Droid wifi identification

KevinGlover

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was curious if there's a way to find out how my droid will appear on a wifi network. Honestly, I'm using it for my school's wifi. Naturally it's not for anything bad (there's Sonicwall, after all), but just for general surfing since the 3G is terrible where I live.

Thanks a bunch,

Kevin

Also, it's an original Droid. One year has made it vintage :)

dcook12

Reaction score
Anybody?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Not sure what you are asking. I think that's why there are no replies. You say why would my droid show up on a wifi network...I don't know what that means. I know if you have a router on your computer and people search for the closest wifi spot and you are withing 200 yards of them, your router will show up. If you have it encrypted it doesn't matter if it shows up, nobody can use it. But the why does my droid show up really throws me...sorry...

OP
K

KevinGlover

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your replies. I'm sorry for my poorly worded question :s

So, put simply (I hope), if someone were to check the devices who had been on the wifi, would they be able to link me via my droid? That is, will my phone have appear with a device name like 'kevin glover' or anything of that sort? Or will it appear as a serial number, which would ensure that my device won't appear as anything that would relate it to me?

Sorry for the trouble, but I appreciate your guys' help!

Kevin

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
They might see your mac address, not going to know who's it is though.
Worst that could happen is they block you from connecting in the future.

Sent from the hand of zeus!

born2golf

Reaction score
Anybody?

Not sure what you are asking. I think that's why there are no replies. You say why would my droid show up on a wifi network...I don't know what that means. I know if you have a router on your computer and people search for the closest wifi spot and you are withing 200 yards of them, your router will show up. If you have it encrypted it doesn't matter if it shows up, nobody can use it. But the why does my droid show up really throws me...sorry...

nowhere in his question does he ask the question why. I thought his question was pretty clear. He wants to know what designation his device would have within the school's wifi network. For instance, when I connect to my home network my router labels my "new-host-4", for lack of any name my droid is advertising. I do not know if this the case for all android devices. Sorry, I don't have an answer for your exact question.

Lastly, I just noticed the OP edited his question at some point, so perhaps your original comment was accurate at the time. My apologies for correcting you if that was indeed the case.