OMG, this is so awesome, I didn't know my droid could do this!!!

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
When I get in my car, bluetooth allows my car and phone to talk. No need to take my phone out of my backpack or pocket. If I get a phone call, the car turns my radio off and lets me talk, hands free. When the conversation is done, the radio comes back on. I can play music from my phone over my car radio. The car will read text messages. No wires, phone still in backpack. I can transfer files too and from my phone when I'm sitting at my desk, or play music, no need to pull out the phone to plug something in.

I have no such needs. My bluetooth experience is nothing more then crappy sounding, uncomfortable ear inserts that I spent $100 with the only good reason for it being is that im too lazy to answer a freaking phone with my hand. And dont' wanna look/sound like a moron talking to myself in public.

And no, my car is not bluetooth capable anyway. And no, I don't feel the need or desire to have a stupid cell phone attached to my hip 24/7. I don't need to sync contacts, email, data ect... from my phone to my computer, wired or wireless. I don't need data synced for office or personal needs every 30 minutes. I don't to know every single email account every five minutes.

Reaction score
Lol..allright. All well and good. It sounded like you thought bluetooth was only for phone calls which is simply not the case.

---( via Dx )---

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
My bluetooth headset cost $10 with 2X replacement ear hooks and sounds fine. Not the most comfortable thing but a lot cheaper than a ticket, car, or a dead body on my conscience. :)

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I love WiFi - I use it on my phone all the time. Helps that I have 110 dBm where I live (no reception).

Try Motorola S305 for some nice comfortable bluetooth headphones if you really want. Use them allllllllll the time.

LS&N

Reaction score
"Very nice summation. Only clarification is you said text should always be free, but that depends upon your plan. Not everyone has unlimited text messaging, so it's not always free."

And it depends on WHERE you are
A friend went to Mexico and texted her bf a whole bunch of times over 10 days and it cost over $800 just for the texts
iPhone ATT

dredger

Reaction score

Ok so a breakdown is:
Phone minutes: used over cell network, not 3g or wifi, unless using a VoIP app like viber etc.

Txt: Should be free no matter the data transfer medium since they ride on the network signals being sent from phone to tower almost constantly BUT they are logged on txt plan unless u have a third party app to xfer over wifi.

Data: pulled over 3g or wifi, or 1x. Wifi data doesn't count towards ur data paln limit (if u have one). 3G data isn't as fast as most wifi and counts against plan (this only really matters if your tiered and not unlimited data).

Wifi: if you have wifi on all the time and searching for new networks it will notify u when new networks arw available. Wifi won't auto connect to networks unless you have connected before. If it is a secure network you can put in the wpa password and it will remember it untill u tell it to forget the connection. My network is setup to be 3g while at work, then auto connect to wifi when I am in range of my home wifi network.

I hope this helped a little. Enjoy your android!
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Very nice summation. Only clarification is you said text should always be free, but that depends upon your plan. Not everyone has unlimited text messaging, so it's not always free.

Thanks for the compliment. I guess I shouldn't have been so vague when discussing the texts. I meant that texts SHOULD be free, as in that is my opinion, because they ride on the same control channel that your phone uses to constantly communicate with the cell towers to monitor things like cell signal etc. Thus my opinion is that texts cost very little to manage and is very light on network resources.

tl;dr - I think texts should be free but they aren't. You either pay per text, pay for a limited plan, or pay for unlimited text.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Texting in-network should always be free, IMO, provided you have an active service plan. It's the out-of-network texting that costs any money whatsoever.

But that's off-topic, so... :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
tl;dr - I think texts should be free but they aren't. You either pay per text, pay for a limited plan, or pay for unlimited text.
...or text via GV and they are free. :D

Not that it matters in my case anyway as I have to carry a text messaging plan for my wife.

I guess I shouldn't have been so vague when discussing the texts. I meant that texts SHOULD be free, as in that is my opinion, because they ride on the same control channel that your phone uses to constantly communicate with the cell towers to monitor things like cell signal etc.
What a company charges for a product/service isn't solely based on the actual cost of the product/service.