Droid Turbo Audio Issue

SplittingSkull1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I Recently god a 2014 Droid Turbo. It was still in the box and everything. i let it update and its now running Android 6.0.1 and is experiencing A VERY quiet audio issue. The Phone is not damaged and was fine for a few days before it happened. I have Factory reset, Cleared The Caches, and even taken out the battery, But none of this helped. Its as if the "Ringer" and "Media" speakers are using the earspeaker.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
It is a known problem. I have about 4 Turbos. Still have a brand new one in the box, well it's out of the box, but I haven't switched the current one out with it. It only gets worse, until you cant hear anything. Motorola and Verizon play the blame game. The good news is that a blue tooth or external speakers do make it function as a phone. The audio apps are useless as well as a fix. I do hope you got some kind of warranty. Everything is fine until 6.0 then it happens. Mine have all degraded over time, the first step is probably 50% loss of volume, I can live with that until I have to sit in a dead quiet room to have a conversation or whip out the ear buds. I think I get about a year before the volume reaches 10-15% levels. Good luck.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
as previously mentioned it is a known problem.

some possible solutions to try, if you had not already
  • Hold the volume all the way down to low, and then raise it back up.
  • Go to Settings – Sound Settings – Audio Effects and turn of the equalizer for the phone speaker.
  • Turn off Audio effects and “Voice Privacy.”
  • Try using the Slider Widget application to gain better control over all available volumes. Some are automatically turned off by default.
7 common problems with the Motorola Droid Turbo and how to fix them

OP
SplittingSkull1

SplittingSkull1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
as previously mentioned it is a known problem.

some possible solutions to try, if you had not already
  • Hold the volume all the way down to low, and then raise it back up.
  • Go to Settings – Sound Settings – Audio Effects and turn of the equalizer for the phone speaker.
  • Turn off Audio effects and “Voice Privacy.”
  • Try using the Slider Widget application to gain better control over all available volumes. Some are automatically turned off by default.
7 common problems with the Motorola Droid Turbo and how to fix them
None of the audio effect tricks worked, as the audio effects settings are missing from my device. Is there any case that has an external speaker built in to fix this sound issue, or a root mod to fix this?

Please update me, I'm brand new to Android.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
there are cases with built in speakers. not sure if there are any for your specific phone but it would be worth a search.

OP
SplittingSkull1

SplittingSkull1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
there are cases with built in speakers. not sure if there are any for your specific phone but it would be worth a search.
I did a decently deep search yesterday and found none for the Droid Turbo Specifically, so this makes me winder, if the OS is the issue, would rooting unlock the potential to fix this terrible issue?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
None of the audio effect tricks worked, as the audio effects settings are missing from my device. Is there any case that has an external speaker built in to fix this sound issue, or a root mod to fix this?

Please update me, I'm brand new to Android.

If you already removed the battery, just fiddle a little deeper and replace the speaker module. Last check had them on eBay for under 10 bucks. And there is a tutorial on YouTube. I was always curious if that was a fix, temporary no doubt. My belief is it is 6.0.1 is over driving the speaker module and degrading it over time.

OP
SplittingSkull1

SplittingSkull1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
If you already removed the battery, just fiddle a little deeper and replace the speaker module. Last check had them on eBay for under 10 bucks. And there is a tutorial on YouTube. I was always curious if that was a fix, temporary no doubt. My belief is it is 6.0.1 is over driving the speaker module and degrading it over time.
Well, I guess it resorts to this. I just worry that i will end up hurting something. I Don't Understand how an OS can degrade speakers, as you thought, Could you explain kindly?

OP
SplittingSkull1

SplittingSkull1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I did a decently deep search yesterday and found none for the Droid Turbo Specifically, so this makes me winder, if the OS is the issue, would rooting unlock the potential to fix this terrible issue?
ALSO, would downgrading be a considerable fix? or do you think that the Damage is Done?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
All mine have started off perfectly, my original lasted until the update, then shortly there after the volume kept decreasing over time. Waited for a patch to fix it, but no, the turbo doesn't have a problem. One I bought and it didn't have the update, it forced itself on there, within a month the volume decreased. last two had 6.0.1 installed from new. same crap. I even made an attempt to never set the volume to 100%, started off with 75% or so, same thing. IDK if the phone is pushing too much amperage for the module or what. Like I said I have one new one left then I will move past the Turbo.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Another thing, not all Turbo's suffered from this fate to my knowledge. But than again Marshmallow did come at the end of the turbo's life cycle.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
And I'll add, I never sent one of mine off to have a speaker module installed because I was quoted 150 from Verizon and a new one was 150. Thus no experience on a speaker/battery replacement fix.

OP
SplittingSkull1

SplittingSkull1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
And I'll add, I never sent one of mine off to have a speaker module installed because I was quoted 150 from Verizon and a new one was 150. Thus no experience on a speaker/battery replacement fix.
Well mines honestly probably going to have quiet audio until I get a new phone. Hopefully it lasts till October.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
A nice Bluetooth setup works for phone functions, and media purposes. The speaker plug is not effected, either.