motorola droid antenna getting hot

geetarspaz

Reaction score
i have had two motorola droids and both had this issue where the antenna (big rectangle near camera) gets very, very warm during heavy use(if that). if im on yahoo messenger, or surfing the web, or using gps it gets really hot. sometimes i put it up to the cars air conditioner or a fan if nearby because i feel it should be getting this warm(hot). i notice when i put it on wifi it cools down a bit after awhile, but still warm

anyone else have this?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Welcome to smartphones. The heavier and longer you use the internal antennas for anything especially in combination, streaming pandora and GPS for instance, the hotter they get. If you have it charging while doing that it will even produce more heat because a byproduct of charging a battery is heat. Your best bet is an A/C mount that can be had for like $15 - $20 if you are going to use GPS and stream, etc... heavily in a car. Otherwise it will just get hot.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nope no hot antenna here.. i do have shell on there i took it off to test surfed web and been doing facebook chat almost all day and it is not even a little warm (which is more than i can say for battery)

OP
G

geetarspaz

Reaction score
thank you for the responses so far,

even little use with the web and simple things can get it warm, but you really do notice it during gps use which i can understand that

JCo352

Reaction score
I don't think thats the antenna, that is where the cpu is located. Everyone's gets warm.

FrostMan

Reaction score
That location next to the camera is actually the CPU location I believe. It reaches temps of 110+ easily while doing CPU intensive tasks, I find flash can put it about 120 degrees easily.

OP
G

geetarspaz

Reaction score
hm, always thought that was the antenna, thanks

where is the antenna located then?

OP
G

geetarspaz

Reaction score
ahh there we go thats gotta be it. well that'll give me one reason to like that "chin" gap on the phone

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Mine reaches temperatures of 130 F when using the GPS and Pandora , nothing to worry , that's the processor not the antenna and it can withstand temperatures of 200F . The only drawback to this is that Li-Ion batteries are degrading faster when running in hot environments .