Blank screen, not from call

joneee

Reaction score
Hi. I tried researching and found that a lot of people get blank screens from calls or their screen just happened to die, period.

Mine will randomly go blank while the four buttons on the bottom stay lit. You can actually tell that the screen turned on, but its blank. First time this happened was when I misplugged my phone from my computer. Everything was fine until I unplugged it and blank screen. Now it happens at random times throughout the day. When I wake up, after a call, when I receive a call (and can't answer because screen not responding), after I plug into usb, etc.

A battery pull always fixes it, but I'm wondering what the cause of it is.
Tried wiping, reinstalling update, rooting and installing new ROM. That didn't fix it.

Using Home++, Rooted with SholesMod and Running Sholes ROM 2.0.3
However, the blank screen happened before rooting and running Sholes ROM.

Anyone else experiencing this random blank screen issue and using Home++?

zschiffman

Reaction score
having the same issue lately...unrooted here. i'll get a call and get a blank screen...dont know whose calling...cant answer...cant do anything until i battery pull.

very very annoying.

SLAYER6669

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue all of a sudden too. It started last night. I just grabbed the phone and plugged it in and nothing happened. I tried turning the screen on and it was like the phone was dead. I had to pull the battery and it booted and worked fine after that.. I just grabbed my phone again right now and went to turn the screen on and nothing.. Thats why I came on here to see if anyone else has this problem. I am not rooted and I am using Home++. Not sure what is causing this.

Wahoodroider

Reaction score
Same here

I started having the same problem the past week. Happened twice: suddenly the screen freezes and won't work, after reboot buttons are lit and alerts keep sounding off but screen is not working. I can see that the screen is on when the lights are off, but no images show up.

Each time it took MANY battery pulls before it booted up correctly again (i.e., with the screen operating) -- the second time it took several days of trying.

I just uninstalled most of my apps (esp. the most recent) to see if memory was an issue or if any of the apps were messing with the phone.

Anyone else out there is this problem?

geezergeek

Reaction score
Black screen

I've been experiencing this as well. I keep simplifying my configuration to see if that fixes the problem, fewer apps and widgets.

So far, not so good.

Things I've noticed: Everything except the screen seems to still function. I can turn on my phone and swipe to unlock, although I have to guess where to swipe. If I press and hold power, I can get the "Phone options" pop-up and select Power off (guessing location again). When I power back on, everything is OK again (have done this once, previous times, I've done the remove battery and then reboot, which usually works).

Next time this happens, I'll have to check the logs for any error messages.

I'm guessing a resource problem, but I haven't found a program or app to monitor and log all resources for later inspection -- that would be a nice app.

So far, no solutions.

geezergeek

Reaction score
Blank screen fixed

The problem turned out to be hardware, specifically the keyboard. While it was happening every 2-3 days, it was very difficult to track down what was wrong. However, it got progressively worse until it would freeze/blank almost immediately on booting -- and would always freeze if I closed the keyboard.

Happily, it was still under warranty and I'm getting a replacement.

Last edited: