droid razr hd wont update

tony442

Reaction score
Hi I'm running a rooted RAZR HD and I got the notification for update downloaded it twice and failed to install do I have to in root and then do it

djspy

Reaction score
Same thing is happening to me. Voodoo OTA Root Keeper doesn't work. As soon as I reboot the phone it restores root access. I first protected root and tried installing the update and it failed. Then I tried installing the update without protecting root and it failed also. I'm guessing we do have to unroot.

georgenazar

Reaction score
Same thing is happening to me. Voodoo OTA Root Keeper doesn't work. As soon as I reboot the phone it restores root access. I first protected root and tried installing the update and it failed. Then I tried installing the update without protecting root and it failed also. I'm guessing we do have to unroot.

Do NOT update a rooted Droid RAZR HD once you have it rooted or you will lose root forever. My roommate updated his and lost root. I cannot re-root it and nobody has written a way around what Verizon has pushed to the Droid RAZR HD and HD MAXX. If your bootloader was previously unlocked, and you were rooted (obviously) then the update will fail, thank the Android gods. He was rooted but not unlocked. Mine was both rooted and unlocked.

If your bootloader was unlocked, and the update did go through, you can flash a different rooted rom.
If you were not unlocked prior to the last update, you can no longer root, unlock, flash. You are stuck with a Verizon locked down RAZR HD or RAZR HD MAXX dumbphone. I got rid of my roommates locked HD and treasure my one of a kind White Droid Razr maxx HD, It was an HD but I upgraded it to a maxx. It has an unlocked bootloader and is rooted.

I do not know what I am going to do when KitKat rolls out to the HDs. I think my only choice is load a kitkat based rooted rom and flash it.

Sorry to tell you guys but unless something changes, and it probably will not anytime soon, you are un rooted in the Verizon water
Nobody is putting effort into fixing the verizon "fix". The hackers are working on KitKat hacks.

Mark my word, once you hear that the HDs have received kitkat early next year, give it one week and there will be a kitkat flashable rooted rom for the HDs and an unlocking hack,

I will be waiting in the same line.

lloydsw

Reaction score
Interesting.... I'm rooted, did the update before seeing this thread. I successfully did the update, and still have root. Whew!