Drop my droid in water, what do i do????

sierradeanne

Reaction score
yesterday while was cooking, so i sat my phone on the counter, later i found it was wet, so i tried to turn it on but didnt work so i put it in rice til this morning. when i tried to turn it on it didnt. what should i do?? how long should i wait for the rice treatment? i tried it 12 hours after i post this

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You messed up. You should have put it in rice for atleast 24 hours before trying to turn it on. Leave it in the rice for another day or so then try it. If not, you're gonna have to get another phone

Boot Manager

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
rice? really.. never heard of this method.... me personally right after it happened I would've yanked the battery and throw it in the oven or use a blow dryer.. but that's just me.. im no pro on wet phones lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JRParsons

Reaction score
There's a lot of threads on this, but the rice idea is the most widely accepted, do not use your oven, and resist the urge to turn it on. The method i have had the most success with is to take out your battery, open your slider (if applicable) and place the phone on top of your Cable box for a day or two. There should be just enough warm air flowing through it to dry it out.
Unfortunately when you attempted to turn it on you may have shorted something. Since it was just water and not coffee or something worse, in theory drying it out should allow it to become operable again.
If you try the rice or cable box for a couple of days and it still doesn't work, you may need to make an insurance claim if you're covered, otherwise you may need to purchase a new/used phone.
If you go used, please search these forums for advice before you give anybody any money, as there are many scams out there.

doogald

Reaction score
I save those silica packets that you get when you buy stuff just for this purpose.

There are many schools of thought on drying a wet phone. Some say that you should immediately soak in high concentrated alcohol, to get all of the water out of the phone. I've never done that myself.

I have tried the rice trick on a few different devices, keeping them in a ziploc bag with rice (or those packets, or both) for a couple of days, and they both worked for a little while but then started failing after a few weeks. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
My mom dropped her phone in the toilet (clean) and used the rice method. It is working great 6 months later.

Boot Manager

Reaction score
There are many schools of thought on drying a wet phone. Some say that you should immediately soak in high concentrated alcohol, to get all of the water out of the phone. I've never done that myself.
I have a little vat of mineral oil for this reason actually. It does work... but chances are since there was current running in the phone while it was wet, you most likely shorted it out. Insurance claim will be your best friend if you don't feel like paying another 600$ for the phone.

Graymayre

Reaction score
The alcohol idea is interesting, but you might run the risk of soaking more components than already were to begin with. Alcohol would mix with water and rapidly evaporate leaving minimal residue from the impurities in the water. I wouldn't do it though.
Never heard of using mineral oil, how would that work?

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

BUckeyemike84

Reaction score
Stick it in a bag of rice for 24 hours. Should be good after that.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

BUckeyemike84

Reaction score
Also make sure the back is off and battery is out. Put all of it in the bag of rice.

Paidnfull

Reaction score
This BuckeyeMike84 character sounds as if he speaks from experience. Whattup Mike!

BUckeyemike84

Reaction score
Yup, it happened to me before. That was what I did and it worked pretty well.

Paidnfull

Reaction score
I know. Mike its your boy. You on here perusing for info on the G Next?

Reaction score
Never heard of using mineral oil, how would that work?

Doesn't conduct electricity, so it can't short out anything... the idea is to dilute the water to a very minimal level, in a big enough vat, virtually 0%. Then when you let it dry out for handling you're good to go. I wouldn't do it unless I had no other options though. I would never do the rice thing since... well... it doesn't work.

[video=youtube;tUBvWXH1hLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUBvWXH1hLs[/video]
this is a company that makes mineral oil computer cases... and a demo of it not destroying running electronics.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
My mom dropped her phone in the toilet (clean) and used the rice method. It is working great 6 months later.

Boot Manager

lol @ (clean)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums