Droid X Not Ringing... help.

sammyj6

Reaction score
I just got the Droid X.
I installed a handful of free apps and chose a factory ringtone.
The phone was working fine for a while, but suddenly has just stopped ringing.

I have turned the system volume to loudest setting.
I have used the side toggle bars as well.
Silent mode is "OFF".
Sound is "ON" on the menu before shut down.
I have turned it off, re-selected ringtones and reset.

Please help. I am missing very important phone calls.
My phone vibrates only.

Also, ALL of my other audible notifications work fine.
Email, text, etc... all ring with the factory setting I chose.

homerfromhawley

Reaction score
Option to resetting

I'm not registering to a bunch of forums.

I also have a Droid X and I too have the ringing problem.
I do not want to reset the unit. I have ~100 apps and customized icons/widgets.

So what I did, while waiting for a fix, is go into settings-Call settings and set the "Caller ID Readout" to Caller ID Repeat. So it keeps speaking the Caller ID. It's better than just vibrating and will hold me over until a fix arrives.

50calal

Reaction score
My DX did that once. I just power-cycled it (turned it off then back on) and all is good now.

unknowndroid

Reaction score
I'm not registering to a bunch of forums.

I also have a Droid X and I too have the ringing problem.
I do not want to reset the unit. I have ~100 apps and customized icons/widgets.

So what I did, while waiting for a fix, is go into settings-Call settings and set the "Caller ID Readout" to Caller ID Repeat. So it keeps speaking the Caller ID. It's better than just vibrating and will hold me over until a fix arrives.

Matt from Motorola has posted a possible fix for this issue. It doesn't work for everyone, but it does work for some. Other have also posted things that worked for them.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/32547?start=60&tstart=0

You don't have to register for the forum to read the information.

hmedme

Reaction score
I was experiencing this issue and was going completely and totally insane over it.

I was able to fix without a reset.

I called my X from another phone- did NOT answer. Had the X face down with both Smart Sensor settings ENABLED. I QUICKLY turned the phone over so it was face up. I felt a pause in the vibration, a very short vibration, and then the vibration continued. I did this twice as I did not think the first time had made a difference. The third time I called the phone, with it FACE UP – it freekin’ RANG!

So, the only thing I did differently was turn the phone over quickly – very quickly.

Hope this helps someone that is pulling their hair out…

dcomo

Reaction score
Same happened with me... I never enabled this setting originally and my phone hasn't rang in weeks... (Vibs only!)

However, I enabled the face down setting and then flipped the phone up a few times and it started to ring...

Fun!

LadyPhoenix

Reaction score
the replies in the other threads are right as i also had this problem.
Had to get a new phn & factory reset once since.​

i noitce also when turning off or on the phone to hold the
power button down long enough (ie not a quick tap)and that
has restored my ringing.​

Also for the person w over 100 apps, install 'App Brain'
this will let u restore yr apps from yr computer
or at least, print out a copy​

Last edited:

tkone14

Reaction score
fixed the 'not ringing' problem

with help from thread addressing the 'droid will not ring, only vibrates'; if you go to settings, go to sounds, uncheck the setting for the first smart answer (the one for the double tap to silence the incoming call) and CHECK the flip over just beneath the first one. Then take out and reinstall your battery. Power up. Keep your phone face up in your hand. Call yourself. When the incoming call begins to vibrate, flip it face down then flip it back face up. You should feel a little vibrating jolt (If you do not feel it, flip it over again and then face up while the call continues to ring in). Then hang up and call yourself again and it should ring, then go back to settings and UNCHECK the flip over silence option. Call yourself agian to verify

ga3808

Reaction score
Today my dx lost it's ringing on incoming calls, all other alarms and notices functioned without fail. I tried all or what I thouhgt all imaginable on off buttons I could think of. Got home and logged into the forum. The last message by tkone14 solved my problem, the very first time. Thank you , thank you tkone14 and to the forum for saving what I thought was the beginning of a horrible day!