1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid Volume Excessively Low or Acting Differently than in the Past.

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by terry.g.johnson, Nov 16, 2009.

1. terry.g.johnson

terry.g.johnson New Member

When in gps navigation mode (ext power) or listening to music (Pandora) sometimes the phone gets into a low volume mode where at max volume you have to hold the phone to your ear to hear it. I have found that this can be "fixed" by powering down the phone completely (hold down the power button until you get the Phone Options Menu and then select "Power Off") I suspect that this has the effect of rebooting the computer...

In general I think that this should be tried if the phone starts acting differently than in the past. Something like rebooting a pc that starts acting up.
  2. brandan003

brandan003 New Member

ive had this happen to me.
    it sucks
  3. iclickjohn

iclickjohn New Member

4. terry.g.johnson

terry.g.johnson New Member

Iclickjohn, after reading your Softpedia attachment which points out that the Ringtone Volume is also only audible if you have the phone is close to your ear, I recalled that I had also failed to answer calls which were received while the phone was in this abnormal state- a much more serious problem!
  5. Guindalf

Guindalf New Member

I'm on my third Droid and I have this problem. First time it happened (Sunday), I took it back to the store where a reset fixed it, but it happened again last night while I was driving home - I lost audio directions in Google Nav.

I didn't have this issue with the first two. #1 had the dreaded reboot problem and #2 had an ill-fitting slider.
  6. jdm

jdm New Member

I just exchanged my droid for a new one with no problems for this problem
  7. texasPI

texasPI New Member

So just to clarify, you're saying the sound comes from the ear piece rather than the external speaker thus needing to hold it close to your ear?
  8. jdm

jdm New Member

Nope, the sound still came from the speaker it was just really quiet and distorted
  9. techguru

techguru New Member

I have had this happen twice. It seems to be related to receiving a call and answering on a Bluetooth headset, while the Navigation app is running. When the call hangs up, all sounds start going to the earpiece instead of the headset.

First time, I reset the phone. Second time, I had a little more time to play, and I killed all non-hidden tasks with task-killer, and it cleared the problem. Not sure which app was the culprit though.

Alan
  10. jdm

jdm New Member

with me it was not related to nav or bluetooth. In fact I tried but could find no cause. Also, with my phone the sound was coming from the speaker not the bluetooth.
  11. jltung

jltung New Member

Low Droid Volume

I had the same problem after down loading "Ringer toggle widget" which I uninstalled. (I would uninstall any app or widget which concerned sound and reload carefully.)

I backed up everything I could in Apps Manager and google.

Then went to Settings, Privacy, (checked 'Back up my settings') and then did a
    'Factory data reset'. Then followed instructions with almost complete restoration of all my apps and settings.

Sound came back to full volume.
  12. TheCleaner

TheCleaner New Member

I had the same problem with Google Navigation over the weekend.

I'm hopnig it's just a software glitch with the phone that will be resolved soon.
  13. thegipper

thegipper New Member

Mine was not coming from the speaker but form the earpiece. Don't own bluetooth headset so that wasn't it for me.

I started a phonecall (voicemail) and switched it to speakerphone and ended the call and the sound returned to coming out the speakers. I then got a txt, which revert the low sound, from earpiece, not speaker.
  14. messlah

messlah New Member

i had this happen to me yesterday. i was listening to pandora using headphones and tried using navigation. it would tone out pandora, but then the navigation instructions were inaudible. i should note that ringer and media vol were at max as i used the headphones while on my motorcycle.
  15. bigthinker

bigthinker New Member

This has happened to me for the first time today also...The ring volume showed it was on high....missed a couple of calls...then pulled the battery to reset and then it worked fine....
  16. jscotti

jscotti New Member

I had a similar (if not the same) problem. I found that when I used some earphones with the earphone jack and then removed the earphone plug from the jack, the sound only came from the phone speaker and was thus very quiet no matter what I tried with audio settings. Both times happened when I plugged in external earphones in the jack. Both times had the unit remain in the phone speaker mode until I power cycled it and it returned to normal in both cases. I don't know if there is a less obtrusive way to get the audio back to the regular speaker but this seems like a "feature" that ought to be fixed in an OTA update such as the one that is imminent.
  17. dpwhitten

dpwhitten New Member

Same thing happened to my Droid. I have not used Nav yet, but I have used a bluetooth earpiece a couple of times. Seemed to have occurred a couple of days after the last time I used the BT. A power cycle restored the volume, but if this continues to occur back to Verizon I go. Thanks for those who started this thread, as I was able to locate forum and a solution from a web search.
  18. Fraxinus

Fraxinus New Member

I have experienced a similar issue (for the first time yesterday) and I *have* applied the 2.0.1 update - though manually, not OTA. I had been listening to the media player through the headphone jack. Some time later I received a phone call and got no audio from the earpiece. I was able to use speakerphone without issue but when toggling back and forth no audio would come from the earpiece.
    I tried calling voicemail a couple times with the same result - nothing through the earpiece, but perfect audio with speakerphone turned on. I ended up power cycling my device as well and everything is fine now. I just tried listening to some music with headphones, then unplugging them, then trying a call to voicemail again. No issues, but I'm not sure I'm replicating the original issue correctly...I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Search tags for this page
droid 4 external volume low
droid mini volume too low?
droid ultra. volume too low

droid volume

low volume and droid
low volume on pandora android
master volume pandora android
my phones media volume is too low on my droid x
pandora android low volume
pandora volume low android
pandora volume on my android phone is low