Is my Droid done?

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
i've played around with multiple roms back and forth and never had any issues. but recently i flashed back to ultimate droid 3.3.1 and in the past i've had no issues with any rom honestly but tonight my phone landed in water for the first time but only a tiny little ammount of it. i tried it off and the touch screen started acting up so i shut it down and rebooted. it worked for a short while then the volume button refused to respond. so i tried to reboot and its now stuck on the M logo. i tried going into recovery mode and it got into it once but froze and i had to pull the battery. now i can't get into clockwork mod recovery or anything. its just staying on the M logo. is there anything i can do to repair my phone? i've had it for a little over a year now and i could upgrade to the D-3 but i dont have the money for it just yet and i dont know if i can wait a whole week to get the money for it....

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've played around with multiple roms back and forth and never had any issues. but recently i flashed back to ultimate droid 3.3.1 and in the past i've had no issues with any rom honestly but tonight my phone landed in water for the first time but only a tiny little ammount of it. i tried it off and the touch screen started acting up so i shut it down and rebooted. it worked for a short while then the volume button refused to respond. so i tried to reboot and its now stuck on the M logo. i tried going into recovery mode and it got into it once but froze and i had to pull the battery. now i can't get into clockwork mod recovery or anything. its just staying on the M logo. is there anything i can do to repair my phone? i've had it for a little over a year now and i could upgrade to the D-3 but i dont have the money for it just yet and i dont know if i can wait a whole week to get the money for it....

stick it in rice (go buy some if you need to) for atleast 24 hours, don't try to turn it back on again until it sits in the rice.

OP
Silvernirvash

Silvernirvash

Reaction score

stick it in rice (go buy some if you need to) for atleast 24 hours, don't try to turn it back on again until it sits in the rice.

are you being SERIOUS or you just ****ing with me? rice? seriously? how will that help in any way?
oh and i can get into bootloader now but i stlil cant get into recovery mode.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Rice helps soak up moisture in the phone. Its a very common practice. I would take your battery out and try using the rice. It might help. Also try to leave the phone off for 24 hours or so. It can damage it permanently if you try and power up a wet device.

OP
Silvernirvash

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
Rice helps soak up moisture in the phone. Its a very common practice. I would take your battery out and try using the rice. It might help. Also try to leave the phone off for 24 hours or so. It can damage it permanently if you try and power up a wet device.
i see.....so rise would absorb the water...hmmm....what should i do after then? because i can't get it past the M logo and woudlnt recovering through bootloader unroot me?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Flash an sbf after you let it dry and then root it again. If you sbf back to 2.0.1 the rooting process is very straightforward. Its as easy as dropping an update.zip file on your sdcard and flashing it in stock recovery.

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
wait but how do i get into recovery mode? it wont let me pass the M logo to get to it?

pull the battery and as you put it back in hold down the x key on the physical keyboard. Power back on while still holding x if it doesn't power up when putting the battery back in.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
To flash an sbf, you don't need to boot the phone up, all you need to do is boot into bootloader to flash it. Wait out the 24hrs or however long for it to dry and then flash an sbf, then wipe data/factory reset (in stock recovery), then boot the phone up normally and re-root.

OP
Silvernirvash

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
ah thanks guys really for all the help
i might still upgrade to the droid 3 anyway later in the week but until then the d-1 will have to hold out when i finally re-root lol.

any word on when the d-3 will be rootable though?

OP
Silvernirvash

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
ok so now it boots up normally but it freaks out like it goes into search and stuff on its own typing stuff and gets all buggy. i know i turned it on sooner than i should have but it seems to boot up well again. only issue is that stupid buggy thing and the vibration isn't working anymore either. should i just leave it off in rice more or what?

oh and how would i get into bootloader mode now that it doesn't load it automatically when i stick the battery in?

snokki

Reaction score
If rice will soak all of its moisture then maybe it get started but if it won't than i think it will done. cause if water inserts in its chips then maybe it will get damage.by the way as i know some parts definitely not gonna work after boot cause it gets damaged a bit.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Plus if you keep turning it on before letting it sit in the rice for 24 hours or so, there is a real good shot you are causing more damage to the phone. When you turn it on before it completely dries you risk shorting stuff out.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.