Blank screen issues

jgreg

Reaction score
About the only issue I am having with my Droid is the screen going blank during a call, which it is supposed to do, but not coming back on when the call is over.

Anyone having the same problem?

kidsareheroes

Reaction score
Re Blank Sceren

Yep, I am having this same problem. I was hoping to find a solution here. Sometimes the screen does go blank during a call. It does go blank but if you take the phone away from you ear the screen is supposed to reappear. This only happens sometimes for me. I read about a "bad bunch of Droids" that had a similar issue. I called my salesman and he told me he has seen this on every Droid he has sold. The "solution" is to lay the phone flat on a table and the screen will reappear. This did work for me. Not too helpful when I am in the car. This is reason enough for me to return my Droid. I would love to hear a better more permanent solution if anyone has one.

OK - after much more digging I discovered that "laying it flat on a table" might work but has nothing to do with the issue. At risk of outing myself as an idiot I leave the solution here for others who are doing the same thing as me. If when you pull the phone away from your ear you keep your thumb over and/or near the proximity sensor (which is the in upper left area of the screen) this problem will happen. Turns out that was the natural way for me to hold the device; now that I know that I believe the problem is solved.

Last edited:

zerosignal0

Reaction score
I had a launch phone that worked GREAT except for this problem. I went to verizon 2 days ago and showed them how it would happen and got them to give me another phone. Problem solved now. Basically its the light sensor on the front of the phone having adverse effects when it has direct light on it. Try going on a call outside in the sun and pull the phone away from your face tilted towards a light source and it will probably stay black.

If you are going to have verizon swap it make sure you take a nandroid backup so you dont loose everything as well and be ready for your 4 home buttons to be a pinkish purple instead of solid white...

kalderz

Reaction score
Thanks. That solved problem for me.

I was having the same issue. When I called voice mail the screen would often blank out when I was needing to input my password and use the 7 or 9 keys to delete or save messages. So frustrating. I can see now that the upper left portion of the screen is sensitive and turns off the screen when you have your finger or thumb on it. Now I know I am good to go.

kalderz

Reaction score
They should let people know about this

Verizon should tell people when they buy their phones that there is a proximity sensor in the left top of the screen that turns off the display when it is covered, so people don't think their phone is malfunctioning.

brew73

Reaction score
Try the App KeepScreen. So far so good for me. You tell it when to keep the screen on.