Blank Screen Issue

Lyo

Reaction score
Hi, I searched but could not find an existing thread to match the issue I am experiencing, so it seems it could use its own thread.

Yesterday my Droid's screen went blank and no fiddling could get it out. Even after a battery pull the screen remained blank (the keyboard backlight will turn on when pulled out). The touch screen is still responsive - I was even able to blindly navigate to both my power control panel (making the blank-black screen "brighter") and attach the phone's SD card to my PC. The camera happily takes pictures, so it seems the only real issue is with the display.

Attempts to both boot in safemode and a factory reset failed, because the screen remains blank, but those menus seem to load up based on the vibration of the phone.

The screen remains blank if I try to boot without the SD card or with only wall power.

Another point of intrigue: if anyone calls or sends an SMS the phone restarts itself. Upon restart the green notification light blinks to let me know I missed their call.

If anyone can offer any insight, it would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum lyo! So sorry you're having problems. are you rooted or using stock 2.1? did this just suddenly start happening? if you're stock i'd say you have a lemon and i'd just return it to verizon for a new phone. good luck :D

OP
L

Lyo

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum lyo! So sorry you're having problems. are you rooted or using stock 2.1? did this just suddenly start happening? if you're stock i'd say you have a lemon and i'd just return it to verizon for a new phone. good luck :D

Thanks. I'm running stock 2.1 without any sort of third party loaders or home screens. I've had the phone for nearly six months with no real issues otherwise.

Droid_User_NC

Reaction score
Blank screen too

I have a similar problem. My phone was working great. Then, I picked it up after the phone sat idle for an hour our so. When I tried to access the phone I got a black screen. I have tried removing the battery multiple times but I still get the black screen. The phone turns on, the display keys light up, and the green LED indicator blinks but the display stays black. I've had my phone for about 6 months.

OP
L

Lyo

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. My phone was working great. Then, I picked it up after the phone sat idle for an hour our so. When I tried to access the phone I got a black screen. I have tried removing the battery multiple times but I still get the black screen. The phone turns on, the display keys light up, and the green LED indicator blinks but the display stays black. I've had my phone for about 6 months.

Well, it's good to know I am not the only one with the problem. I tried a full battery cycle and still the screen is blank, so it's back to the store I go. Impressively enough: the alarm clock still goes off in the morning, and I can still perfectly tap the snooze button.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Well, it's good to know I am not the only one with the problem. I tried a full battery cycle and still the screen is blank, so it's back to the store I go. Impressively enough: the alarm clock still goes off in the morning, and I can still perfectly tap the snooze button.

I'm sorry you guys are having this trouble, truly I am, but that last sentence was a classic! :rofl3:

OP
L

Lyo

Reaction score

I'm sorry you guys are having this trouble, truly I am, but that last sentence was a classic! :rofl3:

Yeah, even I had to laugh at that in the morning. When returning a defunct phone is there any way to purge the phone of the data that might be saved to the phone itself (rather than the SD card)? Google passwords, SMS and the like.

OP
L

Lyo

Reaction score
Update: I went into a VZW authorized retailer and they happily arranged that a replacement be sent to me. Unfortunately, I received a refurb in the mail with a microphone that does not detect any input. So it looks like I am going to have to start the whole process over.