Droid X won't load past motorola logo...STOCK

rjcormier

Reaction score
Man, that would be great...but I'm definitely out of warranty...I checked :(

rjcormier

Reaction score
OK...the buttons have to be mapped incorrectly becsuse only God knows what combination I used to see the beautiful triangle and DROID...however, I got to recovery...wiped data factory restore, didn't want to tell it to reboot but I did cuz thats all I knew to do, and bam...stuck at logo again!

I flashed this last time in linux the. 604...I am gonna do the .612 again and play button pusher again to try ...any ideas? This phone definitely has sat long enough to see the DROID eye at least...

rjcormier

Reaction score
OMG!!! I have a booted up DROID x ...in safe mode..?!

This is the thing...the combo I did to get to recovery was home and power BUT!!! IT STAYS AT THE LOGO...so I started pushing buttons

Menu, camera and volume down got me to system recovery.

BUT!! then I wiped and it still stalled....so I started after about 5 minutes of the logo, I pushed the same combo and nothing changed...then I pushed the same combo but instead of camera I pushed search...placebo? Maybe but I got the DROID eye baby!! When it booted to activation I ran to an outlet to keep the battery alive and swapped my number to it.

Then when it when to the launcher it says safe mode....but it works...all my accounts, activated, wifi and all.

So, my question ...if anyone is reading...is do I restart and pray it start without safe mode? Or leave well enough alone...

Will it play games and work as a wifi tablet for me or does safe mode restrict the usage?

Hope my drama helps someone not give up! Haha

leftspin

Reaction score
kinda sounds like the phone has liquid damage to me, did you check the indicator strip?

rjcormier

Reaction score
I did and there isn't any red...its still perfect...I rebooted and still hangs at logo screen until I press a series of buttons and then it boots up into safe mode

leftspin

Reaction score
Yeah I know there's a button combo for safe mode, I had to boot it once. I don't remember what it was but it might be worth looking up to see if it's also a random combo booting that and not the normal one, like you said it was doing with the recovery.

This is a really strange issue and you have far more patience than I to have stuck with it this long haha. I dunno what other advice to give but do post back here with any updates, this is interesting.

rjcormier

Reaction score
Its definitely not the normal one cuz I tried it...I'm still hoping for it because I bought it to fix it ...I'm weird I know...I only paid 20 for it but that's a cheap toy...lol

You know of a way to bypass the activation screen? I reset it hoping to clear it again and definitely don't want the hassle of putting it on my 4g line and swapping again...that was 30 mins n verizon...no fun

I'm gonna try and flash the Linux fix again now that I figured out how to boot it and try and get root...maybe there is a work around and I can flash a rom by some miracle :)

leftspin

Reaction score
To bypass the activation just tap all four corners going clockwise starting with the top left. Hope you can get it working the way you want it, keep updating me here

rjcormier

Reaction score
Thanks, did it and bam...I was able to run the .
.604 and then root successfully ...I'm impatiently waiting for it to boot...I will probably have to do the button combo again but...if I have root it hopefully can all me to push some files and cwm ..?? U think? I'm not fluent in adb but I can manage. Is there a way around safe mode? No one seems to have gotten around it except with the normal reboot...mine seems to only boot if I boot with the combo.

It is mad crazy that my phone just sits till I do the combo...OK it booted into safe mode..and super user is there..!! So if safe mode won't allow me to install apps then do u know a way to flash a rom to Beat this?

leftspin

Reaction score
Thanks, did it and bam...I was able to run the .
.604 and then root successfully ...I'm impatiently waiting for it to boot...I will probably have to do the button combo again but...if I have root it hopefully can all me to push some files and cwm ..?? U think? I'm not fluent in adb but I can manage. Is there a way around safe mode? No one seems to have gotten around it except with the normal reboot...mine seems to only boot if I boot with the combo.

It is mad crazy that my phone just sits till I do the combo...OK it booted into safe mode..and super user is there..!! So if safe mode won't allow me to install apps then do u know a way to flash a rom to Beat this?

I'm not sure if the files for CWM can be pushed via ADB although I don't really see why they couldn't. The only way you can flash a ROM is with CWM but once you do get a ROM flashed you'll have a whole new problem on your hands: Is it going to boot a custom ROM with no safe mode?

rjcormier

Reaction score
True, adb says I'm rooted but I can't push bootstrap recovery into system/apps...says denied...read only..so I'm still planning to take for diagnostic checks...doesn't make any sense why the buttons are so different unless there is water or something wrong inside. I let it sit at logo screen for over 30 mins with a full battery just to see if it would boot normal...nothing, so I pushed the buttons and it automatically jumps right into the boot animation and loads in safe mode perfectly. Only the menu button doesn't work in safe mode. Weird

rjcormier

Reaction score
http://db.tt/KVSKEU8W

ok, hopefully someone can look at this logcat and help me...I cannot boot at all past the logo screen unless i do a button combo for the phone to go to safemode. it doesnt go to safemode with the normal process. I have tried to get into the sys via adb however even though im rooted, safemode wont allow permission to copy bootstrap recovery to system/app/.

I would love some help from someone who wont question whether or not I know how to use rsd and all the other noob questions...I am fully aware of how to use rsd and i am positive that my phone is a droid x and yes i am able to use linux. I have been getting questions like that...

I sbfed to the .621 and then used the linux disk to go to milestone and get root. My phone asked for root permission while i was in adb and i allowed it however im assuming that safemode wont allow it to truly work...

if it could be hardware...where would i begin troubleshooting the hardware??

Thanks in advance for your help
smile.gif
My main concern is not getting bootstrap onto the phone, it is to get the phone to boot out of safemode. I have let the phone go from 100% to 0% waiting on it to reboot so I am sure that it is not me being impatient. I got it to boot into safemode by accident because I was actually trying to get it to boot into sys recovery to wipe after a sbf but the phone doesn't go to recovery normally either. I have to push and hold menu, camera, and volume down to get the triangle and then i can push the vol buttons together to get the recovery screen and wipe. however it never boots...unless i push the menu, search, and vol down buttons to get it to boot into safemode which...like i said, was discovered by accident. I have been keeping notes because this phone is def not normal.
smile.gif

On a side note, the phone is not activated because of these issues,.i am using my droid 4.

leftspin

Reaction score
Safemode shouldn't prevent you from pushing files to the device via ADB, it should just prevent any third party apps from running. Unfortunately this also makes what I was going to suggest impossible- install development.apk and make sure that the setting to grant SU permissions to both apps and ADB was checked off. I took a look at your aLogcat entries and didn't see anything unusual there, but that's not surprising since aLogcat wouldn't have started until the phone was fully booted into safemode anyway. This is by far the strangest issue I've seen with a Droid X.

I believe it's a hardware issue since it wasn't fixed by an SBF because that's essentially a complete wipe of the device, which would clear any messed up pieces of software. As far as where you'd begin troubleshooting the hardware though, I don't know.

rjcormier

Reaction score
OK, well that's where I will turn then...I will start with the hardware...I have a local place that says they do free diagnostics on phones. I will update when I get word from them.

Btw...what is the development.apk u spoke of...haven't seen that before...

If safe mode doesn't keep me from pushing to the system then why when I go to adb shell does it say adb device not found. And when I don't go into shell it says permission denied even though I allowed it through super user. I went into shell to check that it had root...it says $ so i typed su and then got a # . Then the device it saw before is mia...I'm not real fluent in the commands but I follow directions if u ever think of something.

Thanks so much for your time!,

leftspin

Reaction score
Development.apk is just an app with some tools that are useful for devs, one of them is changing what you'll allow SU for. I'm not really familiar with safemode in combination with ADB so I can't help you there, ADB has always worked flawlessly for me on both of my devices. It could be a driver issue, make sure you have the latest drivers for your phone installed on your computer, because that could easily be the reason ADB isn't recognizing it properly.

Definitely let us know what the phone diagnostic people say