DROID will not Boot to Recovery

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by crease, Mar 28, 2010.

1. crease

crease New Member

I have tried many times to Boot to Recovery. Holding the X and Power Button just give the Motorola Logo indefinitely. I have to take the battery out to reboot it. I have tried several combinations. Holding X then pressing Power, doing them simultaneously,...none work, all have the same result.

A friend gave me this phone and I do not know much of the history except that it was on his verizon acct. He wanted to get rid of all of his info before he gave it to me, but even the Verizon tech could not do it!

I can boot normally.

I have also done a Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset twice. Both times it restarts to a Motorola Logo screen indefinitely.

I am able to use the ADB also. I have tried "adb reboot recovery" and "adb shell reboot recovery". Both it restart to a Motorola Logo screen indefinitely.

Thanks for reading and any help you might offer.

Len
  2. sneaky_zekey

sneaky_zekey New Member

can you boot into the bootloader. i think powering it on while holding the d pad down on the keyboard,if so then id try flashing one of the sbf files with rsdlite or whatever. that would flash your phone completly to stock with stock recovery.
  3. crease

crease New Member

Yes. I can boot to the BootLoader. Then I don't know what to do. I plug in the USB and the DROID screen says its ready for transfer. I am NOT rooted.

I was wondering if a file was missing on my DROID that's not allowing the Recovery to come up?
  4. sneaky_zekey

sneaky_zekey New Member

im assuming your missing the boot-from-recovery.p file. you should beable to flash the 2.0.1 sbf file with rsdlite or whatever. there are plenty of guides just google how to fix a brick droid.
  5. crease

crease New Member

I thought there might be an easier answer. thanks for your help. Ill try what you suggested and post my results.
    Thanks
  6. crease

crease New Member

Didn't work! Failed on both sbf's. Next?!
  7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Failing on an .sbf is common, RSDLite pretty much sucks haha. I had to flash multiple times before it finally did it successfully. I have heard people having to flash it 10+ times before it got it correct.
  8. thewil

thewil New Member

i have the same problem, i dont want to have to use rsdlite. do you know of anything else
  9. stabl4life82

stabl4life82 New Member

well when i used rsd lite it worked but i know u have to do it exactly right for it to "pass"...i have had problems with my phone not wanting to reboot into recovery the same way u r saying..i t will boot if i just let the phone boot up without holding any specific button but if i try to hold power and the x it doesnt work..it will stay on the logo also...then like u said, u have to take the battery out as well.....i dont honestly know the fix but i know as for me sometimes my sd wont mount when i try to go into clockwork recovery and it will automatically reboot itself and if i take the battery out is when this problem happens...but if i actually let it boot up and go to my rom manager and flash again and when it finally goes into recovery successfully at the time it will work fine again...y dont u try rooting the phone and then downloading rom manager and flash clockwork recovery and see if u can reboot into recovery like that....when ur friend wiped his phone out, it could have messed with something....
  10. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

What are your symptoms?
  11. Johnly

Johnly Guest

You sound like a doctor good sir. I let my fantasy football team die. Who is winning the league? Prolly Garret.
  12. mwhartman

That made me laugh, my friend! Hope your a fun funeral for the fantasy folks
    :biggrin:

Mike
  13. thewil

thewil New Member

well i used rsd but it failed and now its on the bootloader saying code corrupt
  14. thewil

thewil New Member

oh and btw i have root and i was trying to install a rom with rom manager but it wouldn't boot recovery
  15. mwhartman

Did you wipe the data and cache before you installed the new rom?
  16. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

:welcome:

But, unfortunately if you tried flashing a .sbf file and it failed and now you have code corrupt you don't have root anymore and you'll have to flash it to where you don't have code corrupt but you really need to give more details like which .sbf file exactly did you use what os are you using on your computer exactly how far did it get before it failed do you have the right drivers installed and everything because using rsd lite is very picky and tricky and so we need to really know how to proceed first things first make sure your battery stays well charged good and theres a thread in the labs section that will really help you out with flashing a .sbf file with rsd lite and i have the full on frg22d .sbf file in my collection below good luck
  17. thewil

thewil New Member

well ya see it didnt get past rebooting which is my problem, it would get to the M think about it then reboot like normal, but i did select wipe data and cache and i tried factory reset from settings but it didnt do anything
  18. thewil

thewil New Member

19. thewil

thewil New Member

as of right now my phone says
    "bootloader
    2c.6c

code corrupt
    battery low (blinking)
    cannot program" (also blinking)
  20. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Well, it is too bad that you jumped to using RSD Lite instead of waiting to try some other methods as mwhartman tried to steer you to. Now you are in a spot that only completing the flash with RSD Lite will fix. First, though you have to get your battery charged. It might be possible to get it charged if you plug it into the wall charger for a long time, however I don't think it charges while in bootloader mode. So either you buy a battery only charger or find a friend with a droid that will loan you a charged battery.

Then you will need to tackle RSD Lite. If it's not working on your Mac, you might have to find a windows machine, xp preferred. Here is a thread that has about the most information in it to using RSD Lite:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

good luck
Search tags for this page
boot to recovery droid
boot to recovery droid x2
droid 4 does not boot i to reco ery
droid 4 recovery boot

droid recovery

droid x boot recovery
droidtv boot recovery
how to boot the droid 4 into recovery
how to restore datarecovery on verizon droid original that w
motorola droid will not boot into recovery