Droid X wont boot. Battery Question mark logo

necric

Reaction score
I was flashing 2.1 and the boot loader said low battery, so we hooked up usb wires to the pins so it would think it had a full battery.

The flash passed and booted, after restarting the phone I can only get to a screen where it shoes a battery icon with a big "?"

I've googled and tried removing the sd card and battery to no luck.

I can get it to boot if I unplug evertything and put all the parts back in, but it says invalid battery and wont charge.

I went to verizon and they tried a new battery and it didnt work either.

Any suggestions?

OP
necric

necric

Reaction score
If I tape usb wires to the corresponding + and - points on the battery, it gets a charge and I can boot into the phone fine. But, it wont charge and says there is an invalid battery

maderschramm

Reaction score
if you can get to clockworkmod there's a battery reset option thing - I don't know much about it and have never used it but it's worth a shot.

OP
necric

necric

Reaction score
if you can get to clockworkmod there's a battery reset option thing - I don't know much about it and have never used it but it's worth a shot.

Alright, I'll try and figure out how to install clockwork like this and try it. Thanks

andylulzyou

Reaction score
I had this problem when I got my first droid and the battery pull off sticker came off, of course I wasn't rooted then so I was able to get a replacement.. but it could be because of that, or one of your prongs could be bent.. you could try to buy another battery and see if that works also

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've seen this issue where this causes the battery to be read invalid because direct charging gives out more voltage than it can handle and messes up the battery. Best bet is get a new one.

J

Johnly

I like this, and often battery stats need to be reset. No biggie.

J

Johnly

I've seen this issue where this causes the battery to be read invalid because direct charging gives out more voltage than it can handle and messes up the battery. Best bet is get a new one.
I am curious? You seem like you know what you are saying and are very helpful. What is the Voltage you speak of? AC/DC, if I have my batt pulled, can I still have a good charge? OK, so I bet you are speaking of the pins being superseded by the port? What on the device regulates the voltage in between said hardware? Thanks a million.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you splice the USB and go direct charge its like 20+v and the battery is used to only about15v. Don't hold me to that. I'm sure my explanation is off but that's the gist of the issue, the battery got overcharged and the phone wont read it.

J

Johnly

If you splice the USB and go direct charge its like 20+v and the battery is used to only about15v. Don't hold me to that. I'm sure my explanation is off but that's the gist of the issue, the battery got overcharged and the phone wont read it.
I won't hold you to nothing, but something tells me the voltage reg is after said terminals, making a splice from the USB irrelevant. I am just theorizing here. most liIon battery's can't get over/under charged, so I think that may not be the issue. I have had to wipe batt stats myself to get my device back on track a couple times. Interesting.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya batt stats is completely different. Its the fact that if you splice the cable there's no voltage regulation and it screws with the battery /phone.

J

Johnly

Ya batt stats is completely different. Its the fact that if you splice the cable there's no voltage regulation and it screws with the battery /phone.
That is just it, moto ain't stupid are they? Put a voltage reg before the battery? Primary source of power? idk, I think it is just stats or something simple. If I don't spice the cable, then where is the V reg?