DroidForums.net & Ultimate Droid ROMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxs783kms

Reaction score
I don't understand this wjole Setcpu thing. Koush included it in one of his roms because he mentioned in one of his change logs that he removed it because the developer didn't want it included in any custom roms, even though it's free on that other site. So this had me confused.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Its free to XDA members, but not free to redistribute.

Make sense?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I would think there is some lessons to be learned by those who run this site.

It took what amounted to less than a dozen people to basically bring this place to its knees. Ultimately, these very few people got EXACTLY what they were looking at getting.

Basically, the message being sent is: If you want to change something here, go get your band of thug computer geeks, a proxy server, and in a few hours it's game over.

These supposed development leaders acted like a bunch of punk highschool kids.

Pitty.

KOS

By the way, the Android development community is a lot larger than this forum. This sent shock waves throughout it. While you may have seen 12 or so vocal individuals, it was spreading like wildfire across the internet, and making serious waves. Even devs for apps most rooters here use, such as SetCPU showed their support for cyanogen and their disapproval for UD and how it was (not) being handled.

I wonder if you would have felt it was no big deal what BD did if the dev for SetCPU suddenly decided to remove Droid support because of all of this?

This was not a small matter, by any means. Whether it was right to close BD's forum or not, I don't know. I know if I was in BD's shoes, I would have take a piece of humble pie, given credit where due, and moved on.

Richard Stallman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is where credit is due. I am a fan of open source. By the wiki even Linux had to take some humble pie.

Yeah, I know, Linux is just the kernel, the rest is GNU, and the correct naming terminology is GNU/Linux OS.

I'm in complete agreement about that, by the way.

kxs783kms

Reaction score
It takes seconds to become a free member, so to me that me, that's free to everybody. Still though, Koushed used it in his rom asBD did, so why the indifference towards BD?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Which ROM version had SetCPU in it?

Reaction score
By the way, the Android development community is a lot larger than this forum. This sent shock waves throughout it. While you may have seen 12 or so vocal individuals, it was spreading like wildfire across the internet, and making serious waves. Even devs for apps most rooters here use, such as SetCPU showed their support for cyanogen and their disapproval for UD and how it was (not) being handled.

I wonder if you would have felt it was no big deal what BD did if the dev for SetCPU suddenly decided to remove Droid support because of all of this?

This was not a small matter, by any means. Whether it was right to close BD's forum or not, I don't know. I know if I was in BD's shoes, I would have take a piece of humble pie, given credit where due, and moved on.

This is where credit is due. I am a fan of open source. By the wiki even Linux had to take some humble pie.

Yeah, I know, Linux is just the kernel, the rest is GNU, and the correct naming terminology is GNU/Linux OS.

I didnt see the credit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

I didnt see the credit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

So because they didn't give credit, then its ok everywhere else?

kingofsting

Reaction score

Shockwaves throughout the entire Android Dev Community... That is a bit of an exaggeration. The lions share of the Android Dev Community don't give a rip about UD and very likely CyanogenMOD.

There is defiantly lessons to be learned all around the table.

When it comes right down to it, what happened here was VERY minor.

I've seen commercial entities brand GPL code and shamelessly pass it off as proprietary solutions. Even in these situations, I've never seen a blowup like happened here.

Like I said, these android devs are like a bunch of kids. I've never seen anything like it.

KOS

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You can think of it as an exaggeration if you like...

OP
T

TheMarkness

Shockwaves throughout the entire Android Dev Community... That is a bit of an exaggeration. The lions share of the Android Dev Community don't give a rip about UD and very likely CyanogenMOD.

There is defiantly lessons to be learned all around the table.

When it comes right down to it, what happened here was VERY minor.

I've seen commercial entities brand GPL code and shamelessly pass it off as proprietary solutions. Even in these situations, I've never seen a blowup like happened here.

Like I said, these android devs are like a bunch of kids. I've never seen anything like it.

KOS

Yeah your right it's minor. If I ever decided to compile and release a rom I'm okay with somebody taking, claiming it, and asking for donations for all "their" hard work and time. I'll continue to update it in the hopes they will steal those as well and release it as their "updates" :icon_eek:.

Those commericial entities probably are smarter than stealing compiled code too. They probably took open source code, changed it up some and compiled there own solution from it.

nphil

Reaction score
Yeah well commercial entities are entirely different from homebrew communities. Quit beating that example to death, it doesn't apply here. The "shockwaves" part wasn't exaggerated, it was a pretty major incident. Maybe you should have checked out some of the major developer's twitter accounts at the time.

You keep complaining like a child about Android dev's being childish. Ironic isn't it?

Also goldenshell, quit linking wikipedia posts, it's getting old.

kingofsting

Reaction score
30,000+ apps in the market, created by somewhere north of 9,500 devs. Throw in say 1,000 devs associated with android itself. Right there we are talking about over 10,000 devs.

I'd lay odds that less than 5% even knew about any of this.

OP
T

TheMarkness

Hey maybe I'll get ahold of a new chevy camaro, debadge it, have my shop guy put a nice body kit on it and call it "kalton". Sure I might get a following long as I keep those refreshs of my "kalton" every year lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.