Droid wakes me up in the middle of the night

Silver Member
Reaction score
then everything is an assumption at this point. like i've covered, system notifications is any notification that requires attention that has not been identified as having a customized notification process.

if you've set your email, messaging, im clients, calendar and anything else to use their own notification process, then the system notification will only be for system messages, such as your SD card mounting and unmounting, your phone rebooting or various other system notifications.

my advice would be to turn off system notifications and/or SD card notifications.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
I don't have locale, but I guess I need to examine all of my apps and see what's going on.
It's weird that there would be an audio notification but nothing in the task bar to tell you what you're being notified of.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have locale installed? Locale wakes me up all the time, it reestablishes its location every so often it seems. So I wake up to a notification showing me that its on my wireless connection (which I think is how locale determines its in that location). Either way I get random notifications from locale all the time and its annoying as piss. To the point I stopped using the app.
i tried locale for all of one day before i decided it was garbage. too many variables that just couldn't be constantly accounted for. i'd much rather silent my phone when needed.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have locale, but I guess I need to examine all of my apps and see what's going on.
It's weird that there would be an audio notification but nothing in the task bar to tell you what you're being notified of.
sounds like a good indication of your SD card mounting to me. if you've got NO OTHER app that would be running in the background, it sounds like a perfectly good explaination. turn off SD card notifications.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Okay, I found the SD Notification setting and unchecked it.
Where do I find other system notifications?

The only notification that I have set is for email, and I always have unread email before I go to bed, so that shouldn't alarm.

Silver Member
Reaction score
well, the notifications in your settings will apply to everything that hasn't had a custom setting. so say, if you went into the gmail client and set it's own setting (ringtone, notification, vibrate), it would override the system setting.

Werd

Reaction score
I really really enjoy locale for the most part, its quick and changes locations really fast. The only real down side is again it randomly notifies me of a connection, maybe my router is set to kill a wireless connection after a time frame. Unlikely but i'll check tonight, cause there is no way to tell locale to not notify me of a change from the options I looked at.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Technically the dock is a charger. Its USB plug is what gets stuck into the Droid's socket, not the plug from the charging cable. Splitting hairs, ya, I know.
what? the dock is just a break in the usb connection. it's not physically doing any charging. the USB cable that plugs into the back of the dock and into the wall, is identical to the one that comes with the phone.

the only thing the dock does is keep the DROID upright and invoke the magnet to launch the dock app.

the dock has no involvement with charging, whatsoever.

Erm...Huh? Last time I checked the dock charges my droid every night so technically it is a charger?

Anyway another Program to check out is Foxy Ring, it's a pretty cool program that adjust your ringtone level based on how loud your environment is also it has a sleep mode where you can specify what times to silent your phone.

Silver Member
Reaction score
we're seriously still talking about this? take apart your docking station and let me know what circuitry is in there that is charging your phone. the cradle is a physical extension of the usb cable that plugs into the wall. you could remove the cable from the back of the cradle and plug it directly into your phone. is your cradle still "charging" your phone then??????

all the cradle does is stand your phone upright and invoke the dock app.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
we're seriously still talking about this? take apart your docking station and let me know what circuitry is in there that is charging your phone. the cradle is a physical extension of the usb cable that plugs into the wall. you could remove the cable from the back of the cradle and plug it directly into your phone. is your cradle still "charging" your phone then??????

all the cradle does is stand your phone upright and invoke the dock app.

I see what you're saying but your wording makes one believe your saying that the dock doesn't allow you to charge your phone, when in fact it does when plugged in.

To OP, When you say your using the Night Clock are you talking about the clock in docking mode or a seperate application?

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
To OP, When you say your using the Night Clock are you talking about the clock in docking mode or a seperate application?

Night Clock is a separate app. It's just a simple, very dark clock.

It happened again last night at exactly midnight. I've gone through every single app on the Droid and confirmed that nothing has any kind of alarm or notification set. No alarm clocks, no calendar events, nothing that I can find. I'm stymied. I don't know where else to look.

I certainly didn't buy the dock just to charge my phone!

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you're running a different app, this is most likely your issue. i hate to put you through the chance of another restless night, but i recommend putting your phone in safe mode before you go to bed and report back.

putting your phone in safe mode will prevent all apps and widgets from loading at startup (except the phone defaults).

it HAS to be something you've installed.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score

I agree. It's just so weird that ANY app would play an audio alarm without any visual indication of what's going on!

Silver Member
Reaction score

I agree. It's just so weird that ANY app would play an audio alarm without any visual indication of what's going on!
maybe you should check out a task killer to see what the hell is going on. you've obviously got something resident, that's running in the background. most likely that night clock, but it could be almost anything if you're not keen to what these apps do.

ATK or anything like that will help you identify the culprit.

running in safe mode will prove that it's an app and not an issue with the phone.

Benton

Reaction score
We have two Droids and both are on dock stations at night. Neither Droid has alerted us through the night except one is set as an alarm clock and wakes us at the set time. Yes, both Droids charge in the docking station as can be seen when we go to bed with 70% charge (for example) and wake with 100% battery level.