Droid X Battery Life

accellpo

Reaction score
A little off topic, but how much free RAM are you guys seeing with the DX? Mine arrives Friday and I'm expecting it to be double the D1 RAM which never gets over 75mb free.

deranger

Reaction score
A little off topic, but how much free RAM are you guys seeing with the DX? Mine arrives Friday and I'm expecting it to be double the D1 RAM which never gets over 75mb free.

Free RAM is wasted RAM. If an application needs more memory than is available, a rarely used cached app will be unloaded to make room. I only see ~75MB free any any given time, which is 17% according to SystemPanel.

accellpo

Reaction score
I know my Droid starts having problems when the RAM hits 35mb or lower. I get a blank home screen and lag. Then I use Advanced Task Manager to end things i'm not using and all is fine. Dont want this to turn into a debate on task managers because I believe if you know how to use it, its a great tool. Just wanted to know how much free RAM is on the DX.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some things to consider:

1) DON'T listen to the guy at VZ and your cousin about how you need to kill tasks
2) DON'T use the stock email client. Use the Gmail app, K9, or touchdown
3) Download other browsers, like Dolphin HD and xscope, and set user agent to Desktop/Computer
4) Watch out for the GPS icon in the notification bar at the top. It really uses battery power. When you are done with Navigation, choose Exit from the menu. When done with maps, press your phone's Home button to tell it to stop using GPS
5) When installing apps, watch what privileges you are granting! Why is your wallpaper asking to access your contacts? Also watch for stuff that runs on startup, including widgets, which can take a toll on battery charge.
6) Try to find your answer using the droidforums.net search engine

Caden

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got my Droid X yesterday and it seems that it has really low battery life. It was charged to 100% last night and after using it for around 10minutes I put it down and went to sleep. I woke up this morning and the battery is already at 70%. Do you know why the battery goes down so fast? Any methods to fix it?

What is a good app to keep track of battery life etc.?

Thank you!
Yeah, same issue here. But I think that if you just let it totally decharge a couple times, the battery life gets better. Of course, this could only be psychosomatic on my part! ;)

Reaction score
Remove the facebook widget! I was only getting a half day out of a battery. I removed the widget last night and today my battery is still over 50% from 7am this morning. Heavy heavy use.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Caden

Reaction score
Remove the facebook widget! I was only getting a half day out of a battery. I removed the widget last night and today my battery is still over 50% from 7am this morning. Heavy heavy use.

Are you talking about the one that I downloaded from Facebook (the app) or the widget, itself, because I'm not using the widget - I don't think.....

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
With regards to charging your Droid X or any lithium ion battery, doing it correctly is important.

These two links should be helpful and are based on facts versus conjecture, miss-information, and subjective input.

Charging lithium-ion batteries

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Live long and prosper your battery that is....you too.:icon_ banana:

^ like I said, you do not need to cycle these batterys, just plug the phone in and leave it be lol dancedroid

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Until you get the 2.2 update, droid X users should work around the droid x battery drain bug:

Phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > UNCHECK

If that doesn't seem to work for you:
-turn of GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.

Last edited:

Caden

Reaction score
Until you get the 2.2 update, droid X users should work around the droid x battery drain bug:

Phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > UNCHECK
Have any idea when we might see the 2.2 update?

BigRalphN

Reaction score
Some of this is interesting. Mine came fully charged and battery life has been at least double that of my D1 with heavy usage and performance mode.

Of course my D1 was overclocked to the max.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some of this is interesting. Mine came fully charged and battery life has been at least double that of my D1 with heavy usage and performance mode.

Of course my D1 was overclocked to the max.

There's more than one way to work around the "no sleep" battery drain bug. I've listed the root cause/solution. Before that solution was figured out, the procedure was to turn off GPS when done using it, turn off WIFI when done using it, and reboot the phone after charging.

Normally, you can leave GPS and WIFI on and you don't have to reboot after charging. However, on the X running 2.1 the battery would sometimes drain quickly if you used it normally. My point is, that some people will not notice the battery drain bug depending on how they use the phone. That being said, I think the phone is designed with the idea that the user will keep GPS and WIFI settings ON. To do this, use the workaround I talked about (uncheck "use wireless networks", see above for more info) until you get the update.

WIFI uses less power than 3G so you want to keep the setting on.
GPS is used by apps as needed so you can keep the setting on as long as you pay attention to the apps using it. For example, when done with Navigation use the exit button from the menu. And when done with Maps return to the home screen.

Last edited:

GoldenGreg

Reaction score
the htc incredible has this same issue. in order to get it fully charged you have to:

1. charge phone until led indicator turns green while phone is ON.
2. unplug device, power phone off. Plug phone in. Charge until indicator turns green.
3. Power on device. Unplug. Power off. Plug back in one last time until indicator turns green.
4. ????
5. profit.

100% Agreed. Anyone who hasn't done this yet has no reason to complain. This will take care of calibration from the start. Otherwise at least do 1 and 2 and after a few cycle it will get to #5 :)
Guys, if the phone thinks is is really charged but it isn't, take a guess at your battery life....