Droid screen goes blank when I slide it open

y2kgtp

Reaction score
This just started happening a week or so ago. My screen will go blank when I slide the phone open. If you look carefully you can see the display, it's just not lit.

Any ideas? I guess I can try a factory reset first.....

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This just started happening a week or so ago. My screen will go blank when I slide the phone open. If you look carefully you can see the display, it's just not lit.

So the backlight only works when the Droid is closed, and if you open the keyboard, the backlight ceases to work, or is it just very faint? Just trying to understand here...

OP
Y

y2kgtp

Reaction score

So the backlight only works when the Droid is closed, and if you open the keyboard, the backlight ceases to work, or is it just very faint? Just trying to understand here...

It's black\off for all purposes here....if you hold it under a light real close, you can barely see the screen.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do the keys light up when you pulll out the keyboard? Or is everything dark?

OP
Y

y2kgtp

Reaction score
Do the keys light up when you pulll out the keyboard? Or is everything dark?

No, those are out as well. Sometimes, if I ever so slowly open the phone, I can get it to stay on when the orientation switches.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

Reaction score
The Keyboard and the 4 touch buttons at the bottom of the phone DO light up when it is slid open, but the screen is blank.

Sometimes, if you slide the phone open ever-so-sloooooowly, I have managed to keep the screen on.

I believe it's a hardware problem of some sort. I did a factory reset of the phone, and still have the same issue.

I will be going to Verizon corporate store in the near future to see what they think, worse case senerio, I have full insurance on the phone, but this seems like a defect top me and should be covered as under a year.

HeathCliff

Reaction score
I downloaded a free app called Screebl - it serves two functions. The first is that it functions to keep the screen lit when it's in any position but lying totally flat. And turns off the screen when lying flat, and you set how long it should stay on before turning off the light. But as a function of keeping the screen on when it's in your hand, is that it keeps the phone screen lit. it's the only way that this glitch in the Droid software enables the screen to stay lit when you use the phone.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

Reaction score
I downloaded a free app called Screebl - it serves two functions. The first is that it functions to keep the screen lit when it's in any position but lying totally flat. And turns off the screen when lying flat, and you set how long it should stay on before turning off the light. But as a function of keeping the screen on when it's in your hand, is that it keeps the phone screen lit. it's the only way that this glitch in the Droid software enables the screen to stay lit when you use the phone.

Tried it. Nada, same thing.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like hardware then. I guess you're down to seeing what Verizon has to say.... :mad:

ohioDroid

Reaction score
The Keyboard and the 4 touch buttons at the bottom of the phone DO light up when it is slid open, but the screen is blank.

Sometimes, if you slide the phone open ever-so-sloooooowly, I have managed to keep the screen on.

I believe it's a hardware problem of some sort. I did a factory reset of the phone, and still have the same issue.

I will be going to Verizon corporate store in the near future to see what they think, worse case senerio, I have full insurance on the phone, but this seems like a defect top me and should be covered as under a year.

I had this EXACT same issue. You could see the screen but the light wouldn't come on. Sleeping the phone and then reawakening it sometimes helped. It was only occasional for me.

The problems got worse over time. No screen would appear at all. The only way to fix it was to reboot. Eventually, it got to the point where the screen would turn black, and the phone would on its own enter a reboot cycle that it couldn't get out of. And it would never display the M bootloader, as the screen still didn't work...

I think it was hardware, I took it to Verizon and then gave me a refurbished phone as a replacement.

qkpony

Reaction score
Mine is doing the samething I have noticed it happens when it slides past the 3 rd row of keys. Like if it is half way over the A part of the keyboard everything works I can even slide it up screen goes off I can trype close to the A and read what I typed

Roland Stone

Reaction score
Dang it, the same thing started happening to me this week on my refurb which I've had for about two months and was working fine until this. I wonder if it might be kernel related though. I'll try some other kernels and report back if the problem goes away.