Droid Pro Battery Life

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If You use wifi in certain locations and not other's try Y5 battery saver in the market. Automatically shuts of wifi when it cannot connect to a "remembered" location.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

shockdroid

Reaction score
I agree with you. Mine sucks also. I can't wait for a beast extended battery.

startracker64

Reaction score
I agree with RanMan, in order to have the battery last longer, I shut everything off, Bluetooth, wifi, GPS, Sync. Dim the display, this makes the battery last much longer when these features are off when not in use. I also went to ebay, and bought an extra battery, really good deals there. I got 2 batteries and charger for $10. I have a Droid 1, so prices may vary. I carry 1 extra battery everywhere just in case. Never really had to resort to that much if all those features are shut off....

kilofox

Reaction score
One thing to remember -- especially for those of you using the android os for the first time -- you are in all probability using/exploring your new phone more than you normally will a couple of weeks from now because of the phone's newness.

Battery life will auto-magically get better, when in reality you are not using the phone as much as you did when you first got it.

This has been the case with every new phone I have ever gotten.

AverageCanadian

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting this phone if I can unlock it and use it in Canada so I came across this thread.

Come from other Android phones I will give out a few suggestions.

A. I find it usually takes a week for the battery to learn then it gets a bit better.

B. If you've rooted your phone you can try installed setCPU, so you can lower the cpu speed when the screen is off and such.

C. Wifi when connected uses much less power than the 3G radio, so if you can connect via wifi. There are apps out there that will turn your wifi on/off depending on your GPS location

ravenhawk

Reaction score
There's also the matter of conditioning the battery. I just started using my phone right out of the box, since the new batteries aren't supposed to need conditioning, but was advised to do this by VZW. Believe it or not, it does seem to have helped.

I should be getting my replacement Droid Pro in the mail tomorrow (trying to see if the poor phone call quality and reception is just a fluke on the one I have) and will condition that battery right from the start. Meanwhile, I ordered a charging dock for at home, another one for at work, have a car charger in the car, and leave my charger that came with the phone at my lady-friend's place for when I spend the night, lol.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

eus107709

Reaction score
I forgot to charge my phone last night, leaving it around 50%. I woke up in the morning and it was completely drained. That tells me that the phone is using too much battery when idle. In contrast, my rooted Droid hardly used any battery when idle. I have a screenshot of it at 60-70% power after 24 hours.. I didn't use it much that weekend.

Hopefully we can figure out what is killing the battery when idle...

ravenhawk

Reaction score
I had 90% when I went to bed at around midnight. Woke up at around 4am because of the warning sound it made as it shut down because the battery was totally drained... then again, it wasn't at my house, so maybe the thing kept searching for a signal or wifi or something? I didn't disable the wifi.

eus107709

Reaction score
Weak signal and Wifi on shouldn't drain the battery that drastically, unless the Droid Pro is programmed much differently than the original Droid. My home has terrible Verizon coverage so I had ample opportunities to test that out :icon_frown:

eus107709

Reaction score
Screen Timeout Widget

This app doesn't solve the phone idle battery drain problem, but it should help during other times.

Screen Timeout Widget
Screen timeout - Sisedi media
Available in the market

As you've probably figured out by the name, this widget lets you quickly adjust the time it takes for the screen to "timeout" and lock itself. Since I instant message and text a lot, it saves me a ton of button presses to the power button.

My usage...

8 second timeout, "instant message" mode
30 second timeout, "general usage" mode
60 second timeout, "browser or kindle reading" mode

Hope someone finds this useful.

BubbaRob

Reaction score
I switched over from a Blackberry Tour and on the Droid Pro I went into Settings > Wireless and Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode and selected CDMA. It was defaulted to Global mode. This really made a huge difference on my Tour's battery life. I would wake up and have lost 50% battery until I switched it to CDMA only. I figured the Droid Pro had a similar setting and it does. I just got the phone so I have no idea if it will help or not, just throwing it out there for others to try.

2020is

Reaction score
It was defaulted to Global mode. This really made a huge difference on my Tour's battery life. I would wake up and have lost 50% battery until I switched it to CDMA only. I figured the Droid Pro had a similar setting and it does. I just got the phone so I have no idea if it will help or not, just throwing it out there for others to try.

I was wondering about this as well, especially on the first day of use. My battery life was horrible on the first day(Tues) after a full charge before use on Monday night and then charging again while sleeping. Wed and today(Thurs) have been fine(over 40% battery right now after a few videos/sports scores/browsing this evening) but I am not a "power" user. My phone does receive gmail/exchange data all day(I think 15min right now) on my desk.

I really think the std battery is going to be great for my use.

ross8428

Reaction score
Disable sync with the power widget. You will double the battery life. You will just have to turn it on to check email. I have gmail and another account running to my computer, so I do not need to check my email constantly when I dont have my phone. I was getting 10 hours life; disabled that, and I am getting over 20 hours without charging. It makes it from 8am - 12am every day with moderate usage. Oh and I have bluetooth and gps turned off as well. Plus I have the phone set to kill data after 15 minutes. Still works as a phone, still gets text messages, and the internet is ready to browse before I can even finish unlocking the phone. Terrific phone..

eus107709

Reaction score
After a couple of days usage, my battery life is still terrible. I switched from global mode to CDMA only but no luck. I'll keep tweaking, but it really is irritating that it cant even last as long as my OG droid.

Oh..and turning off data sync is not an option.

BubbaRob

Reaction score
After a couple of days usage, my battery life is still terrible. I switched from global mode to CDMA only but no luck. I'll keep tweaking, but it really is irritating that it cant even last as long as my OG droid.

Oh..and turning off data sync is not an option.

Exchange it for another phone. I have been off the charger since 1230p and made 3 short phone calls, browsed web for about 30 mins total, sent 32 text messages and am sitting at 80%, although I think its about ready to drop to 70% any moment. I am set to CDMA mode only, auto brightness, wifi and sync enabled all the time, GPS is off and whatever the battery saver mode is by default.

I am quite happy with the battery life but I am NOT a power user.

Last edited: