Droid vs Nexus?

wil318466

Reaction score
Verizon has the best network, hands down. If you hear people in these forums, there are multiple people who've said (me included) they its very hard to remember when the last time they dropped a call was.

That being said, its up to you. Personally, I'd wait a few weeks for it to go to Verizon, but I would say you can't go wrong with either choice, if network isn't an issue.

-Wil

jgorman13

Reaction score
Yea that guy is gonna have to eat his droid, because i have heard from vzw store that the nexus is coming very soon, march 23 sounds about right. I personally like the n1's form factor and looks, but the droids keyboard was what drew me in. coming from a bb, you need some sort of qwerty keyboard. not to mention it helps when playing emulators.

gatorbait

Reaction score
I'm assuming you can wait until the Nexus One hits Verizon and you can take the carrier out of the equation, but Verizon's network is a huge pro for the Droid right now. I researched both phones because I considered trading my Droid for a Nexus One when it arrived on Verizon (mainly because I like the form factor better), but honestly, the differences between the two are negligible. Here is what I've come up with:

Nexus One:
+ Faster processor and more ram compared to Droid.
+ Full-featured Android 2.1 OS (nobody knows if the Droid will get this).
+/- AMOLED screen (but it doesn't perform well under sunlight, and has some contrast/saturation issues).
+/- Thinner "candy bar" form factor w/ trackball (but no hardware keyboard).
- Soft back/menu/home/search buttons are unresponsive on the lower half.
- Problems with multi-touch implementation (as seen by newest videos).

Droid:
+ Higher resolution screen compared to the Nexus One (854x480, which is true widscreen resolution, vs. 800x480).
+ Comes with 16GB SD card compared to the Nexus One's 4GB card.
+/- Thicker, heavier form factor, but has a hardware keyboard.
- Slower processor and less ram compared to the Nexus One.

I decided it wasn't worth it to "upgrade" to a Nexus One from a Droid because their pros/cons are pretty much a wash. I think the only real valid reasons to go with the Nexus One at this point are if you prefer it's form factor and/or you really must have the 1Ghz Snapdragon processor and 512MB of RAM. The differences between the two phones are negligible and the Droid actually beats the Nexus One in certain respects.

JBHorner

Reaction score
The nexus touchscreen is not supposed to work as well as the Droid....it also has no flash and no hard buttons.....
In fact, it does have a flash. It does not have hard buttons for call management, but does have a volume control and trackball (which can be utilized for various things). The camera on the N1 is far superior to the Droid.

I haven't noted a vast difference in the touchscreen between the two.

Joel

big.daddy

Reaction score
maybe the htc incredible will be a better device. From the looks of it, it looks like a must have.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dunno after seeing all these things coming out for the Droid (Stanrc's and many others Black Bar mods, and of course the Droid Mod team continued to excel at their custom ROMs) I dont really see the point at getting the Nexus One anymore.

windstrings

Reaction score
Technically the camera in the DROID costs more.

with the exception of the processor.. seems most everything is better quality in the droid.... I do like AMOLED screens... they are fantastic in normal room lighting.. but stink pretty bad in sunlight.

JCo352

Reaction score

with the exception of the processor.. seems most everything is better quality in the droid.... I do like AMOLED screens... they are fantastic in normal room lighting.. but stink pretty bad in sunlight.

I would have to agree there, they are nice. But I'm not sure if the more red hue of the AMOLED is worth the sunlight problem.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Droid's camera has great clarity, just low light settings suffer. I believe it to be a firmware issue, not hardware. But that's IMO.

slinky

Reaction score
+1 - The Nexus 1 should have an Outlook bridge that f#@$ing works, unlike the Moto Droid.

darreno1

Reaction score
After all these recent issues with the N1, I'm less than impressed. Except for carrier choice, I see no compelling reason to choose it over the Droid. If the Droid is not your thing for whatever reason, just wait it out till the next wave if high-end phones come around.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I would have to agree there, they are nice. But I'm not sure if the more red hue of the AMOLED is worth the sunlight problem.

I've seen this reference several times but I've never seen it discussed in detail. One of the main reasons I moved to the Droid was the fact that it was the first phone I've ever had that I could actually use when the sun is shining. (Yes, the sun does shine in Seattle.) My previous WinMo phone was literally useless in any environment but an office simply because the screen could not be seen.

I haven't examined an N1 but I find it puzzling that reviewers comment on the BRIGHT beautiful AMOLED screen yet complain about its performance in sunlight. Is it that the colors are not "true" in bright sunlight or that the screen cannot be read?