Android 2.1 - SenseUI - HTC Passion - Droid

Rangerks

Reaction score
To start I couldn't really narrow down where to start this thread as it doesn't have a lot to do with the Moto Droid. I do not own a Droid yet, but will be the user of an Android phone within a month or two, if not sooner.

I've almost gone and bought the Moto Droid or Eris a few times now, each time I get to the store and can't get myself away from the Eris because of the SenseUI, but at the same time want the assurance of having Android 2.0+ and the power of the DROID and all the good stuff with it... After seeing the rumor of a soon to be release or possibility of SenseUI running Android 2.0 I have a few questions.

1) Does everyone think (and its hard not to) that the Moto Droid is the flagship Android device moving forward? If so for how long 1-2 months, 6 months, a year?

2) Will HTC release a new phone/hardware that runs SenseUI on Android 2.0+ before the end of January 2010 (obviously this is all on speculation) which would most likely be the Dragon - Passion, whatever.

3) Does the HTC Eris have the processing power including graphic processing to stand the demands of Android 2.0

In a nutshell i'd love to have the Eris knowing it has the battery/processing to run flawless with Android 2.0, if not then i'd just snap up the Droid now, but I keep worrying come late January the Passion is going to be released and be THE Android phone to have (SenseUI / Android 2.0 / Snapdragon processor)

Honestly would love to just have a damn android phone i'm tired of spending 2 hours a day on this damn forum reading, i want to play, but i don't want to make a $375 mistake. ya DIG

:motdroidhoriz::icon_ banana::icon_evil::icon_eek:

J

JohnDroid

To start I couldn't really narrow down where to start this thread as it doesn't have a lot to do with the Moto Droid. I do not own a Droid yet, but will be the user of an Android phone within a month or two, if not sooner.

I've almost gone and bought the Moto Droid or Eris a few times now, each time I get to the store and can't get myself away from the Eris because of the SenseUI, but at the same time want the assurance of having Android 2.0+ and the power of the DROID and all the good stuff with it... After seeing the rumor of a soon to be release or possibility of SenseUI running Android 2.0 I have a few questions.

1) Does everyone think (and its hard not to) that the Moto Droid is the flagship Android device moving forward? If so for how long 1-2 months, 6 months, a year?

2) Will HTC release a new phone/hardware that runs SenseUI on Android 2.0+ before the end of January 2010 (obviously this is all on speculation) which would most likely be the Dragon - Passion, whatever.

3) Does the HTC Eris have the processing power including graphic processing to stand the demands of Android 2.0

In a nutshell i'd love to have the Eris knowing it has the battery/processing to run flawless with Android 2.0, if not then i'd just snap up the Droid now, but I keep worrying come late January the Passion is going to be released and be THE Android phone to have (SenseUI / Android 2.0 / Snapdragon processor)

Honestly would love to just have a damn android phone i'm tired of spending 2 hours a day on this damn forum reading, i want to play, but i don't want to make a $375 mistake. ya DIG

:motdroidhoriz::icon_ banana::icon_evil::icon_eek:

I think the Droid will be the flagship for at least 6 months.

I also believe that since they've sold so many Droid units (nearing 1 million now) that the Droid platform will get most of the development/attention on the Verizon network.

Having said that, I still think the Eris will get 2.0/2.1 eventually, just not sure when.

LordKastle

Reaction score
The model Droid will be Verizon's flagship phone until next generation...but it should not matter what a carrier decides to make its flagship phone and you should go by your own preference. I own a Droid but I could care less if the masses buy it or not...what good is a sheep's mentality?

How many phones does HTC come out with on every carrier?... And after you answer this rhetorical question then I ask why do you think the Passion would be promoted so heavily beyond all their others? You have seen now for over 2 generations how HTC promotes their phones, it will not change now.

At the pace HTC is moving, and there is no promise it will arrive on Verizon by the way, it will be in the middle of this generation's phones. So, while it may have the hardware it will be sandwiched in between the generations with new phones surely to be released after and the cycle just is never ending. Get a phone you enjoy.

I supported Motorola this time. Knowing they had to come out with a product that would save their future is something I took note of. They were in last place when it came to smartphones so they knew they had to come out with knock out phone or they would be 6 feet under in a grave.

Funny how when a person or company has its back against the wall they come out with a better than expected effort. Thats why this Droid may be Verizon's flagship phone for this generation...but come next generation Motorola better not get cocky.

keiichi25

Reaction score
I agree, the Motorola Droid, and actually the Droid Eris will be their premier Droid Phones til they get a new series out.

Verizon is pushing the name 'Droid' on the Android based phones much like Apple likes their 'i' signature with iPod, iPhone, iTouch products. For the most part, I believe Verizon made very good Marketing push to make the Android based phones seem a good alternative to the iPhone, much more so than the T-mobile MyTouch Commercials (Which I liken more to just google commercials) and HTC's commercials. Sprint is current hitting it from a slightly different angle, but pointing out they have the HTC phones that have thousands of apps, so they are trying to follow on Verizon's footsteps.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I guess it depends on whether you always have to have the "latest and greatest". At the rate technology moves, I wouldn't expect the Droid to be the "flagship" (whatever that means) for more than 3-4 months. I do expect it to be one of the phones that VZW continues to promote for longer than that though.

For now, I'd say: don't worry, be happy, buy a Droid!