Droid won't power on or have charge indicator

WRXlovin

Reaction score
I have a RAZR and it powered off and won't come back on. I tried the volume down and power, tried both volumes buttons and power, tried just powering it up but i get no response. Is it done for? I still get the white light whenever plugged in to a low power outlet such as my headunit, but i can't get it to react to anything.

jaybogg

Reaction score
I have a RAZR and it powered off and won't come back on. I tried the volume down and power, tried both volumes buttons and power, tried just powering it up but i get no response. Is it done for? I still get the white light whenever plugged in to a low power outlet such as my headunit, but i can't get it to react to anything.

Place it on your charger and let it try to accept a charge. You are not the first to do this and probably not the last. I have done it twice and the only way I got mine to recover was by using a third party car charger that applied enough power to "wake it up" if you will. There is a lot written on the forum here about this. Don't mean to scare you but this is not a good situation to be in, some have reported they were unable to recover. There is also a special "motorola factory cable" that can be purchased or built that will allow you to get past this problem if all else fails. Best of luck!

Also there is a Smartphone Battery Discussion forum here at DF. Follow the link. A gentleman by the name FoxKat is the resident battery expert. I am sure he can help you if you have no luck getting it to accept a charge.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
For now, make sure you use the charger that came with the phone, plugged into an outlet. Leave it on the charger for a few hours before you try to turn it on. You can check the state of charge by pressing on the volume button for a sec. It should then give you a battery icon showing what percent charge the phone is at.

When you plug it in, does the white light show for a second, then go off. If so, them that is a good sign. If the white light stays on, not so good.

If your phone is not taking a charge then follow through with jaybogg's suggestions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
W

WRXlovin

Reaction score
The white light stays on. I charged it overnight and did not do anything. Still no response. I can't even get the battery icon to appear when on charge.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ugh! It is not taking the charge and you will need to follow jaybogg's suggestions. Some people have had success with using a good car charger. If that does not work, there is the slim possibility that a corporate verizon store will have the factory charger that is able to force the charge. I know my local verizon store does but not sure if this is standard.

OP
W

WRXlovin

Reaction score
Okay, Thank you so much. I'll try my car charger and if that doesn't work its off to Verizon.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Good luck! All is not lost. The worst case scenario is that you will get a replacement phone.

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Ugh! It is not taking the charge and you will need to follow jaybogg's suggestions. Some people have had success with using a good car charger. If that does not work, there is the slim possibility that a corporate verizon store will have the factory charger that is able to force the charge. I know my local verizon store does but not sure if this is standard.

What is the difference between the charger that came with the phone and the one at the Verizon store?

jaybogg

Reaction score
What is the difference between the charger that came with the phone and the one at the Verizon store?

It is called a something like "factory cable". It is a standard USB cable except it has, a pin jumpered to allow techs to turn on the phone, no matter what condition the battery is in, and it charges the battery at the same time. Once again, FoxKat can shed more light on this. He mentions it here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sm...droid-razr-screwed-immidiate-help-please.html POST#5. He has also posted schematics of it previously.

@WRXlovin: I too had the white light stay on. I recovered using a third party car charger. Try to find 1 that delivers 750 to 1000mA(1A). This seems to "wake" the phone up. It does take a while (2 hours) last time for me. If the white light goes out, don't unplug or push any buttons, be patient. After an hour or so after the light goes out, try pushing the Vol up or down button and see if the giant charging icon shows up. If not, let it be, and try again later. This worked for me.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you have the constant white light.. that's bad.. you're doing everything you can.. good luck..

This is why its not advisable to kill the battery on these things... :cool:

OP
W

WRXlovin

Reaction score
Thing is my battery was on 10%, but when i plugged it in to charge it, it shut down, white light came on and stayed on for awhile(2-3hours), white light went off, during the entire time i couldn't get a battery charging meter or it to power on in any way.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Something you can do to check if your phone is charging when powered off is to press the volume up or down buttons..it will display a battery icon and a percentage.. you might check into your charger cable... my wife had an issue where the cable got loose and would have to be messed with to start charging, but bumping it would make it lose connection.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Thing is my battery was on 10%, but when i plugged it in to charge it, it shut down, white light came on and stayed on for awhile(2-3hours), white light went off, during the entire time i couldn't get a battery charging meter or it to power on in any way.

From my experiences, if the white light stayed on for 2-3 hours and then went out, this is a good thing. BUT DON'T PUSH ANYTHING!! First time it happened, I too, kept pushing buttons as I was very anxious, wondering if it was ruined. Follow the directions I previously posted, it worked for me. My personal opinion (and supported by many posts saying the display is using a lot of power), is that the attempt to bring up the processors and the display is too much of a power demand on the battery, the voltage drops below the "safe" point, and the phone shuts down the battery. The second time I accidentally let this happen, when the white light went out, I waited a few minutes(15-30) and tried to push the volume buttons to see if the large battery icon was there, nothing, after 2-3 hours with the light out, I went back outside and the battery icon was there.

Yes, it's frustrating, and yes, the whole process from dead to charge is 5-6 hrs minimum, but it worked for me.

Did you try the car charger? That's the only thing that has been successful in waking my phone back up after the battery shuts down. (enters a "safemode")

Side Note: First time this happened is how I found Droid Forums. Been here ever since!!:biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
W

WRXlovin

Reaction score
I'm currently at work so I'll try it as soon as i get a break (the irony is i work on iphones,ipads,ipods all day)

jaybogg

Reaction score
I'm currently at work so I'll try it as soon as i get a break (the irony is i work on iphones,ipads,ipods all day)

There's gotta be some irony in there somewhere!! Wish you the best, and if you work on this kinda stuff, you probably know what I'm trying to say about the battery protection circuit. It is designed to electronically disconnect the battery from the phone if the battery drops below a certain level. The voltage during discharge is fairly flat throughout the discharge until the end and then the voltage drops rapidly with the current. The second time I did this, (yes twice, quit laughing) my phone went from 10% to protection mode in what seemed like a matter of minutes. It could not have been more than 10-15 minutes at the most.

Be prepared for this thread to be moved to the "smartphone battery" thread mentioned previously. I am a bit surprised it hasn't happened already. AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, wish it was under better circumstances.