Droid Pro vs. BB Torch: both 1 cent, thoughts?

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
Went from BB Storm to Droid Pro. I could never go back. Big initial learning curve for a BB user (first 24 hours was really frustrating for me) and battery life is not great- but this phone is really functional in so many more ways. I can send an e-mail without cursing and I can really use the internet browser as if I'm using Google Chrome on my PC - and web browsing is fast. On the BB, I always had to wonder if a website was going to appear.

+1. Well said.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Amazon is selling both of these phones for 1 cent (link, if interested)

Former BB owners: what made you pick the Droid Pro over the Torch?

I was a BB user for years. I would probably still be using a BB if the Torch had come to Verizon. But, the fact that I had been wanting a touch screen phone, WiFi, bigger screen, faster/better OS, larger selection of apps and a more "state of the art" phone in general and the fact that I was not willing to move to AT&T, I decide to try out the Pro...GLAD I DID. Love the phone...not going back to BB.

SDGuy

Reaction score
I hope RIM is listening. Not giving a Torch like phone to Verizon was a big mistake for them. BB advocates like us may never have switched.

But now that we switched, we know the secret. Android, even though it is an upstart, has mopped the floor with Blackberry in many respects. To me, the browsing experience is light years ahead on the Droid Pro.

google123

Reaction score
I also have used different BB devices over the years. My first smartphone was a BB Pearl 8130. From there I ended up with various other devices including a curve 8330, a Flip 8230, and a Tour 9630. I also had an HTC Droid Eris and the original Droid as well as using my brothers Droid Incredible for a bit. If I had to choose between the Pro and the Torch, I would choose the Pro. Even if they were both available on the same carrier I would choose the Pro.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

google123

Reaction score
After watching Lazaridis @ D: Dive into Mobile you could ask him if he preferred Droid Pro or Torch, his response would be: why yes, I do like scratch n sniff stickers and the playbook is a cool platform that when dual core processors go mainstream in the mobile market the BB OS will have better QNX management capabilities.......hahahaha. He was on crack that day. LOL.

jhumbo

Reaction score
Went from BB Storm to Droid Pro. I could never go back. Big initial learning curve for a BB user (first 24 hours was really frustrating for me) and battery life is not great- but this phone is really functional in so many more ways. I can send an e-mail without cursing and I can really use the internet browser as if I'm using Google Chrome on my PC - and web browsing is fast. On the BB, I always had to wonder if a website was going to appear.

I didn't come from a Blackberry, but rather from Palm (Treo600, Treo650, Centro) and I have very similar sentiments. I really, really wanted a phone with a better web browsing experience and a large selection of apps AND a front-facing, non-slide-out keyboard. I gave Blackberry and Palm Pre serious consideration before the Droid Pro was available since non of the Android phones out there had the form factor I was looking for. I was so glad to see the Droid Pro and have been very happy with it and do not regret it one bit.

zenivzen

Reaction score
For me BB was my first bicycle with training wheels. The original droid was my first big kid bike. Now with the DP I can't stress the empowerment with the bb style querty and the android brains. And the droid market is unreal with the amount of developers out there. When I think back to my bb curve days I think caveman brow and thumbs on my feet.
One last thing, I don't question those phones on Amazon for a penny, I just would bet they charge the entire value in shipping. I call it entrapment but whatever, buyer beware, just don't confirm an order until you look at the bottom line.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
True, BB battery life is generally better than competing phones. Not sure why other makers can't emulate that.

The phones are so slow, they couldn't possibly eat through a battery very fast. Other manufacturers can't match the battery life with this much processing power. It's like comparing a calculator to a laptop lol.

Sent from the hand of zeus!

1person

Reaction score
I hope RIM is listening. Not giving a Torch like phone to Verizon was a big mistake for them. BB advocates like us may never have switched.

But now that we switched, we know the secret. Android, even though it is an upstart, has mopped the floor with Blackberry in many respects. To me, the browsing experience is light years ahead on the Droid Pro.

RIM was listening. The new software and 3 devices hitting the seen this summer should rock.

I left BB when the Pro came out for 2 reasons: 1) touch screen 2) android market

With that said I'm stoked to see the new devices RIM is offering.

With so many users switching OS (myself included) the real question is: is it too little, too late?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
For me BB was my first bicycle with training wheels. The original droid was my first big kid bike. Now with the DP I can't stress the empowerment with the bb style querty and the android brains. And the droid market is unreal with the amount of developers out there. When I think back to my bb curve days I think caveman brow and thumbs on my feet.
One last thing, I don't question those phones on Amazon for a penny, I just would bet they charge the entire value in shipping. I call it entrapment but whatever, buyer beware, just don't confirm an order until you look at the bottom line.

False. What you see is what you get.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the BB Bold Touch (Montana) that's rumored to be out in the next couple of months. If it's still running the same blech 6.0 OS, I'll pass. Maybe RIM will surprise everyone and have a new QNX-powered mobile OS on it.

Sometimes I still find myself longing for the clicky feel of physical send and end keys and the trackpad. The keyboard on the Droid Pro is decent for sure, but still nowhere as great as a BB 9650 Bold in my opinion.