Droid Update

Irie_Feeling

Reaction score
Ok. so my droid Eris is still using 2.1. Is there an update for 2.2 or what? And as well, how do i root my phone so i can clear my phone storage, im constantly getting the "Low on Space" message and im tired of deleting things i want but cant keep. HELP PLEASE

Threeball

Reaction score
No updates will be available from Verizon. Good news is that u can root, as u mentioned, and do what u want. Look at the posts at the top of this forum. One is called "(guide) root and flash..." Follow those instructions. Theres another one for some details on all the diff roms available.

If u have problems rooting, just ask. Lots of people around to help.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App

G

Grimster

Eris was discontinued long ago. There will be no more updates from Verizon. The Eris was outdated even the day it was released. Its the same hardware as the first android phone (G1).

OP
Irie_Feeling

Irie_Feeling

Reaction score
Eris was discontinued long ago. There will be no more updates from Verizon. The Eris was outdated even the day it was released. Its the same hardware as the first android phone (G1).

Well the Eris may have been discontinued but the Android Operating System hasnt. Why wont they still send updates so i can run 2.2 rather than crappy glitchy 2.1

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eris is running Gingerbread (if you want to root) :icon_ banana: Droid was discontinued too, and is rumored to get GB pushed OTA. It has more to do with the manufacturer and carrier than the OS.

G

Grimster

Well the Eris may have been discontinued but the Android Operating System hasnt. Why wont they still send updates so i can run 2.2 rather than crappy glitchy 2.1
Because they dont care. The Eris was a gimmick developed by HTC and Verizon to get rid of the remaining stock of very old and slow ARM11 chipsets. The phone is obsolete.

projektorboy

Reaction score

Would you ask a computer built in 1999 for Windows 98 to try to run Windows 7 today? That's kind of the same thing that's happening for the Eris.

It's a natural progression. Phone hardware is getting more powerful, so the AndroidOS is going to be built to take advantage of that extra power. The Eris hardware isn't that fast to begin with, as well.

Be lucky that you're able to get FroYo on the Eris via rooting/alternate recovery.

For what it's worth, I was able to painlessly get root on the Eris by using the tool at www.unrevoked.com - the Eris isn't specifically mentioned but the software will root an Eris just fine.

Last edited: