Official Dropbox has dropped

astronaut

Reaction score
OUTSTANDING!!! I've been waiting for this!

I use Keepass to store all my passwords and the PC version of Dropbox to keep them synched on my computers. I just tried this app and it worked perfectly! The android version of Keepass was able to open the database from my dropbox folder with no trouble at all. Awesome!! dancedroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
My only concern with this application is that they say the files are also synced on their website (web server).

Well, what if their server gets compromised? Said attack is than able to access a large numbers of files from people's personal computers (even if it is just downloading them).

Is there an option so that it doesn't sync with the website?

Just a thought.

Dropbox implements their own security methods on top of Amazon's already secure storage. Dropbox doesn't host your files they lease space on Amazon's S3 network. Put it this way.... the files synced to their servers have a lot smaller chance of being compromised than the ones on your Droid.

OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
My only concern with this application is that they say the files are also synced on their website (web server).

Well, what if their server gets compromised? Said attack is than able to access a large numbers of files from people's personal computers (even if it is just downloading them).

Is there an option so that it doesn't sync with the website?

Just a thought.

Dropbox implements their own security methods on top of Amazon's already secure storage. Dropbox doesn't host your files they lease space on Amazon's S3 network. Put it this way.... the files synced to their servers have a lot smaller chance of being compromised than the ones on your Droid.

True...get this from Dropbox:

Your files are actually safer while stored in your Dropbox than on your computer in some cases. We use the same secure methods as banks and the military to send and store your data.
Dropbox takes the security of your files and of our software very seriously. We use the best tools and engineering practices available to build our software, and we have smart people making sure that Dropbox remains secure. Your files are backed-up, stored securely, and password-protected.
Nobody can see your private files in Dropbox unless you deliberately invite them or put them in your Public folder. Everything in your Public folder is, by definition, accessible to anyone. Otherwise, the only way to access the files in your Dropbox online is with your username and password.
For Our Advanced Users
Dropbox uses modern encryption methods to both transfer and store your data.

• Shared folders are viewable only by people you invite
  • All transmission of file data and metadata occurs over an encrypted channel (SSL).
  • All files stored on Dropbox servers are encrypted (AES-256) and are inaccessible without your account password
  • Dropbox website and client software have been hardened against attacks from hackers
  • Online access to your files require your username and password
  • Public files are only viewable by people who have a link to the file(s). Public folders are not browsable or searchable
  • Dropbox employees aren't able to access user files, and when troubleshooting an account they only have access to file metadata (filenames, file sizes, etc., not the file contents)
Dropbox uses Amazon's Simple Storage Service (S3) for storage, which has a robust security policy of its own. You can find more information on Amazon's data security from the S3 site or, read more about how Dropbox and Amazon securely stores data.

REMilk

Reaction score
I am a long-time user of DropBox and was one of the lucky ones who participated in beta testing of the app.

So if you are a long-time user of DropBox there is no way to get the extra 250 megs of space?

Oh, well! I guess life is tough!

Cortez

Reaction score
no support for Droid Comic Viewer :-( sad day, or most videos on my comp, but I am guessing with updates it will support more? Yes?

Thanks for the link RT!!! Love DF as well!! So much help and information for me to avoid actually working

OP
RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
I am a long-time user of DropBox and was one of the lucky ones who participated in beta testing of the app.

So if you are a long-time user of DropBox there is no way to get the extra 250 megs of space?

Oh, well! I guess life is tough!

Sure, invite your friends!
Each one signing up with your refereal gets 250MB and YOU get 250MB!

stix_clgi

Reaction score
The link doesn't seem to be working for me, can anyone help please!

Thanks

etx_droid

Reaction score
Thanks for this find! I'll be installing this on my parents computer so they'll be able to get pictures of my Daughter on the fly!!

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Ok, so a question to those that are using this already. Is there no way to upload from the phone to Dropbox in bulk? It seems like you can only do one file at a time.

etx_droid

Reaction score
Ok, so a question to those that are using this already. Is there no way to upload from the phone to Dropbox in bulk? It seems like you can only do one file at a time.

You can from the actual computer version no problem, I just dumped a folder full of pdfs in My Dropbox with ease...haven't tried anything like that with the Android version...

etx_droid

Reaction score

You can from the actual computer version no problem, I just dumped a folder full of pdfs in My Dropbox with ease...haven't tried anything like that with the Android version...

But I do see what you mean now that I'm trying it...hmmm

brochaos

Reaction score
any way to avoid the "no application can perform this action" instead of using another file manager? i currently have astro and root explorer...

loop4zil

Reaction score
Awesome...just playing around with this app and it is pretty sweet! 2GB is pretty generous the additional 250MB is a nice cherry on top