Droid won't power on or have charge indicator

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Jaybogg, the cable you are referring to is called the Factory Programming Cable...

If you are unsuccessful, you can try fabricating your own How/why to make your own Motorola "Factory Cable". With that cable, you can bypass the charger circuitry that requires the Operating System and instead both charge and flash even without a battery.

You can also buy them online. I know TeamBlackHat had them (Factory style programming cable (for Motorola) ) but they're out of stock at the moment. If you google Droid RAZR Factory ProgrammingCable, you may find one.​

I know they are also available on eBay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251034201342#ht_5833wt_1168. I just bought one.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
As for not pushing anything... if the device is powered off, and I mean in normal circumstances, pushing the volume up or down will have it show a battery icon and the charge percentage for a brief moment. Its not going to hurt anything.

OP
W

WRXlovin

Reaction score
I did push the volume up/down and no batter charging indicator was shown whatsoever. Going on break here soon and out to see if my car charger works and if it doesn't off to fight with verizon -.-

OP
W

WRXlovin

Reaction score
Car charger didn't work, verizon gave the famous "we can't give you a new phone right now. It will be sent overnight to your home." So now without a phone till tomorrow but thanks for all the help guys

tomthbomb

Reaction score
If you have the constant white light.. that's bad.. you're doing everything you can.. good luck..

This is why its not advisable to kill the battery on these things... :cool:

Do you mean do not let the battery completely drain? Since I have had cell phones and laptops I have heard this should be done occassionally. I am willing to unlearn this if need be.

jaybogg

Reaction score
As for not pushing anything... if the device is powered off, and I mean in normal circumstances, pushing the volume up or down will have it show a battery icon and the charge percentage for a brief moment. Its not going to hurt anything.

In normal circumstances, you are 100% correct.:biggrin:

But these are not normal circumstances. Trust me, I wish it was not so, but due to my own ignorance (first time) and stupidity (second time):unsure:, I am speaking from experience. I pushed this button, saw the screen flash but no display, and the white light came back on. That leads me to believe that it was starting to accept a charge, but my monkeying around with it triggered it back into the "battery protection" mode. I then left it alone and it recovered. By the grace of a power greater than me, I have been lucky enough to recover from this both times, but it is a very time consuming process, and that part I don't fully understand. If it is conjecture or guessing on my part, I will qualify it as such so I don't mislead anyone.:biggrin:

@WRXlovin: For grins, I would put it back on the charger (car or house) that gave you a couple hours of white light and then the light went off. These were good indications for my recovery. Leave it there at least 6 hours, preferably overnight, and check it in the morning. If you are lucky enough to get it to come back up, you could then recover anything you want before sending it back in, or keep it and return the replacement if you so desire. What do you have to lose?

The first time I did this I was on the road. The car charger I had would make the white light flash on for a few seconds and then go out. It never would accept a charge with these indications. When I got home, I tried house chargers with the same results. Finally, I tried a car charger I had in my truck, and got the indications you reported, and the phone recovered.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Do you mean do not let the battery completely drain? Since I have had cell phones and laptops I have heard this should be done occassionally. I am willing to unlearn this if need be.

FoxKat, you out there? Basically yes, you need to unlearn those habits, they are for NiCads. I will defer to FoxKat to expound.:biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

This is correct. Older battery technology warranted draining of the battery to diminish the effects of "memory", where the battery would start to accept only the amount of charge that you typically used each day. Current technology, and specifically Lithium Ion Polymer battery technology (the ones in most new phones), font suffer from this problem. In fact, reducing the battery to "dead" (i.e. 0% and self-shutdown) can put the battery at risk of "deep discharge" where the battery can become unresponsive to the stock charger and the phone remains off. The post two above describes the potential effects of a deep discharge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
WRXlovin said:
I'm currently at work so I'll try it as soon as i get a break (the irony is i work on iphones,ipads,ipods all day)

Use the iPhone charging block. Its a 1a charger. Has worked for me several times. Yes I know, hanging head in shame, I have killed my battery several times bit my wife's iPhone charging block has worked every time. I think the ipad's is a 2a charger, probably overkill and would roast the battery. Considering where you are now.....

OP
W

WRXlovin

Reaction score
the only way i get the white light is in my car really so can't try the 6 hour hold on it sadly. I save everything to my memory card so im not really loosing anything at all.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Use the iPhone charging block. Its a 1a charger. Has worked for me several times. Yes I know, hanging head in shame, I have killed my battery several times bit my wife's iPhone charging block has worked every time. I think the ipad's is a 2a charger, probably overkill and would roast the battery. Considering where you are now.....

I actually believe the phone's charging circuitry has a current limiter which is set to 1A anyway to protect the battery from just that possible scenario, so a 2A charger would charge at the 1A rate.

cj2012

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my Samsung Infuse i997.

My Infuse is DEAD like an expensive paperweight!
It's been having power issues since I got it. I replaced the battery. Battery was draining. I could watch it tick down like a minute timer. It wasn't taking a charge from the car, so I thought it was the car outlets. It was taking charge from the house.

Now it's just dead. Yesterday when i plugged it in it would get the battery indicator, all white, momentarily. Today, nothing at all. I've tried every charger I can think of. Taken out the battery, pressed volume button, power button in every order I can think of.

In the last week I have been uninstalling apps in order to find the battery draining culprit. Two days ago an AT&T salesman loaded Juice Defender.

Any advice on reviving this phone so I can get all of my info off of it and get a different phone?

Thanks in advance!