Droid update killed battery life & gets too hot

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by narquam, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mfvargo

mfvargo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem, narrowed to gmail sync

I have experienced this same problem with shortened battery life and phone heating up. I was not able to pinpoint to that update, but sounds about right. I have narrowed it down to sync'ing. If I disable sync, the phone behaves as before (similar battery life as reported in the first post). When I enable sync and look at the gmail sync settings, I can see it sync'ing over and over again. It never stops (the little sync icon never goes away) unless I just disable sync altogether. Facebook seems to be sync'ing ok.

Not sure how to zap the gmail settings back to initial to start over.

Mike

2. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Mine has started to get hot lately and it seems like the battery charge doesn't last as long. The major change has been the additon of the original Moto Dock which I use every night. How do I tell if it's app(s) that are misbehaving?

Also, if I need to do a hard reset, how do I go about it and will I lose my vids/music/pics on my microSD card? One more Q, will it automatically reload all my aps? If it does then it'll probably go back to heating up.

As always,
    TIA

#14 DessoThumbs, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I think you really shouldn't worry about the heat. My battery got to 118 the other day and while that is high, Motorola states that 113 degrees is OK.

However if you insist on doing a hard reset:

1. Turn the Droid off. If it won’t turn off, take the battery out then place it back in.

2. Open the keyboard and press the X key while pressing and holding Power. The device will power on. Keep holding the buttons down until a yellow triangle appers.

3. Press the Camera and Volume Up buttons at the same time to get to the menu. (I had to press them several times).

4. Use the direction pad to the right of the keyboard to select the Format option.

You will have to reinstall your apps. Your paid apps will be in the downloads and you won't get charged again. All data will get wiped. I'm not sure what happens with your SD card.

4. JayMonster

JayMonster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    All the Data on the SD Card remains.

5. kbur316

kbur316 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have my sync on at all times as well, just because i like getting G-mails even when i am out and about.

i'm 19 and in college, so i am not home and near a PC as much as most. my phone has gotten noticeably warm before, but nothing i worried about. i am concerned greatly about battery life though.

i got the update out-of-box because i only got my DROID two weeks ago. i only have 1 of the 3 home screens fully devoted to apps, and the other has google search, power control, music player shortcut, and a digital clock widget. the third screen is still blank. i only have a handful of 3rd-party apps on it.

my question is, will leaving sync off really improve my battery that significantly?

(i enjoy receiving e-mails on-the-go, but i could do without most of the time if it gave me more battery!)

6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Gmail is pushed and I don't think it is much of a drain. The main drain is screen brightness. Don't use the auto screen control setting and set brightness as low as you can tolerate.

I have my phone overclocked to 1.25Ghz and screen down to min unless I'm in bright sun and I get through an entire day (off charge at 5:30 and back on charge at 10:30/11:00PM). I'll usually have 30-40% charge left by then. And I use it a lot during each day.

Search tags for this page

android phone hot short battery

do updates drain battery on droid mini phones

droid charge short battery life warm

droid phone is hot

motorola moto x battery gets hot drains

since my droids update phone gets hot and drains battery

why does my android phone slows down and gets real hot

why does the camera on my droid gets very hot

why is my droid getting so hot after a verizon update

why is my droid max getting hot and draining my battery