1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid vs htc passion

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by gburns8635, Dec 5, 2009.

1. gburns8635

gburns8635 New Member

Hey everyone, first off I want everyone to know I love this phone, but I'm really not as experienced as most of you are so its taking me a lot of time to figure it out. My question is if and when the HTC passion comes out will it be faster than the Droid?
  2. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

probably. nobody knows. there are a ton of "speculating" threads on the Passion. do a search for them.
  3. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Yes lots faster.... and when hover cars come out they'll be faster than cars now. Of course neither are confirmed :)
  4. J-Buck

J-Buck New Member

Yes. Technology is increasing at rapid rate so it will always get better. All that matters is that you like your Droid.
  5. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

Will it be faster? Probably... Until you add HTC Sense to it... then... same speed and lower resolution with the Qualcomm processor which does not have the dedicated GPU... Just a little prognostication (and sarcarsm of course) :rolleyes:
  6. johnatthebar

johnatthebar New Member

7. Martin030908

Nothing has gone thru FCC yet... no hard evidence... it's all speculation and hopes and dreams...
  8. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

I'm not a fan of HTC's hardware at all. I wont get into detail as why but I don't expect the Passion to be anything other than just another device by HTC.
  9. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

I have been saying this in multiple threads...but HTC produces B+ phones and will continue to do so (most likely).

They have been doing the same things for the past 2 years and have put out phones like there are flavors of candy and icecream. Sure, the "Passion" will be a fine piece of hardware but so what? If you want an iPhone replica, then go to AT&T and suck it up. Everything about the Passion resonates with the word "immitation."

Not that HTC can't turn the tables... but whats in it for them to make the Passion so dominant on whatever network they decide to put it on? They come out with 50 phones a year on various carriers.

That all being said...Motorola turned the tide dealing with their future. They were in last place amongst smartphone developers. Does HTC feel the pressure that Motorola did? Nope...that doesn't necessarily mean they won't put their heart and soul behind the Passion...but its not as likely. No one can predict the future though.

If it expands the Android marketplace while I have a Droid phone (for this generation anyway), then I hope its beneficial.
  10. Martin030908

I'm with you. Benefits us all this way.
  11. vzwmandroid

vzwmandroid New Member

Rumor Mill: T-Mobile To Get Passion? phandroid.com
    PassionC = CDMA? = Verizon?
    Passion = GSM? = Tmo?
  12. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

I know the Droid is underclocked from 600 Mhz down to 550 Mhz to save battery life and preveny overheating. How will they handle the 1 Ghz chip which is supposed to be in the Passion/Dragon? Will they need to severely underclock it or have they solved these problems somehow? Will be interesting to see.
  13. pequeajim

pequeajim New Member

Not all chips are underclocked because they produce too much heat, or consume too much battery. It will be interesting, if this IS a real phone, to see what they do with it. Oh, and by the way, the vapor Passon IS supposed to render more polygons than any current phone in place, including the iPhone. I forget where I read that, but will dig it up for you guys.

Probably a reference to the HD2 which is a real phone.
  14. Wes4386

Wes4386 New Member

Even if the specs on it are better I still would not want an HTC.
  15. vzwmandroid

vzwmandroid New Member

What's so bad about HTC wes4386?
  16. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Not all but alot of them are underclocked, if not to produce less heat then to save on battery life. Most people i've talked to are speculating that even though the passion will have a 1Ghz processor it will not be running at that speed. Of course everything is speculation, but at 1Ghz it would produce alot more heat, so unless they come up with an innovative design to cool it down, then there will be issues. Having the droid and seeing how much heat CAN be put out on it when you are charging and using it heavy mode, it can get pretty dang hot... close enough to too hot. And we are what, at 550Mhz, your talking about a phone that is possible of 1Ghz, and people think it will be running at 1Ghz, doubtful. Once phones start getting that high of a speed, they are seriously going to have to do something about heat issues. Not to mention that will take a toll on battery, which so far, batteries are not miracles of science, they can't have that much of a charge in that little of a space (yet). Talk about bad battery life, go pick up an eris and see how long you can go with moderate to heavy use on it. I will be amazed if this unit stocks at 1Ghz, not only to see if the unit explodes due to heat, but how long the battery would last even under moderate use.

The Mhz's i've heard floating around the rumormill have been 750-800Mhz.
  17. kman79

kman79 New Member

I've had great luck with HTC phones, in fact, I strongly believe they're produce much better hardware than Motorola. I've had very bad luck with motorola phones from the past, and with all my random restarts/reboots with my droid, my bad luck continues. There's a reason why everyone talked about how motorola as a cell phone manufacturer is very close do dying, I was hoping the Droid would be start of something different and good. In terms of software or when the phone actually works, it's great and I can't complain. But just today alone, I've had four random reboots with the phone not doing anything except laying on my table.

I'm hoping the Passion comes out before the 24th, if it does, the droid goes back for a swap for the Passion. Regardless, this Droid is going back for a swap out on Monday.
  18. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

I think your mistaking hardware for software this go around. Most of the random reboots have been associated with software glitches. Other then the back door not staying on very well, i haven't personally had any problems with this, and i haven't heard of many other hardware related problems. I haven't had my phone "randomly" reboot ever. Seeing as it HAS to have a 2 week clearance from the FCC before it goes live. Your 24th date window is pretty much closing. Most rumors i've heard stated at least January if not February, at the earliest.

HTC Eris sports a 1300 mAh battery. Talk time: 214 min
    Moto Droid sports a 1400 mAh battery. Talk time: 384 min

And look at how many posts there are about the battery life of the eris. Most are getting around 4 hours of use... lol that phone would be taken back in a dang heartbeat. Most droid owners are getting around 7-8 with moderate to heavy usage. With only 100mAh difference, there's something wrong with HTC, so if it's not HTC that is the problem, then it's there awe sparkling sense ui.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  19. kman79

kman79 New Member

That's the thing, I've read on other boards how their Droid randomly reboots, but after swapping it out, the issue has been resolved. I'd blame it in software myself at first, but if that's the case, then just about everyone would have reboot/restart issues since we're all running the same software.

Really have no complaints about the battery life, the phone easily finishes the day off with a good amount of battery power left, which is a huge improvement over the iPhone that I left behind with ATT.

EDIT: Just wanted to add: I hardly doubt any of the new phones coming out with the 1ghz dragon processor will be released at full 1ghz...just about every phone rumored to have that processor is rumored to be released with it underclocked.
  20. ezeddiekun

ezeddiekun New Member

Guys just think about HTC HD2 and Sony Ericsson X10. They run 1GHz processors are they overheating??

I never previously owned a motorola or htc but now I have a motorola and I have to say I'm very unhappy. Quality of my droid is just horrible. I've never used htc before but hopefully they're not like motorola on quality because I'm jumping onto the htc boat.