Droid vs Nexus?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Droid screen does do very well in direct sunlight. Very easy to read.

windstrings

Reaction score
We need a higher output amoled that can fluctuate.

Take a picture on your phone and bluetooth it over to a phone with amoled.
The Amoled is stunning in lowlight indoor conditions... almost like looking at a scene through a polarizing filter.
Until you see your picture on an amoled screen and compare, only then can you see the difference for real.

No white light.. all colors are pure at the frequency mean't to be by the color depicted... deeper greens, blues richer reds etc.... Led's are exact frequencies and can do well to depict color.

However as a good LED TV screen with a lots of sunlight coming in the room or bright backlights, the white light of the sun mixes with the light sent from the screen and overwhelms the rich colors and turns them into washed out blah!

Similiar to how high quality LED screens at Vegas can literally "blast" through the blinding sunlight and still look good... higher quality amoled could do the same if they had enough output.

True, they may be battery killers but normally we don't stand in the sun for long trying to play with our phone.

Its exciting to see new stuff hit the market.

I agree.. if you presently have a droid.. stick with it until the next go round.. I don't think the Nexus is worth fretting over....

Even if you haven't bought either yet, its a hard decision.

I love the open source tweakability of the Droid.
But hey... some want an I-phone.. go figure...

I don't even use my keyboard and I still like my Droid.. but who knows.. If I had a Nexus, maybe I would be biased towards it too... don't know.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Without reading every post, I can tell you the major selling point for me was the Droid's hardware keyboard. I do internal IT at my company and configure people's phones to receive email (out of courtesy) and I used to hate working with the iPhone or Blackberry Storm because I was terrible with the touchscreen keyboard given my first and only phone til the Droid was the Moto RAZR. I've gotten quite used to the Droid's onscreen keyboard, so much that I use it quite often and am much better with the iPhone because of it. However I can still say I'll likely not buy a phone anytime in the near future that doesn't have an option for a hardware keyboard.

Aside from that it's a tough pick if you ask me, especially when Nexus One and iPhone are on VZW as well.
The Droid in opinion is killer all around; nicely performing (big) touchscreen, the ability to handle the high end games, hardware keyboard, 16GB by default like the iPhone 3Gs, etc..

The Nexus one is slim, sleek, and apparently a little faster/snappier, with the aforementioned 2.1 by default and all the features that come with it.

The iPhone, like the Nexus One is also an eye charmer but also has the experience. By this I mean that even though I'm the furthest thing from an Apple fan, I can acknowledge that with having been out a lot longer and being an adapture from the iPod, a lot of it's quirks and limits have been found. For this reason it supposedly performs a little better, animation is snappier and smoother, and it has a TON of applications and games.

Don't think on it too hard though if you ask me; all three are incredible "phones" but the next best thing will come out of the woodwork before you know it to put them all out of commission.

Last edited:

svttech76

Reaction score
The nexus does have a faster processor but if I am not mistaken it uses that one processor for everything whileb the droid has a seprate gpu

fr4c

Reaction score
The nexus does have a faster processor but if I am not mistaken it uses that one processor for everything whileb the droid has a seprate gpu
Correct the Droid has a separate GPU.

windstrings

Reaction score
It means the cpu for the droid if free to do all the work for the droid and not have to also render graphics too.. because there is a separate GPU it carrys all the load for graphics.

So while the nexus has a faster processor, it gets lugged down with graphics too to offset that attention and speed from the general processing for programs etc.

Another way to look at it is... an overclocked Droid should outperform a Nexus because the GPU on the Droid is extra muscle the Nexus is forced to share with the cpu.

cpu = "central processing unit"
gpu = "graphics processing unit"

In computers its always nicer to have a seperate GPU because you can upgrade it without having to rip the whole motherboard. Memory as well as processing is on a separate card free from the motherboard that handles most everything else.
While it would be difficult to upgrade the gpu in the droid, it does mean it has two hands "one to juggle graphics, the other proecesses for programs" while the nexus has to do both with one hand.

svttech76

Reaction score
Ok can somebody explain how the nexus is better then. Sure the nexus has a 1ghz processor and 512 flash memory. But the Droid has a 550 processor a 530 gpu and 256 ram and 512 rom according to wiki.. so it really seems like a wash to me unless I am missing something

jRaskell

Reaction score
For me, a physical keyboard is a must. I have several friends and family members with iPhones and iPods, and I've used them all. I just don't like the virtual keyboards, nor do I like the screen real estate they consume when using them.

I'm sure I could get used to a virtual keyboard if I had to, but the beauty is I don't have to. I switched from T-Mobile G1 to a Droid on Verizon. Keyboardless smartphones just weren't on my comparison list when I was looking to change providers and upgrade my phone. A few extra millimeters of thickness and a few extra grams of weight are negligible in my book as well. I'm always amused at people who call the Droid a brick because it is so much larger and heavier than the iPhone.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
For me, a physical keyboard is a must. I have several friends and family members with iPhones and iPods, and I've used them all. I just don't like the virtual keyboards, nor do I like the screen real estate they consume when using them.

I'm sure I could get used to a virtual keyboard if I had to, but the beauty is I don't have to. I switched from T-Mobile G1 to a Droid on Verizon. Keyboardless smartphones just weren't on my comparison list when I was looking to change providers and upgrade my phone. A few extra millimeters of thickness and a few extra grams of weight are negligible in my book as well. I'm always amused at people who call the Droid a brick because it is so much larger and heavier than the iPhone.

The Droid is also likely a lot more durable than the iPhone. I always feel like the iPhones are going to slip out of my hand and snap in half if hits the ground. In all honesty though, drop both on the ground, and they'll probably both be severely damaged.

I agree as well with the hardware keyboard. Given I text a lot (or type with one hand) I've become quite accustomed to the on-screen keyboard and given it's impressive sensitivity and response time, I've gotten rather good at it, so the iPhone is a snap now as well. Regardless, the hardware keyboard is still a must when typing long emails or during heavy texting.