is perfect.